Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It All Started With The Cusp Of The Moon...

I’ve rotated back to days. Nights were good, other than sleeping odd hours. There’s only one thing going on at night, Security. At night you can focus on a task…at least a couple of small tasks.

Ramadan started yesterday (23Sep). Good Muslims are not supposed to eat during day light hours for the next month. I’ve seen several eating during the day though. You crave, so you pursue. It’s like Christians not having sex out of Wedlock. I don’t knock them, it would be hypocritical. It started with the waxing of the moon. Sometimes it’s in October, sometimes, November. Allot like Easter varying for us Christians. Or, people that take advantage of the holiday. Undoubtedly, it’s an excuse for someone to fight.

We’ve lost several from Taji over the last week. I’m honoring the blackout with this post and not putting it up until it’s over. I’m not complaining, someone back home in the States had a bad day. If those words even describe it. I didn’t know any of them. One of the guy’s from my Detachment knew one. He lived in the same Pod as him. Pod is a hip name for a trailer park. About the most common thing people say when something like that happens is, “that sucks”. I can’t speak but so much, it’s not affected me too greatly, but, there’s not allot of lamenting. It just sucks.

Someone e-mailed me mentioning bringing something back made in Iraq. I laugh at that. There is not a great deal of craftsmanship here. Sure, they make some necessary things. Otherwise, they don’t make anything here but violence. The two great skills are thievery and hospitality.

I had read where when the Brits had invaded Afghanistan during the 1840’s (to impose Regime change) an Officer offered to stop and let his Afghan companion to pray. The companion declined, stating that he had once stopped to pray while on the trail and someone stole his horse. He didn’t pray anymore.

One of my most colorful Iraqi counterparts had Ali Babba give him a fake $100 US while he was home on leave. Then while he was gone Ali Babba stole his boots. I pointed to his tinny shoes. “Ali Babba” he replied. That said it all. Poor fellar, when he goes home Ali Babba will have stolen the door off of his house. He is getting Married to Wife #2 soon. It’s funny, he gets on the phone with the Wife. Every other word is Inshalla. Then he calls the Girl Friend and every other word is Inshalla too. If God wills it Ali Babba will leave him alone.

Two of our Jundis taught Ali Babba a lesson a while back. He doesn’t always win.
But, I won’t talk about that here.

The Appalachianist

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is not funny. It suks, and I laughed and laughed at your story of Ali Babba. Thank you. Hang tough. I count the days until I can go to the mountains and Cherokee and the Smokies.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Anon...I don't count the day's, because I don't know when that day will be. All I know is my Orders say 12 Oct 07.

Who ever you are, you hng in there yourself.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'know...Ali Babba sounds like the Arabic version of Jony (did I spell that right?). They would both steal your women, right?

5:52 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It's Jody. I said he would take his door, not his wife or finacee. We better not give Ali Babba any ideas.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I saw on the news recently that the business that is booming the most in Iraq is casket making. I hope you don't bring one of those home.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

By the way, A.I., I am utterly shocked at the revelation that you have had premarital sex.

;-)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Heh, eff the souvenirs, just concentrate on bringing yourself home in one piece.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Always interesting over here. I love hearing of the Ali Babba.
Wow, you don't come home for another year?
Please be safe, always thinking about you!
~xo

9:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I put the analogy together because both eating and sex are natural. Now, liqour or the like are not. So, we tend to give inot natural things. It's something everyone can relate to, face it, if wasn't for sex none of us would be here. Now, go ahead, pick this apart and diesct it iot little peices to be thrown inot my cyber face...

Lae...What do you think I am? Easy?

AGT, I'll do it.

Lee Ann nothing is in concrete, that only states how long they can keep me here. I on't speculate, that way I don't get disspaointed. If I have to do 14 moths, then I do 14 months. Most likley it won't be that long.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

T&A - Lucky for you, I'm in a good mood today so I will refrain from any disecting and throwing.

*smooches*

9:17 AM  
Blogger sage said...

after the last couple of comments, I just want to say I ain't here to throw stones. Stay well Man! I enjoyed the Ali Babba stories.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, Sage

10:22 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Dang son, you are really quite eloquent. I like your writing style a lot. Spelling and/or typing is not really your long suit, but looking past that is very rewarding.

Look at these lines from your post critically. They not only convey rich detail, they are very plain spoken. That is not so easy to pull off.

I can’t speak but so much, it’s not affected me too greatly, but, there’s not allot of lamenting. It just sucks.

Otherwise, they don’t make anything here but violence. The two great skills are thievery and hospitality.

Undoubtedly, it’s an excuse for someone to fight.


Still pray for your safe return. I don't know how much mortal danger you are in each day, but mostly I feel like if you are in the same country as a war then you are way too close. Not up on my army-speak, but cover your butt sums it up for me.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I am highly humbled. Thank you. I don't go outside the wrie, at least not yet, but it's coming. I do get up against it. The bottom line is I'm not sure how much mortal danger I'm in either.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home