Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

It Ain't All Bad

“Stroll you bones and sow your oats…yeah, love your friends and tell them jokes”

No it aint. Other than the initial hellos when I got in, the first order of business was to buy a new to me truck. My old one had had it. So, Saturday at noon time I was the proud owner of a new to me truck…A 92 Toyota pick up with a V6, 5spd, 4WD. It’s a solid truck mechanically. There’s some body damage, but no biggie. The first thing I found myself doing was driving it to Franklin. I had gotten an E-mail from Twister saying that his Grandmother had died. The Woman was a Saint and, to say the least he was passionately loyal to her. The sweet lady’s health had suffered over the last year and the good Lord has relieved her of it.

Sunday I dropped in on the Jolly Red Head Giant. I believe he is tempted to go bear Hunting with me, Twister and his crew over yonner while I’m in.

Of course I’m filled with questions about Iraq. I give more blunt and detailed answers to the Jolly Red Head Giant and Twister. I believe that people need a good understanding of what’s taking place. But once in a while it’s a little tiring.

The house has grown on me. I’ve gotten over that.

I’ve only gone Hunting twice. Last year I handed twister a live squirrel. This year I poured coffee down his sleeve. He was driving, wanted me to pour him some coffee and hit a bump.

We’ve had two races go on. A race is when the dogs are in pursuit of something. Some heathens just can’t figure that out. The first one we let two dogs loose on a scent, could never find a trail couldn’t hear the dogs for a while…then, one howl. We couldn’t get a reading on the tracking collars so we took the rest of the dogs back to the trucks. Twister and another fellar went down the mountain and me and another went down to pick them up. Some Loggers and Forest Rangers said they heard them tree, but at the end of the day we picked them up down on another side of the Mountain.

Wednesday we had another going on. Me and Twister stayed in one spot for three hours, thought we had a race, turned up to be a rambling straggling hound. Then they were on something later. Run up the Mountain…they’re coming!...No…None of us can hear anything. Without a radio the two of us left and we were out of it.

The next couple of days have been tend to business days when I accomplished little.

Me and Twister fell into a conversation much like many we’ve had about Strategy and Theory. It came around in circle to exploiting success. You don’t throw all of your effort into what’s not producing, You put it into what is working well, all else follows. This goes for everything.

Exploit Success…

The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missed your posts written like this! Hard to explain but it seems more like you.
Now because I can....I'm sending a big hug to you. You can share it with Bosco... ( ;

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, sucess. Just what is it? That's sometimes the sticky bit, getting everyone to agree on just what benchmark we use to define success. And there's different levels, e.g., tactical, strategic, so forth.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the NCA has clearly defined to us feather merchants just what is the strategic objective of all this. Keep the islamofascists from flying commercial aircraft into our skyscrapers? We seemed to have achieved that objective or at least made air travel such an inconvenience and hassle that they won't bother using that tactic anymore.

There are no draftees, plus I don't think history offers any "perfect" wars. (Even in the Six Day War the Israelis made mistakes and took casualties) But still, our military deserves competent leadership, a clearly defined strategic objective, and the resources necessary to achieve it. If they're not getting those things, then the people (Congress) need to know and steps taken to correct it!

Off my soapbox for now.


Good to see you got some days in the woods, A.I. No hugs from me, but if I saw you I'd give you a firm handshake, look you in the eye and say, "Thank you, soldier." and Bosco a pat on the head (if she'd let me).

3:57 PM  
Blogger sage said...

nice post, glad your getting a chance to ramble around in the NC mts when they are at their finest--in the fall.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spent part of a year teaching 7th graders down in the piney woods of Pelion, South Carolina reading Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Your post reminded me of that story. Thanks, Sarge William A. Sipes

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's refreshing to read about these people again.

Yes, you must read Where The Red Fern Grows, Old Dan. I wonder if it would make even you feel like crying. ;-)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hello Janie, Gunner, Sage, SFC Sipes(Retired!)Murf disguised as "little ann" and Ramblin Ed. Thanks for youl's loyalty. And you saints, sinners, lovers, ravers, heathens, and people of other qaulities. You'l just don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself.

Just one note, ed. Charlie Daniels is originally from Highlands NC which is in Macon County of which the County Seat is Franklinstine. Sorry Twister, Franklinstines Monster...But we have done some Bear Hunting up that way.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Thanks for stopping over...I have missed you!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN...
LOVE YA,
LEE ANN

9:29 PM  
Blogger Brown eyed girl said...

It is Thursday....come over here ^
and tell me what your favorite season is cutie!
(one for your wall) ;)

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home