Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Slobbering Hounds

Back in 1986 I rolled a Monticarlo. The thing was totaled and everyone was surprised I lived. I rolled at 45MPH. Long story. All I could hear besides the banging metal was the song on the radio…”She’s an easy lover”. I didn’t hurt nobody. I walked away.

I got clipped by an Iraqi in a semi and drug fifteen feet backward. All I could hear was other Iraqis yelling and me laying on the horn for him to stop. It’s drivable, but going to the shop. My Brother brought up the Monticarlo. I ain’t thought of that in years. Thanks Bro.

The Iraqi MP’s came to investigate, complete with four guy’s with AK’s and a PKM Gunner.

Happiness is when your Iraqi’s bring you Unexploded Ordinance (UXO) they found first thing in the morning. Something that could have went out on the market or to the insurgents. That stuff keeps popping up like wild flowers.

Unhappiness is when two Jundis get into a fight trying to hit each other with AK’s loaded with live rounds. Others grabbed them and I threw my 9mm into red status just in case. My counterpart separated them. The Iraqi Col. Took care of it. Supposedly the whole thing was over talking trash over the radio. Sticks and stones doesn’t play in this society. Anything for drama. Now, they take their weapons as soon as they get relieved from post.

Well the Chief Of Police kept the crime off the streets deep in his heart we all knew he felt differently, we all knew he was an anarchist”.

While Iraqi’s may be very dramatic people, they are also very polite (in formal way’s) and concerned for friends. Chaos rules the day though. I think of 4th Generation Warfare, what you have here, much less around the world, and it’s inciting of chaos. It’s a form of getting what you want through making things unstable. People will do it to each other. They will impose chaos in any given relationship to keep someone in a certain position of instability. It’s the cruelty of manipulation, a sick way of keeping attention. That’s some of what happens here. Some of the killing is tribal, some ethnic/religious…Some just plain meanness.

Enough of Iraq. I’m here every day. I should talk about better things, like Women’s Lingerie again. Red’s a nice color too. Well, all colors are pretty nice when it comes to that.

Me and a buddy from Montgomery Alabama were talking today. I was telling him about the time I drew my pistol on my room mate, great guy. He was working grave yards and I slept with my door open when he was gone. My room was right next to the front door. I had just dozed off when I heard something like the door getting jimmied and then it flew wide open. I had had some trouble with a girl I had gone out with once and the guy she got engaged to. Long Story. I thought that’s who it was. In an instant I was sitting straight up in bed with my .45 bearing down on my room mate. He’s standing there telling me he was broke down and needed help. My heart was pounding…I have that Sig and there ain’t no safety. Just your wits and discipline.

My Ex would call my name out before going into the room if I was asleep. We hadn’t been living together for long when she startled me after I had gone to sleep and I came up at her with my fist balled up. I thought it was her Ex busting in. He let us be though. Later there got to be so much darn commotion in the house I learned to live with it. She’d still call my name though.

How could a year last so fucking long?...Well round and round she goes. Where she'll stop nobody knows. Y'know that woman put a spell on me, but if you start me, start
me, start me you can't stop me, stop me, stop me
.”

Me and the Montgomery boy were talking. We’re about to start getting short. Going home is starting to peak on the horizon. We were talking about what we will do. All I know is I’ll take Terminal Leave, go and give my employer an idea when I’ll come back to work. By Law, I’ll have 90 day’s. He’s wanting to start driving west and keep going. Just drive around the country. He’s single. I thought once I’d head out and hunt Milk River Montana. Then, I figured no. I’d finally invest in a pair of Bear Dogs and a SOCOM16. I’d get more longevity out of the three. Ray was wanting me to go hunt Colorado with him last year. I told him, I’d be here. Maybe I will go out there with him. But that coincides with Bear and Hog Season. I told Montgomery boy to just come on up to the house. I hope he don’t come in Hunting Season. Just joking.

I got the feeling I'll be in a field of flowers, my head in someones lap and slobbering hounds running around us. But, not during Hunting Season...



From the Great Blue Hills Of God to Mesopotamia,
The Appalachianist

38 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It says post a comment, but sometimes its all just thoughts and poetry goin' through a man's head, and there's nothin' to improve on or anything you can say that can improve on what he's said or written. It's his life and dreams and hopes for a future rolled into a few words. The Great Blue Hills of God says it all. I read it. It's its own poetry and as always stay safe.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Bill. Alright. You be good to yourself. I miss those hills today.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had my heart coming and going with your words today. (you have some "long" stories for sure.)

I want you home, in that field of flowers too!!

hugs~

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drug by a semi... I guess that means another F-350 bit the dust.

Yep, a carefree trip out West would be a way to clear the head, see the country, and likely be a good memory in your old age. But that's what it'd be, just a memory - good dogs and a quality firearm last forever (more or less).

But, to be honest, A.I., I like wood-stocked long guns. But, that's a personal preference. I shoot with a fella occasionally that brings along a tricked-out Bushmaster and can wear out the center on a 50 yd silhouette target on the 100 yd range. Me? I'd just as soon bang away with my ol' WWII Lee-Enfield No 1 and even if I miss I know the noise and muzzle flash would scare 'em to death! :-)


A.G.T. who ain't signed in

8:23 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, I didn't mean for a roller coaster. I look forward to be home in that field.Flowers or none.

I was in a Nissan, Gunner. My Dad's got an 03' that can tack them in there too. I had a dream about a Garand last night. I had me a Garand, all I had to to was put some new parts in it.

