Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, January 01, 2007

A Taji Kind Of Night

It’s 2007. Is that a good thing? We’ll find out.

A small world of humans
We started it off right here at Taji. It’s the Muslim Holiday of Eid. Iraqi wise everything came to a screeching halt. I’ve spent some of my slowest days in Iraq over the last couple of days. I was going to hop on a flight down south for the night, but the mission got bumped up a night and I missed out. I instead went to a cookout catered by Iraqis. I talked with a Major that had been in the Florida Guard and he knew a guy I was in 3rd Ranger Bn. with…It can be such a small world. The food was great, and I didn’t over eat. They played allot of country music though, no wonder that Lt. got a Dear John. Earlier I had stood in on a fire talking with some others and a civilian contractor. A lady contractor who most people don’t like, but, I like listening to her talk. Even, if she has a slightly bitter disposition. She may not be an angel, but she’s human. We poked fun at being in Iraq and how things work. After the cookout I went back to the fire before heading off to bed.

Right about midnight
Laying in bed I conjured up a ghost…The first in a series of stories I began writing years ago. It’s a Mountain superstition and may be every where else, it can’t just be antonymous to Appalachia, that what your doing at midnight is what you will be doing the rest of your year. So, you might as well do something worth while…hey, you’re in Iraq and you better make the best of it. I was reading over the story and jogging my memory of what my characters were like and my eyes began to burn. That’s not worth while so, I called it a night. I spoke my words to God, and began to nod off. My Iraqna phone started ringing. It wasn’t the guy on watch, it was an unknown number. Who in the heck was trying to get a hold of me? I thought it was “Girl of Lately” which is now “Girl of a Long While Back” who happens to be in Baghdad now. No, I have her number…I don’t know who it is…I call them back; all I hear is my voice echo. They call back. It cuts them off. This went back and forth for almost fifteen minutes. Five minutes to midnight, I might as well do something worth while. I talk to God again. I felt real peaceful, so I open my eyes. Midnight. Three minutes later I hear a whine almost like the belt of a car. One second later I hear the detonation. My metal door vibrated. Happy New Years, they haven’t forgotten us after all. Fire works courtesy of the Insurgency. I stayed in my room, it’s a hard building and it will have to be a good direct hit to get us. I figured there would be another one at any second. I listened for the Counter Battery Fire to go out. A good Fire Direction Center (FDC) and Gun Crew can throw a round out in less than 180 seconds. Nothing…No “Shot Out”. No more incoming.

There was a New Years celebration going on and Fox News was broadcasting. I wasn’t going, too big a crowd. I don’t want to be part of the masses for one year. Jelloiuse must think it odd of me because I was at the bar she worked at for New Years a few years ago and I walked out by myself at Midnight…I stand out from the crowd. But back to lovely Taji, Iraq. I don’t go to any event unless there are Cheer Leaders. Another reason is what happened last night. I’m told the whole thing is all over the news. Truth is we’ve taken incoming allot of different times and it didn’t make the news. We’re not in eye sight of the Green Zone.

It was a 107mm Rocket. I got to handle a chunk of it this morning at the Battle Update Brief (BUB) for BDOC. It was painted olive drab, my favorite color…

Things that make Soldiers go hmmm
While at the BUB a 1st Sgt. was promoted to SGM and had been selected for CSM. The BDOC Commander (I like him for a LTC, but don’t go telling him) made a point that less than 1% of Enlisted Ranks are selected for such position. This makes me think of two things. The higher you go in the Ranks the more political it gets. I’ve got people asking me why I’m not an E-8. It’s not that I don’t want to, but, I don’t do political. Also too many people put their packet in because they want to. Not because they feel they can do the job. The LTC also pointed out that the less than 1% rule doesn’t even go for Four Star Generals. It’s long been complained that the Officer Corps is bloated. I feel this is true, but I fear my knowledge is a tip of the ice berg. Enlisted people spend more time in leadership positions than the Commissioned do. Is this effective? Generals have more power than the President principle wise. They have a small platoon of aids and staff members follow them around acting silly. Greater than 1%? Is this good? Is this effective?

My New Years message to you
Some of you know this, I ain’t telling you your business, some of you don’t… Because you’re human. Stand up for your beliefs. Don’t impose yours on others. Do what’s right, even if it’s not convenient to. Don’t let nobody take advantage of you or push you around. Love somebody. Even if it’s just your Dog.

I’ve never been too good at making my own luck.* I’ve had to wipe the blood off my hand because I stuck it in the machine. I’ve still got a hand though. I’ll make my own reality.

*LOL, I had a black cat cross my path in Iraq. What irony.

The Appalachianist

29 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

I was finishing brushing my teeth as the New Year came in...did get some good kissing and hugs in though!!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, I do believe it is some wise advice:
Stand up for your beliefs. Don’t impose yours on others. Do what’s right, even if it’s not convenient to. Don’t let nobody take advantage of you or push you around. Love somebody. Even if it’s just your Dog.

Think I'll keep my hands out of machines. I go weak kneed at the sight of blood, worsen if it's MY blood.

I wasn't a particularly political E-8. Might be why it took so long to make it and I was invited to go home rather that pin on E-9. Regrets? Nope. it led to an enjoyable 6 months as A Wackenhut dude.

Stay safe. 2007 has been pretty good so far.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't have a dog now, but the kitten says thanks for the love..any new year resolutions ai?

