Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Not all shabby

The last couple of weeks has been “Be ticked off with the Iraqi’s” weeks for me. They see no shame in pestering you to death. They don’t keep track of things well, make a fuss over things…I could go on.

I have a new counterpart. He’s business. He’s at tentative to his job, staying on the Jundi’s to do the right thing. His voice is whiney in a sense, not being the carrying one everyone imagines in a leader (I remember staying horse when I was a drill Sgt). Most Iraqis are very sociable, asking you about your family. He hasn’t brought it up once, which doesn’t matter too much either way. Every time I see him, he’s doing his job. I like working with him.

Eery now and then you get a case of defy the Americans and I try to avoid that. They are just different than us.

So, this week is being “I’m cool with the Iraqi’s” week for me.

Call me what you will, but just here recently I’ve learned you can right click on the red squiggly line and it will give spelling options…God Bless the Nerd that came up with that.


If we had the Fair Tax, we wouldn't be having things like this. I don't think that we will get it with this Congress. We'll get more of the same.

This is just about all I feel like saying at this juncture…

The Appalachianist

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's cool. Remember, "It's not important for them to know if you are crazy or not. It's just important for you to know." You always have to step back and try to see where the push and pull of training is taking you. Take care

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the camping area atop Mount Pisgah a small animal crouched low to the ground all but invisible in its black form in the night but with two huge round yellow eyes looking up at me . . . . What kind of animal could this have been? Was it a bobcat? It has been a puzzle that has haunted me ever since. My son and daughter in the tent barely stirred as I yelled for the flashlight. My son did the manly thing and slept through the whole event. My daughter ever the young woman asked, "What do you want the flashlight for?" Are they in your training group? If I hadn't been at church with them this morning I would think so.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I curse the red squiggly line guy!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed Brown just doesn't get it. You CAN kick a junkyard dog, pull on Superman's cape, and yes, go ahead an d mess with Jim. But do NOT mess with the IRS, Edward. Been there, done that and I lost - they got their money, plus interest and they're gonna get his. Chisel that one in stone.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I liked being an instructor sometimes. I got allot out of it, and I hope someone got something from me. But, I was tired of it. Training can be such a cooky cutter process. At times I wanted out of the training atmosphere. I had an invite to be a squad Leader from Metcalf when he was with 391'st Engineers, but I was 108th Div NCO of the year and had to finish that out...That's when they ordered me to go to the E-7 board. He left there eventually and I probably would have left with him.

About the yellow eyes. Bobcats don't like contact. They get out from you in a hurry. I can't really tell you.
I know what you mean, Bill, I have puzzles that haunt me too. Some of them, I don't figure I'll ever know.

I thought you spelled perfectly, Murf?

Gunner, your right. They got mine too. I made a mistake, payed what I could, then hit me with penalties. I paid twice as much. Let's not get started on the IRS today. We'll live to fight another day...figuratively speaking.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

A clarification. An addendum, really. Bobcats dont like contact lenses, either.

I also like the spell check feature for the rare occasion I need it. On the other hand, I prefer to write in the vernacular in which I speak, complete with dropped g's, unnatural contractions and made up words. I also write my sentences like I think, which is long and wandering yet improperly structured. It is for those reasons that red squiggly lines become annoying.

Besides, if your spelling and grammer improve too greatly, how will we know it is you and not a ghost writer? I'm sure you'll agree that is a dilema.

Nice use of the word juncture. Didn't see that one coming.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my father seems to be the exception to the rule on bobcats,,every time he walks to his deerblind one gets to traking him..we think it is because of his bad leg. he got surouned by three of them one night on the way back to the cabin, and ended up shooting two of them just to make it back. they were big things here though, when he pulled it's head up to his belt it's bottom touched the ground.i had never seen them work togeather like that till that nigh..but now the ones in other places i have seen run like crazy,,and are'nt much bigger than a beefy house cat...

7:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bob Cats don't like em at all. They don't like eye doctors.

Ed, writing here should be the way it is thought. Honestly, I would be much harsher. But, any way...

Tomcatskitten. My Bob Cat weighed 35lbs. You may remember the story, he got up to eight feet behind me before I turned to see what it was. He didn't know what I was. he just looked at me curiously until I flicked the safety off. I still have him, full body mount. I was back at that same place late last Bear Season. A tree had blown down over the spot and now the Bob Cats walk out over where I sat and defecate. The last thing I had get up behind me was a Raccoon, but, that's a funnier story.

I notice no body discusses over here. Just an observation.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking for myself ai,,i feel i should'nt put in my two cents on something i don't know about,,i am letting you educate me on what is going on over there, heavens knows you can't trust the news..all we hear is the bad stuff..we never get told about new schools or hospitals being built..you know,good news,is no news..but someone getting killed or hurt, now that's news...

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bobcat that goes to 35 pounds is at the top of the food chain for bobcats. After reading all the stories I am even more scared of going camping on top of old Mount Pisgah. I don't think the "thing" was a wearing yellow contacts though. I told someone I had nightmares about the "thing" chewing my leg off (that's why I yelled and clapped my hands and asked for the flashligh. They said they don't go for your legs. They go for you throat. "Oh!" I said. A few weeks later back in Columbia I read where a bobcat had attacked a woman in Charleston in that very same way. Anyway, I hope these small stories are small diversions from the difficulties of your work. Dealin' with folks can be tedious (spelling?). Take care.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Have I been scolded or do I just not understand the comment?

6:51 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, No, I'm sorry, misunderstanding. I would be much harsher in what I say sometimes. I've been lectured on my stinging tongue. I've learned to maneuver my position, but, I don't get around to it here often. I'm sorry about that. "en Avant En Avant, Viva Appalachia!"

Bill, Turkey Hunters get jumped by bob Cats from behind sometimes. The Cat just thinks they are a meal before they find...oops, My Bad...I've found a couple of places where one has jumped a turkey.

Ms. Kitten, I've seen news get slanted. I've seen it be fair. It doesn't have to be good, just fair. About the best news you can read on the net is The Christian Science Monitor. www.csmonitor.com Which, reminds me I need to update my links...

12:07 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I usually do, A.I. but when I come here, I tend to talk and write like everyone else does. Dang peer influence. ;)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home