Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Lazy Terp's and Things That Spin

The “Ladies Man’s” hand is swollen up like a boxing glove. Something has bitten him. There is no such thing as a passive insect in Iraq.

The Iraqi’s use Uaz jeeps. I like the things in general. I told Twister while I was home they would be great for Bear Hunting. He shot me down though by asking what kind of heater they had. At that time it was in the upper 90’s here. Well, the other morning it was cold and raining and I was riding with one of my counterparts (that could be a funny story of it’s own…every day could have a story) he went into his caravan and I sat in the jeep. I stuck my hand down near the heater and they had taken the cover off. I stuck my finger into the fan. I yanked it back awfully quick. The heater works pretty decently. It would be easy to replace. It sits right under the dash.

Yep, that’s me, stuck my hand in the machine. Every time I have it’s cause I didn’t know what I was doing. It was dark and the fan was turning fast, I couldn’t see it.

I don’t think we’ll ever have one any how. My New To Me Toyota will do just fine.

At the time it was colder here than back home. It frosts here some. As soon as the sun goes down, so do the temperatures. There’s no reason t lament how muddy it is here.

I had a new interpreter today. I aint ever worked with him. He’s new to us. Darn that boy is lazy. I had to prod him all day. “OK, let’s go”. “Come On”. “Let’s get going”. Some are not so lazy, they will volunteer. I had one digging for a hidden cell phone one time. Some will tell you that someone is blowing smoke at you. “Trust me, I’m Iraqi, He’s lying. He doesn’t intend to do it”. I was inventorying their weapons today. The boy just stood there like he’d rather sit down.

“Come on, contribute to the common good here”…They are worried about themselves. “Me first…me first…” We have to remind them they will get theirs, just deal with the situation at hand. They have this look on their face like a twelve year old that had their video taken away.

Well, we still manage to laugh and cut up.

Like the winner of a John Doe Look alike contest…
The Appalachianist

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

So you're the "Ladies Man"?!? I need a second opinion.

If every day is a story, at least you are guaranteed something to write about on here for quite awhile. You may not want to start with "I almost shot a dog today" though.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Just, "Yep." Sounds about right. Just hope your hand gets better. Yep. Ain't you been readin' my posts about stayin' safe, boy. You ain't deaf are you. See, I told you I had some country in me. Stay safe. Bill Sipes

4:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, one of my counterparts, Murf.

Maybe next time it will be "I shot a dog today".

Didn't bother my hand a bit. Being this is in type form Bill, deaf doesn't apply, blind may.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should have stopped with "Yep."

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, just yep.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home