Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Marked Time

Things happen here. Some of our Iraqis were ambushed trying to take home their money. They were hit with an IED, then Small Arms Fire (SAF). One died in the hospital day before yesterday. He ran the “Super Market”, where The Ladies Man buy’s his cologne…that he sprayed in my face. The shop keeper was fussing at me because we used his place for Guard Mount in the rain and we tracked in mud. He’s dead now. Another has relentlessly been bothering me for a pill to make him stop snoring. They think there is a pill for everything and we can just go get it. America is a great big super market of your whims. I had heard he was gut shot, but, turns out the concussion of the IED knocked him out cold for three days. He’s complaining his head hurts, and doesn’t remember too much. He didn’t ask me for a pill today.

The terp I’ve been using the last couple of weeks is such a wimp. He’s a great guy. Sadly his Uncle was kidnapped a few days ago and hasn’t turned up yet. He liks the name “Jack”, I call him Billy Jack. Some of my comrades give him hard time because he married his cousin in an arranged marriage. Well, he couldn’t find a wife…But, it’s their society, and as much as I see the bad results of such practices, I on’t say a word. I’m not to judge. The other day I was off. He asked me how much sleep I got, about seven hours I told him. “No, you need fifteen or twenty on your day off”…I’m always having to tell him to catch up. He drags his feet worse than my Step Son when he was 12. But, He’s honest. Ask him what graffiti says and he will tell you straight up. He’s Suni, doesn’t mind the Shia other than minding him. He has no faith in the new government. His family fled the country, and are now being sent back. He’s skinny as a rail but, take him in the chow hall and he’s stuffing his pockets. I’m driving a truck that has an FM radio in it until mine might be fixed (that is a SNAFU, I won’t explain today). He switches the station to an Iraqi one, sings along explains the songs to me and brags on how pretty the woman singing is. Like Nancy. Va Va Voom…

That’s your snap shot of Iraq. I broke through seven months on the 9th. I’m now starting my eighth month.

Now, twice this last couple of week I have dreamed about Guns. First an M1 Garand, and last night a Mini 14. Which I liked, but it was .223, which I didn’t like. At first I told myself the ammunition is readily available, then I said I wanted a bigger bullet, so I went for one in 7.63x39mm. That’s about all I remember. What is unique is hey both have a Garand action.
Now Twister offered to sell me his M1A Scout in lieu of me buying a SOCOM 16 (Garand Actions again). At one point he wanted me to drive to Tennessee to get one. I came a hair from ordering one down at Marcums (that’s a Gun Store in Buttholeville for you non Strangeylvanians) but, my Power Of Attorney Brother is out of state and I wasn’t going to make him go through picking it up. This is when I as on leave…As far as I plan my “to me for me love me gift” will be a SOCOM 16…I may go deaf.

Posts stop here, comments begin.
The Appalachianist…AKA AI.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i like the name billy jack..of course that's from a movie i went to as a child..perhaps he should see it..

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, if I had eaten a ton of tomatoes a day I might not have gotten cancer, but I didn't. As they use to say, "It ain't nothin' but a thing." I try to write about anything but what's goin' on to quote Marvin (my generation) Gaye. You hang tough and on the down hill don't get a short-timers attitude, in other words, stay safe. SNAFU comes from another war and it's still Army. SNAFU says it all. Bill

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wnated to tell ya. i had the first robins fly into my yard today...not much longer till spring!! really looking forward to it now..

3:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, that is why I call him Billy Jack. You could just hear him say "I'm going to stick my right boot in your left year". He's a good guy. Calls me "Brother". Robbins in the yard, it's that time of year. It's this time of year back home that it dawns on me the days are getting longer.

Bill, hang in there yourself. We have lots of SNAFU's. Folks are praying for me back home.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you looked into the CMP program to get yourself a Garand. I think $500 for one.

I think they were selling '03s at one time also, but not sure now. I haven't kept up with it for awhile.

I get the urge every once in awhile for a Garand, but I got so many milsurp long guns laying about the house I'm starting to transfer them to my kids. I've simply run out of room. Plus surplus ammo is drying up and I don't like commercial prices one bit. In fact, you mentioned 7.62 x 39. 2-3 years ago you could get a 1000 rds of Wolf (Russian) for $79. Today? Lucky to find it for $149! You used to be able to find good .303 Brit for a decent price... Same with good quality surplus 8mm Mauser, no more!

Like anything, it goes up and up and up in price as time goes by.

