Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

A Love Punch From God

I got a love punch today. I was about to step inside the room of the Iraqi Commander (More on that later) when all of a sudden it felt as if someone had hit me as hard as they could in my left arm where my bicep begins. I sat there feeling like telling him he's dead wrong with my arm just hanging. I eat allot of fruits here, but I need to load upon bananas. It felt like a love punch from God.

We are getting better fruit in the chow hall lately. This summer it sucked. The Iraqis had better fruit. I told the DFAC manager and he insisted I take an orange. They've fed me baked chicken at 0300. They all sat there watching me like Italian Grand Mothers.

The weather has been messy here. It would be a little nothing at home, but the slightest rain here turns everything into mud. There is an old Army Cadence that says "the land that God forgot/ the mud i 18 inches deep/ the sun is blazing hot". It's referring to Ft. Bennning, my old home away from home (right Twister?) I really believe it's Taji Iraq. I don't know no other way to say it, this place sucks.

I saw a beautiful Belly Dancer today. We find ourselves talking with the Iraqi leadership in their bed room more than anywhere. They always have the TV on( more on TV's later) I speak and have to fight watching the TV while the interpreter relays the message. There was a movie going with a lady belly dancing...How beautiful...How gracious. Then all of a sudden the comedian actor plunged into the scene and ruined it. Time for "Sadi" to talk...I enjoy Arab television. Darn near the entire Iraqi Army went home for Eid (today is the IA's birthday)and a Jundi grabbed me to show me videos on line. It wouldn't hardly feed. He's a good Jundi. He acts kind of like lurch, but manages to smile.

The other night I didn't sleep a whole lot. 1/82nd Field Artillery was doing allot of fire missions. Artillery hisses, mortars whistle and rockets sound like whining car belts. They were doing illumination rounds. Fortunately a bad guy got nabbed.

Well, I'm done with posting...
The Appalachianist...

20 Comments:

Blogger Harold/AQ said...

What's up with the arm? Did you get anybody to check you out?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No AQ. i didn't I aint been stretching as much as I should when working out. it's my own fault.
Goo to see you.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

humm,so i was mistaken,,your more like a poetic brute now..can't wait to see this! a love punch from God,,in the arm? well, i could think of a more prefered places..but who is going to argue with the big guy.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Working out. Right. Sure you were. ;-)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Love punch....I can think of a few things better than a punch, love!
;)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You'll can tell AQ was a Navy Corpsman. I got checked out by some once, but, I ain't getting into that.The medics are the mothers of the platoon. some of my best buddies have been Medics.

OK, Kitten, I'm a brute? No, I didn't put myself into the post. Maybe I was day dreaming of a belly dancer...But, actually I didn't feel like expressing myself. So, where would giving love punch be placed? Don't tell me in the belly...Poetry wrapped in brutality...The Saddam of Love...

No, Murf, I was not working out,I was walking into the Generals Office. Read. You heard love punch and went from there, Didn't you?

Ooh, Lee Ann...Love pinches, Love Slaps, Love Thumps, Love Kicks, Love stomps, Love smacks, Love run over you with a car...I've got to stop this s feeling so Red Neck...The Saddam of Love thing is starting to look scary.

I was going to post at your place the other day Lee Ann, but, bbeta doesn't jive.

Time to go, I love yun's

11:41 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I did read, Grouch, but according to your first comment, you attributed it to not stretching before working out. You read.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

And don't forget...Love Bites...Love Bleeds...Love brings you to your knees...

My mission has been accomplished..A.I. now has Def Leppard in his head.

*insert evil laughter here*

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the belly? well, mom did always say the fastest way to a mans heart is through his stomach,,i know a few short cuts,,but yes, a nice mess of tenerloin, with fried potatoes, fresh vegies, and the smell of cornbread will get 'em to running as well..(wink)your not going to get me to scratch on your post ai...

