Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, September 08, 2006

It ain't like you think

PBS Frontline came to see us yesterday. Of all day's they came on a Friday, the Muslim Sabath. It just happened to be one where we were low on fuel for the generators. It's Iraqi fuel, which is often being stolen from, being used up in to many generators, etc. That wasn't an issue. They wanted a story, something with juice. They were'nt getting it. They showed up late, made a quick run out in the yard, shot some clips and talked to the Iraqi Col. They were clearly unhappy. They seen a tiny portion of what takes place. I suggested to the camera man to come at a better time. Several of us got the impression that they were'nt seeing things as they expected it.

This is a problem. So many people come over here, Reporters, Beaucrats, Congressman, they all rush through quickly talking strictly to commanders and when it's safe. This is not alway's an orchrastration from the Military as much as it's their nature. They will tell you they know what goes on here. When, in truth they got the grand tour in snapshot portions. People higher up on the food chain than me have pointed it out.

It's been said that truth is the first casualty of war. Part of that is because the truth is so hard to orient on. People see things differantly from differant angles. Some people just can't put the peices together. Admittanly, most people lie.

Frontline seen so little of what happened, staying on their schedule. They will come up with a very well put togethor presentation, they alway's do. I'm sorry to say it will be an incomplete presentation. People want to know what it's like here, and, we can't explain it. At least not in a short and easily comprehindable way.

A word on Frontline. I told the lady today that through them I learned of someone I knew along time ago being killed here. She asked me who and I told her. She knew who I was talking of...Wes Batalona, I may not spell it correctly. I was a new Private in 3rd Ranger Bn, and he was an SFC just getting back into the Regiment then. She knew who he was calling him by full name. He was working for Blackwater and was killed in Falluja, prompting the Battle there. Him and two other guy's.

Last week or was it the week before, they run togethor sometimes, I was at the Iraqi Gate talking to the American Advisor there. There's alway's alot of people there that time of day and alot was going on around us. Sudennly a Uaz Jeep came flying by. Someone had been shot outside of the gate in a drive by shooting. The Adisor took off after it. I later learned that it was an 8 year old kid that had been shot. He never cried or complained. The Medics stabalized him and they flew him off to a CASH. Nothing else has been heard of him. Lord willing he's OK.

As well I was at the American Gate waiting for a 'terp, that never showed up. I waited for him for quite some time. An Iraqi man came wanting to speek to the claims office. One side of his head was flat, leaning towards his temple while a crease, almost as is his hair had been parted was in the back. He had papers and Xray's, spoke calmly and qiuetly through an Interprator to an NCO that had to tell him to come later. He had somehow been shot in the head. The Interprator said as he walked away that he was now nothing, unable to work, now sexualy impotant making him unable to marry, a small man in their society. A PFC made crude jokes about him. If he had been causing trouble and hurting innocent people, then it serves him rightly. If he caught the stray round, then it's a shame.

Allot goes on here that you don't hear about. Everyone is quick to point that out. Most people have their minds made up either way about things here. Both sides in justifiabe ways, but, few people understand the day to day here.

Last night I went to a cook out. An officer I deal with often was promoted. He's a good one, especially for a Leutinant. It was catered by an Iraqi. There was kabob, allway's a pickle salad, pita bread, meat cooked in the same way as that for giro's. It was delicous. I was stuffed. The Iraqi chow hall wasn't bad tonight. I had shyed from there latley because the quality of food has suffered. I walked in just to say hello to an Iraqi counterpart and it was insisted that I eat. As alway's. The will give you the shirt off of their back and steal your gas.

Shot Out...
The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

I think I would choose gas over having a shirt too and I highly doubt their shirt would be anything that has been in fashion in the past 30 years.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It ain't like 1976 either, M(urf)!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Frontline - they've done some pretty good stuff over the years. But any kind of "news" thing ain't gonna get the flavor and karma of being there day-in-and-day-out and actually living the good, the bad, the ugly and the real ugly.

Heard one you might appreciate.

Do you know what the call duct tape here in eastern Kentucky?


Answer: Chrome

4:57 PM  
Blogger sage said...

interesting stuff and I love your last line about giving you the shirt off you back and stealing your gas...

9:45 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Keep your eye out for when they dress up, AI. You will flashback to 1976. :-)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Always learn something here.
Not the easy life by any means, glad you are finding some good in things there.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I like that AGT...And I used to do Chrome plating...

Sage, it's the truth.

Murf, No, it's a little differant. They wear alot of European clothes. Most writing is in English. I've seen a "I love Jesus" hat on a mess hall worker. Which one day one of he guy's who drives a "shit truck" out of the blue asked me if i was a Christian, I replied I was and he smiled and went about his buisness.

Lee Ann, I'm learning here too.

Well, my inteneet is back up, let's see if 4K can turn inot 128k...

4:51 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Jimmy K. said...

What is a pickle salad?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Cut up pickles with some sauce on it. Maybe a little oil. It's ussually sweet. Mid east people would be glad to tell you about it.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home