Although... a Garand... hmmmmmm

A.G.T. too lazy to sign in

Yeah, you're on the downhill now and like the genleman above said, don't get careless now, and keep watching your six!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, I've scratched out this mornings class to give at Guard Mount and my always oversleeping terp is awake. I got a reply minute...

Gunner, it's hard for a common man to enjoy such things. That's where reloading comes in handy. Of course that takes a little patience. Reminds me, I've got to buy some new dyes when I get home...LOL, even one for a caliber I don't own.
CMP would be great. The Clintonista's destroying the things...But, a range club is another deal. We don't have a whole lot in WNC. My dad has one, good gun...got my finger once. He's got a great 03' too with a hand worked trigger.

Yeah, I'm holding my breath too about the down hill. Well, Gunner, thanks for dropping in on a Saturday night.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey, I might get a trigger job for my Model 70 when I get back.

10:42 PM  
Blogger sage said...

thanks for the snapshot of Iraq and when you find those snoring pills, can you send me a prescription? I know someone who occassionally say I need them--like when I have a head cold. Keep safe.

11:49 AM  
Blogger sage said...

And you should show him the movie Billy Jack!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, He could use some breath right strips. I don't snore as much anymore. My room mate at Ft. McCoy would wake me when I snored, he only woke me three times during the six weeks.

If I had the movie billy Kack, I'd show it to him.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Seems like there are better things you could be dreaming about cutie!
~xo

9:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh yes there is, Lee Ann. There was not a soul present in my Mini 14 dream. A girl from "My Harem Wish List" would have made it a funner dream. But in the words of Cracker, "Can I take my gun up to heaven?" If you find the answer to that question, let me know."I'll check it with St. Peter at the gate".

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saying hello... cause other comments would be naughty! ("harem wish list" indeed!)

hugs~

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the only way ai, dream harem could get better or sweeter is if they were all offering weapons...(lol)..in some form..

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What it is . . . funner and more better . . . more better is also pronounced . . . "mo better" in Columbia. I remember my son in the six grade saying something was "funner." He was right and I was wrong. Somethings are more funner, but a harem? I get tired just thinking about a harem. Is that something with naked dancing bears waving their tutus (tutues?) in the air. Don't laugh. You will be dreaming about this. It got real serious real quick didn't it. Take care short timer. Bill (better than being called 'old timer' they don't even invite me to watch the dancin' bears anymore, or maybe it was bare dancin'I get confused)

5:34 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

So you have a "harem wish list"!
You should share so we can see what your type is!

Happy Valentine's Day cutie!
~xo

8:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Janie, they could walk behind me and pick up the spent brass...feed the dogs...They could have many uses.
Just kidding. Happy Valentines to you and yours.

Kitten, great big ol' mega ultra special Happy Valentines to you. While offering me weapons seems nice, it's not all about me. it sure ain't about sissy dancing bears in tutu's...or world peace.

Speaking of which, Bill, couldn't you have said Fran Drescher? (What about you Ed?)Oh, I'm not laughing...

Lee Ann, Big sweet Happy Valentines to you. You don't pay much attention to my links do you? That's OK. seek and ye shall find.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten...I'm still not sure what it's about...just not all about me...I'm thinking...

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i walk behind ya ai, it would be so i could pick up on some of this free fertilizer your handing out...(LOL)...you are such a guy! Happy hearts day..(big wet smooches and tutus..)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ms. Tomcatskitten, the only fertilizer is you saying it's fertilizer. Big wet smooches and tight hugs to you too.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talked to Randy Almendinger today. Yeah, happy Vanentin's Day and who is Fran Dresher? Someone else to Google 'cause I'm old fashioned ignorant, but I believe in ya. I truly get educated on your time so take care. Bill

2:08 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Bill, Fran Dresher is quite pretty, but has one god-awful nasally New Yawk accent. View the photos, skip the soundtrack.

---------

The second part of that Billy Jack quote, as I recall it, was "I'm going to put my right boot in your left ear and there's not a (doggone) thing you can do about it." Or words to that effect.

Remember the theme song One Tin Soldier??

3:06 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I looked Fran up this morning myself. She's nearly 50 now. Still looks great. It's all of that laughing.

No, I don't think I remember the song, Ed. But, I do remember "Outfit" by the Drive By Truckers.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still rember the song, still hear it every once and a while...heavens that's been a few moons ago..for about the past year i have been taking turmeric or "curcumin". i take it in the pill form. it is supposed to help with cell form and function. it is also a popular seasoning.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home