Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Home Sweet...Um Something...

One Blackhawk ride, four shuttle busses, two chartered busses, one ride hitched with a Security Contractor in an Armored F350, one blue Japanese Air Force C-130, one chartered 757, one commuter plane and a ride in the Reguvinatormobile with a whole lot of hurry up and wait and plain old hassle in between and I’m back in Buttholeville.

In Atlanta I was spoke to rudely along with my fellow service members because we were unsure of the procedure for reentering the Country that Politicians say we’re defending. Welcome Home, now empty you’re fucking pockets.

Forget that we had to completely empty our bags in front of Navy Customs in Kuwait.

I’ve got maybe four tooth brushes back in Taji, but, not a one here. After emptying my bags in Kuwait, I know I put my shaving kit back in my D-Bag. It wasn’t there last night.

Buttholeville, yes, I’ve had people “thank” me, which I don’t feel is necessary, but, I had a fancy convertible with Floridiot plates attempt to pull around me as I waited for someone to clear the turn I was going to make. I waived them around thinking they were going straight only to have them whip into the turn I was going to make as the other car cleared it. Welcome Home.

At the Phone Company I had to patiently wait while the nice young lady explained in Spanish to what was most likely an illegal alien about their phone not yet being hooked up. They were first and that’s fair enough. But, that’s modern irony in Eroding Appalachia. Welcome Home.

I sat in the Asheville Airport looking at an advertisement for Bear Lake. Bear Lake is a reservoir over in Jackson County that is surrounded by allot of wild land. It’s now being parceled up by a developer. Welcome Home.

Now relations with my family are strained. It’s 0420 Saturday morning. I’ve been up since 0300. My house is not the same place. I gave my Mother a key so she could look in on the place once and a while. Even though my trustworthy former Father In Law living right next to me has a key. My Brother who is my Power Of Attorney and the whole deal lives down near Birmingham Alabama. It’s not covenant for him. But, most of all I gave it to her to keep her from feeling left out. I told her to just look in on the place, change out the moisture bags, etc. I had pretty much boxed everything up. My Mother came up here and rearranged the house, brought in new furniture, took my stuff and put it all through the house. My reloading gear was left between two bed rooms, She took all of my uniforms and put them on the other side of the house. My Rucksack in one closet, my Cold Weather Bag which I left in a stuff sack was in my bed room closet taken apart. I can’t find the stuff sack. Nothing is in the same place in my kitchen. I open droors and find odd things. I felt something at the edge of my bed when I got up. It was a plastic container. I looked underneath, but, the one I had left was not there. There was a collector issue Playboy in it. Where’s my 13 Star American Flag? She came here, against my will and made the place the way she wanted it. What she didn’t understand she stuck off in some odd place. Heck, it almost looks like I have a wife again, the only thing I would ask of her is to leave my stuff intact. I love her and now I have to forgive her.

Bosco just looked at me and walked away in her dubious manner.

My Stepsons Girl Friend had miscarried this summer, now she’s two months pregnant.

One of the Waitress’s down at the diner paid my bill against my will. I argued with her. She argued back. She said since I wouldn’t let them send me stuff she was going to do it anyway. It’s funny, at one time I mistaked her for being single only to find out she’s married. She’s always treated me the same though.

When I left here back in April it was cloudy. The Mountains disappeared into the clouds. This time the Mountains appeared out of them. They were pretty from the air. They were prettier down in them. The seasons were changing again. It’s almost like a circle. I flew off to the north, flew in from the south.

Despite it all, it’s kind of nice to be here. I don’t like to talk about such things as family affairs. But, some of you come here because you want to know what the War is like. The truth is I can’t describe it to you. But, maybe this small part gives you an idea.

Today your love tomorrow the world…

The Appalachianist

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is always a war. We just didn't notice it that way.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm not entirely sure of what your talking about. But, that's fine.

8:56 AM  
Blogger sage said...

The waitress was trying to be nice, let her, it'll make her feel better. As for your mother, you'll have to read Roy Blount Jr's book about his Southern mother, who he said "loved him to pieces and he's now spent a lifetime trying to put the pieces back together." Glad your home for a bit, fall is a great time in the Southern hills.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are home for a while. Must be a difficult adjustment to make.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I know she was, Sage. She's a big cut up.

Jewaira, cool pic, It's not so bad.

Murf...Thank you!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn Mr. Grumpy, Life goes on. Glad you are enjoying your stay, sounds like fun.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gonna get any hunting done while you're home? Seems you was bear hunting about this time last year if I recall correctly.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Jimmy, it aint all bad. As folks will find in my next post. Thanks.

AGT, yes, gotone day in yesterday.

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do know a single lady in your next of the woods that could make your stay a little bit better! Smiles.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

In Atlanta I was spoke to rudely along with my fellow service members because we were unsure of the procedure for reentering the Country that Politicians say we’re defending. Welcome Home, now empty you’re fucking pockets.

I love her and now I have to forgive her.

You are brilliantly funny. I remember forgetting all the, shall we say "rough edges" of our culture and society while I was living overseas. As you have learned, it don't take long at all to remember them. Especially in a strip mall parking lot where basic human kindness is pretty much a roadkill.

Enjoy your visit.
R'Ed

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad that you are home for a bit anyways...
Be nice to those gals there. ( ;

Enjoy.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Annalis said...

I'm glad you're home. Sounds like you're going back? Enjoy...

7:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Exactly, Ed. Thanks. hope everything is cool.

Janey, I've been wondering about you.

Anonn, I know a couple of Women that would.

Annalis, Thanks. I hope your doing good too.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Haven't been feeling too good lately, but have been thinking about you sweetie!
Have a wonderful weekend!
~xo

12:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It's sweet of you to think about me, hope you feel better.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially in a strip mall parking lot where basic human kindness is pretty much a roadkill.

Good enough for Americans...

... and don't forget the chest-beating about free-free-freedom...

8:36 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Foreign Visitor, despite how agrevating it was, many a folk were kind to me, I only addressed some of those parts because they need to be.

No one beat their chest to me about freedom. I don't mean to be unkind to you, I do respect your veiw of us, but, I should remind you, we have stood up for our freedom more than any other country in exsistance today. I see that slipping away more than you could imagine, so, don't go giving me a BS answer about or foreign policy. I see both sides of the coin. So, in all fairness, the next time you come here and comment be open about your origins and opinion. Don't worry about people shooting you down here, I'm the NCOIC of this blog and I will handle them.
Fair enough?

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home