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm old enough to watch belly dancing. Well . . . I'm at a lost for words. We had a guy we called "Nub" Gardner. He wore his arm off (hence the name "Nub") as he said, "pickin' a banjo," but that was before television. He might have wore off both arms watching Arab television changin' channels and all. I'm goin'back and re-read my postin' on black cats. Good luck this morning and every morning. Thanks Sarge. I need to ask you about a possible bobcat I met camping in the forest atop Mount Pisgah near the Pisgah Inn. Another time. Take care.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, alright Murf. yes, that love bleeds stuff...brings back memories of Ft. Benning. All of that love martyrdom stuff. Pain in it is inevitable, but, it's not meant to be painful, guess thy had albums to sale. That's one thing I would change about the 80's. Love Martyrdom music.

Oh, the gentle kitten...I don't want you scratching my post, I want you balled up in my lap purring. So? That's what's for supper? Sounds good. can't wait until I get back home...

Bill, it can't be the Bobcat I shot. He's in my den at home collecting dust. He snook up behind me. One the same size just about ran me over in a out building once. 35lbs cat at least.

I've loved belly dancers since I was five or so...Nothing personal, Bill, but you ought to go one time.
I had a Lebanese Ranger Buddy and his family would travel for to festivals. I sometimes try to track him down...Has anyone seen Billy Kazen?

8:36 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

You've loved belly dancers since you were 5?!? My, you were an advanced little boy. ;)

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, definitely try to do some stretching A.I. as those joints don't get any more flexible as the years go by. We (Mrs A.G.T. & myself) try to do some basic yoga asanas before we do our workout. It does help. It's like anything though - finding the time to do it!

Y'all ready for the "surge" that Dubya is gonna announce tomorrow night? :-)

You working on a shortimer calendar yet?

6:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I'm sure it goes back furhter than that. Maybe I was four? It was the Sin Bad the sailor movie. I can remember glimpses of her well. Heck, I thought my first love was the 3/75...I probably wasn't a flirtatious baby, I probably just basked in womens beauty as the hovered over my crib...I was a stand offish youngin'though.

Gunner,You ain't kidding about time. That was a problem when I got here. That and it was crowded, 1/17th being extended took big advantage of the gym. 16 months for those boy's. Some had made it back to Alaska already and was turned back. It sucked to be them. Good people in that unit. 5/20th is housed with us now, good people there. There always is in the Infantry.

Yeah, back during rotation time a couple of months ago I had to wait 1 1/2 hours to get my hair cut. People were leaving the next day and the next day and the next day and getting a fresh hair cut for the occasion.

I counted the day's until my one year mark. I've got bout 149 left. 9th of June.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Stand offish as a young un, eh? Don't you think that still applies today?

6:48 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, I can be. I have to admitt that. I don't care to be prodded at.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ai, the way i see it, your just a very healthy male..who's not afraid to express the fact that he is male..(of course chest pounding and tarzan yells are not needed)but it would be cute to watch..; p

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I aint' seen Kazen since. Have you ever found any sites with downloadable cadences on them. There are a few that I need to hear again. Sometimes when I am working odd jobs outside I find myself singing the awful and funny ones (serenading my fellow workers). There are some that I forgot some of the words to. It snowed today the first desent one yet. Feels like Winter finally. Scott crock potted his hog last night and it sure was good.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Hello Appalachian,

Just stopping by to say Hi! Take care.

Annalis

10:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ms. Kitten, I'm not afraid to hide it, I don't flaunt it, but, I'm honest about it. I've never quite gotten the tarzan yell right. I'll have to work on that...OOH. I'd be flaunting it though.

Twister, I haven't talked to the boy in 12 years or so. I guess he's done figured I'm here.
remember this one?
"left my girl way out west
thought this Army life was the best
Now she's someone else's wife
and I'll be in the Army the rest of my life"
Well, 20 years now, I've been single all but 6 and I'm on indefinite reenlistment.

I liked it when I later learned allot of those cadences were Bo Didley tunes.

"one two three four hey! any body anybody start a war hey!"

Annalis, so sweet to see you. I don't read folks like I did. Sorry I don't come around. How are you?

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home