6:40 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Happy new Years Janie. Yep, you might as well kiss with a fresh mouth. You'll be cleaning your mouth out the rest of the year...

Ed. I know you enough that you wouldn't be political. But, bare in mind, I am in the Army Reserves.
Wackenhut is such a funky name...

Ms. Kitten,Yes, I do have resolutions. Most will have to wait until I get back home though. Please give the kitty a big bear hug for me. She is so sweet.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh, update, who ever was calling me has kept calling me. I called them back and I could hear Local Nationals , two males maybe and one female in the background. Some LN contractors have my number, guess they got me confused with someone.

7:49 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Lot's of good wisdom in this post, talking to the sour woman 'cause she's human, doing what is right, standing up for you beliefs but not imposing 'em. Sorry to hear that you had New Year fireworks! Take care.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank You, Sage. It aint so bad, if the folks back home forget about you, the enemy won't. LOL. Agh, the folks back home are great. Some times too great. I have about five sets of cards, two year supply of foot powder...God Bless em'.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

How's your stock of Wet Ones, A.I?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I got heaps of em, Murf. Happy New Years

2:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You betcha Murf.
I ain't been by your place in a while...Ain't been by nobody's much.I'm sure your still honary.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Honary? Is that a mix of horny and honorary? If it is...you hit the nail on the head. Ain't nuthin' changed. ;)

8:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, I think it was a combination of my bad spelling confusing spell checker.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

It was a joke. Lighten up. Laugh a little. It'll make you feel pretty.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

My last comment has a 'Ramblin' Ed' feel to it. Freaky.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another superstition you can add to your list, is leaving the Christmas tree up till new years..they say if you take it out before that you carry all the luck for the new year out..yeah righ,,now i'm out of the mood to deal with that stuff and am considering sitting the tree outside and undecorating it with my .22. that can't be anymore hillbilly than leaving the decorations up till july..(lol)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, you lighten up Murf...Just because I mess a spelling up...And Spell Checker say's to hell with me...Ooh...That was rather Ramblin Edish...I don't feel pretty:(

Joke...

Kitten of Tom Cat, That's true, but when have you known me to have a Christmas Tree? I have seen Christmas Lights go up in Sept up at Quebec Gap. In my family man days i'd burn them in the back yard. I figured the ground could use the ash, and there's enough dead stuff laying around in the woods. My Mothers Christmas Tree blinks in a fashion that would put a young child in a coma...

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i was just doing the math. a pack of targets..over $20.00...a box of Christmas balls, $3.99...pretty logical to me..the only thing cheaper..hunting mistle toe with a shot gun..

10:16 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I am not sure that I ever meant for "Ramblin' Ed" to be a feel.

Not sure that I like being a feel. Although, on the other hand, I have enjoyed being felt up, which is nearly the same thing.

Must go ponder this. I'll get back to you. Or back at you, whichever the case may be.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

If it's any consolation, R'Ed, it was rather unsettling. ;-)

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave the tree up for the woodpeckers. Take down the Christmas balls and shoot the black cats. It works. I have never read such poetry. Sarge you have the greatest bunch of camp followers ever. I sure am getting an education. God bless you all in the New Year. Bill

2:17 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I gotta admit, I'd have probably ret'd as an E-7 if I hadn't had the good fortune of doing my next-to-last assignment in the Command Section of a 4-Star.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I thought I replied to all of this.

Kitten, where do yo by your targets?

Ed, Murf meant no offense. Kind of "Fury Eel".

Let us know what you find Murf.

Bill, I was told it's good luck to have a black cat by a boy from down east. I've only shot nuisance cats that were stray. Major happy New Years to you, Bill.

Most people brag about working for a 4 Star, Gunner, You have "rode hard, shot straight and spoke the truth".

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pro bass or cabellas, sometimes i print up my own on the puter, but they don't last very long...besides, i like the sound of breaking glass..releases some pent up energy.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just for you bill: "Send war in our time, O Lord! know that when all words are said and man is fighting mad, Something drops from eyes long blind, He compleats his partial mind, For an instant stands at ease, Laughs aloud, his heart at peace. Even the wisest man grows tense with some sort of violence Before he can accomplish fate, Know his work or chose his mate.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so,,ai you know a better deal on targets???...bill that quote was from..yeats i think,,it was the only one i knew with a referance to war..ai, what is a fury eel?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, go to Marcums. Go to Wal March even. Heck, it's printed paper. On line in case you don't feel like going do Midway or Natchez. Does your Daddy pay that much for targets?

THATS IT! Affordable targets for everyone! Our rallying cry!

Bill, that qoute the lady gives sounds like the daily hustle and bustle of Columbia. Columbia SC..."Screen Door to Hell".

Kitten, the "fury eil" is something one Ed's Navy Buddies would say. I oughta start saying "Wackenhut Dude"...Me and hims going to get together one day and make fun of everything...

OK, this is 27 comments, a record I believe.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

As for Murf's comment. Made me smile. I'm not an offense taking guy.

Furry eel was how he sounded when he would drawl out the expression / interogative "For real?" I'd say something like, I have a hard time being taken seriously," and he'd say, "Furry eel? I take you sears (serious)."

Post something new. It's taking too long to scroll down this long ass comments section. I'm sears.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

It's just not been a posting week. I'm about ready to. Don't post for the sake of posting.
#29

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, that's cool, i just didn't know if i should ask what size hooks you would catch one of those on or what..(smile)..sorry i made it longer for ya..

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home