Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, December 15, 2006

There is a war going on...

But, life stands still for Soccer. Today the Iraqis played Qatar at the Asia Games. The Iraqis were excited. This game decides who gets the gold...I'm sure the game is over as I write this. But, I hope they won.

I was talking to some more Security Contractors today, EODT. One of their convoys was rolling across the desert and passed a lone Iraqi Police vehicle. It had the lights going the whole deal. After it was past them it was hit by an IED. A whole convoy had rolled by it, but it took out the IP's.

Whats in a name...
We're surrounded by different IP Station boundaries. There is Taji itself, immediately below us, then, Mushada above us. Now, that's an active place. I often here explosions that way. We Americans all way's pause and listen for more explosions or gun fire...We're trying to put together what we hear and we exchange notes. The Iraqis don't phase any. rarely do they acknowledge it. Sometimes one will say Mu Zein...No Good, but mostly after they see us Americans reaction.

Beyond Mushada is Tarmiya, as one of my interpreters put it..."They don't like anybody". One of my counterparts often say's "Tarmiya mu zein". Yet, 300 men from Tarmiya joined the Army, under a Sheiks agreement that they all stay together as one unit. COHART is a good thing.
It's a joke that when the Jundis yell for someone to stop at night they wake up Tarmiya.

East, beyond the Tigris is Sheik Saad. I laugh, because I know of several animated characters named Saad, one more animated than the other...And, I've noticed I've not seen one in some time...I always see one of them all decked out like Joe Cool with the Shemagh and band around their head cutting deals for the tribe. I've not met a Saad, that i didn't like.

Below Sheik Saad is Boob Al Sham...go ahead, have fun with that one. Then, west of Boob Al Sham is Sab Al Bor. Which is anything but boring.

Then you of course have Baghdad.

Speaking of wars...Some may remember an incident where I handed Twister a live squirell. He e-mailed me this...I asked if it reminded him of something.

All Right, time for you'll to make your comments.
The Appalachianist

21 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

Dang squirrel gangs.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I'll be back to 400 soon. Thats a little under an hour for me.
Sorry about the Beta thing. I figured I'd go to it because sooner or later,I'd have to...and it's supposed to be so much better. I'm undecided.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That was quick Murf...

12:05 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Squirrel gangs?? I only got as far as Boob... heh heh heh, he said boob.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hells Squirrels Ed...

Yes, Ed, I said Boob, Al and Sham in one sentence.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to refer as everything beyond the wire as "Injun Country"

11:13 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

AGT, I wouldn't give these guys enough to call them Indians.(Personally it's an honor to be just a fraction of one)Here, it's Red Zone.

6:03 AM  
Blogger sage said...

thanks for the geography lesson of where you're at... keep safe!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with the "shithook" pic, Mr. "He-who-uses-squirrels-as-dangerous-weapons"...or "Squirrel Man"...superhero or supervillain, it depends on which end of the squirrel you're on. I will now consult a friend on how to convert your newfound hunting name (the non-abbreviated version) into the Cherokee language, spoken and written. You will like that...maybe.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Twister, just a pic.

I poured coffee down your sleeve this year. And, I was nice enough to walk up that hill and get your squirrel.

You could be "twists squirrel of of his finger". How about "he throws squirrels"?

If I remember right, the Cherokee word for squirrel is not a simple word. This could be fun.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, they don't put allot of names to places in the news of here. Most reporters don't venture out too much.
It's history being made.
I'm surprised less people have ran with Boob Al Sham.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cherokee word for squirrel is salola,,,sounds pretty when you say it..don't sound like something that would eat your hand off.(smile)although i have one that likes to sit on the electric line in the morn and watch me.i have no idea what you would call that one..a twisted squirrel perhaps?

8:45 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

If I were to form a band, I would name it 'Suicidal Squirrels' since they do seem to have a death wish by all of a sudden dashing into traffic.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

TCK Put the juice on the wire and you call it Twister...LOL
It's good to have friends like you'll

9:09 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

How about dare Devil Squirrels?
Some times when you are hunting them they hide on back sides of trees.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i guess a squirrel in the hand is better than two in the bush...and always better than walking up to one you think is dead and having it run up your pants leg....got it,,he who shakes with hairy palms...

1:32 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

TCK...Oh...Uhm....dang.

The deal is I picked up his squirrel that had a hard time dieing...he killed a bear with that gun, but squirrels die hard...It laid there like it was dead. i usually kick em, or poke em...I picked it up by the tail carried it oh...20 yards, ahnded it to him and turned my head away. He flung it across the road, and showed me where it bit through his glove.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a bear gun..on a squirrel..you guys kill me.(hehehe)..you are right that was the squirrel from hell. all that could be left was a tale and and some teeth..my dad was the one who let one run up his pants leg. didn't know the old man could dance till that.quite the stripper also...i know mom got a big kick out of it..made sure that was the one she fried up for him to eat...she's got a quirky little since of humor.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, that is some squirrel!
Hope you are doing well cutie!
~xo

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness! Three squirrels are interesting. Twelve squirrels are an invading army. Have no fear, my dogs have taught the squirrels to, dare I say it, lick themselves. That's what I get for feeding them. They all come over to my yard and practice licking themselves before they eat all the birdseed, bulbs, flowers, and pecans. If only I had a gun, as the wizard use to say to the motley crew following Dorothy. No, I do have about twelve of them in the yard. It is time for the huge owl to return to the neighborhood. It's a plan. Take care Sarge.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

TCK, I could see that...I know that was funny.

Lee Ann, you make my head swell with all of this cutie talk. I'm fine, I hope you are too.

Willaim A.The armed Forces should recruit them.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home