Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, October 13, 2006

The mud has arrived

“Stay calm. The FLN will avenge you. Stay Calm “.
From the Battle of Algiers

The word “Tribal” to young Americans means gothic tattoos, meaningless designs in the pursuit of vanity. Tribal betrays their vain attempt at individualism. It’s an association with disassociation.

I can understand tribalism. It’s a fascinating part of my ancestry to me. Individualism in the tribe is warrior hood, where, honor was everything. Tattoos were earned with War Names in that culture. Actions were to be in the interest of the tribe. Even individual acts of “Heroism” were to give honor to the tribe…”Don’t mess with us, we’re fierce”.


I’ve enquired to my Iraqi friends about tribes. Some, respond eagerly, they are happy that you show interest in their culture. Some enquiries are met with a little coldness. One of my interpreters flat out told me he didn’t associate with his tribe. “I hate tribal.” Sheiks here are the ones in control, at least in some ways. The violence will take all of their effort to quell. One Jihad against the other.

Americans see the world as states. But, it’s not all states. It’s becoming allot of statelessness. This article triggered me on this subject. I've lost the mood to articulate on this subject as I peiced this post together over a few days, but, I can agree with much of it.

It has sprinkled some more. last night there has been lightning with a little thunder. More lightning than anything. A strong gust of wind came and tore down an old tent I had put up with some others as a canopy. We were going to take it down anyway. Everything is a muddy mess this morning.

Tonight I had a chance to see some of the guys from my unit back home that were called up later. I’m in CMATT, Coalition Military Assistance Transition Team. These boys are going to MTT Teams, they will be directly advising Iraqi Military Combat Units. I’m technically on a MTT, but, we’re not considered one by the higher. They are at the Phoenix Academy, what I consider to be somewhat of a dog and pony show. So does the rest of Taji and CMATT. My next time in Iraq, I’ll probably be on a MTT. It's funny, they fall under 1st Infantry Division and I fall under Multi National Security Transition Command- Iraq(MNSTC-I, prounounced Mensticky)...here comes the heckling from the ladies...

I told them that they have not had enough language and culture training. I told them what shway shway means and their getting ready to learn.

The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

Mensticky? See, I warned you about the keyboard thing. ;-)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I knew someone would feel sorry and comment here...

12:17 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

It was a slow morning, this morning. :-)

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are the guys from home on the MTT groups if you are able to say. At anyrate, I went from Clayton, Georgia toward Cherokee, North Carolina this week before I visited Tulullah Gorge. There was a historic marker that mentioned a Cherokee defeat in 1761 during the French and Indian War by whites, Chickasaws and Catawbas. We were and are tribal not so long ago too. Write about it when you can. My grandson is on the Chochtaw roll. Take care of yourself as if you must be told.

6:01 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Last week on NPR (Diane Reem's show), Charles Frazier was a guest--he's the author of Cold Mountain. He's just written a new book set in the NC mts and about the cultural interaction between the Cherokees and the anglo settlers--title is 13 Moons, it sounds like it might be an interesting read.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, I won't say who is on the MTT. If you are who I suspect you are, you wouldn't know them. Yes, I've mentioned the Marker your speaking of in other posts, rather talking of the Battle. It deserves more study than it gets. Yeah, I'll watch my ass.

Sage, looking all Mountain Man in the profile Pic. A couple of years ago I could name all 13 moons. I can name almost hlf now. I do know the seven directions and the things associated with about half of them. Nothing good comes from the north, right, Tsalagis? Thanks Sage, I just may look that book up.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Does mensticky happen when it rains like that over there? ::wink::
We are getting the rain here, it is getting cooler, I like it. Don't care for driving in the rain, it makes me nervous.
I hope things are going well for you.
~xo

5:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, I am well. I'm on my way home starting today. It's somehing to look forward to. I'm glad you decided to come and see all on your own.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Elvis Drinkmo said...

I had a friend who passed on seven years ago who used to talk alot about tribes. He called us (his friends) his tribe. Sometimes I think that was a way for him to deal with the fact that we were all so different and that we used to fight and argue, but we were always there for each other when it really mattered. Before he died, he opened a tattoo shop with the word "tribe" in it even though I begged him to go with his original idea which was "Plan 9".

Just wanted to share that. He was a marine and served in Iraq the first time around. Even though I only know through our blogs- you kind of remind me of him.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Elvis, I like "Plan9" myself.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home