I know, you'll thought I was dreaming about women's Lingerie...Close.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

How about putting some new parts in a Garand while wearing womens lingerie and listening to a Phil Collins song? Oh..nevermind...that's my A.I. dream.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

If your talking about me in Lingerie, Murf, that is just so...Not me. Keep dreaming.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you could do a Geico commercial . . . its just better to think about the mountains, guns, and lingerie all of which will seem so much more bigger when you get home (It will all be in your mind though.). I got to be positive. . . I always get on the computer just after someone has posted hugs and kisses (x's and o's), and I don't know what to say as I ain't goin' to hug and kiss ya, so I went to chuch this morning and said a prayer for all of us (all the posse included). My waitress at breakfast has two sons in service. . . the marine is being sent to Kenya . . . a new place (more of less). Teach 'em to drive, but don't use the Montecarlo (sp?)! Janie's right, it don't have to rhyme to be poetry anyway. You got some stories. Bill

2:02 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I'll pass on the hugs and kisses from dudes any way. Women are far better at it. I couldn't get anything out of Montecarlo on spell check, but, coming from your profession, I'll go with you.

Alright

10:18 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

One thing about your being in Iraq. You used to post a lot about hunting and cleaning guns. Sometimes you'd post about an eccentric friend, a weird girl, or the weird girlfriend of an eccentric friend. Oh yes, once you told about getting flashed on the highway as you drove to drill weekend.

Now your tales are revealing more of yourself, your humor, and your sense of introspection. From the guy who used to more or less proclaim in his blog header "You don't get to really know me", now you write as if talking with friends. Which, of course, you are.

Perhaps you'd have gotten to this point anyway. Perhaps not. It's just something I noticed.

So from me to you, thanks for not killing the puppy, thanks for not working on your truck dressed in lingere, thanks for the Social Distortion lyrics, and thanks for the posts. Sorry I wasn't able to come say hello when I was in NC.

UNC was #1 in the ACC. State whupped 'em. It was a wonderful weekend.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gosh, Ed. That's very observational. I'm humbled. I do have eccentric friends, some more than others. The Reguvinator, actually my cousin, is about the most non eccentric friend I have. I'm eccentric. I've never meant to talk bad about none of them though, especially their Wife/Girl Friend.

About revealing myself, I suppose.

No, I wouldn't work on my truck in Womens Lingerie. My hairy body would defile such a lovely thing. I'd also look really silly and well, I don't have a sexual identity crisis. I was going to shoot adult dogs. The puppies are doing fine. I saw them this morning. They left a part out of the Social D lyrics. It's actually "I was hanging out with a couple of chics, just looking for kicks, I was looking for a place for this raggedy ol' heart of mine". The video is on thier web site. "When She Begins".

I wasn't in NC any how, but after I geet back, we'll get up. Little umbrella and all.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

(In my best Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmmmm ... umbrella drinks.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lets see, how about you working on your truck, while while parked in a field of flowers, with a babe in lingerie sitting on the talegate playing with your gun...now it don't get much better than that..really though, some of that was pretty hair raising..glad your ok..

8:49 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Will you feed my Dog's too Kitten?

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee, can i think about it or do you want the answer now?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

What kind of drinks have umbrellas any how Ed?

Kitten, I'm just asking...

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes,of course i would love too feed your dogs as well ai

1:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

LOL, Kitten, I'm a happy man...

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took my grandchildren and daughter to the Columbia City Ballet this weekend. I think I found your red lingerie, but men were wearing it. My granddaughter asked where are the princesses? I was tempted to say those are the princesses, but I was on her side and wanted to know where the princesses were too. Finally, the part we wanted to see, "Where the Wild Things Are" came on, and it was pretty good. My three year old granddaughter (actually both she and grandson) watched and didn't fuss. You guys were on such a roll that I had to play straight-man (no pun intended or maybe yes) and interrupt it. More snow on the other side of the Smokies and cold. Thanks for your kind and tolerent replies (my spelling can be awful too- church is spelled this way not chrh or whatever. I did that. Remember ANOC class and communication. If a message gets through, its mostly OK.) Every day stay strong and take care. Bill Sipes

6:01 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I had an ex wake from a dream and hit me with his fist in the side of my head!
Now...I wonder if it really was a dream! haha

You were hit by an Iragi in a semi? Glad you weren't hurt. Sounds like some wild times over there.

So you are coming home soon? When? Oh, so glad to hear that.
You take care of yourself cutie!
~xo

10:38 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I remember. ANCOC, not ANOC, but pronounced ANOC. I don't think I could sit through a ballet with three year olds. I didn't know they could sit through it. I have to hand it to you. Oh, you ain't stopping no roll.

Lee Ann, I hope you didn't get hurt. I have to give the benefit of the doubt here. You sound like your OK, now here and I'm glad. I used to know a man that would wake in the night with his hands around his wifes neck dreaming of his time in the Korean War. He said he stopped drinking when that happened.

We're getting closer to coming home. I'm still not definitely sure when that will be.

Your a really sweet girl. Lee Ann, don't ever let a man hit you in he head while dreaming again.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, I didn't want to hear you say nothing about no edumakation ever again. I am retired . . . ANCOC it is. When I use the computer I'm as likely as you are to leave out a letter or mess it up too. It is like a hole opens in my brain sometimes. The grandaughter had open heart surgery at one month . . . another story. She and her brother are great gifts from God. You guys are why we can go and sit through two hours of watching people run (dance) around in tutu costumes. I'll bore you with my observations until you get home or I'm banned, but thank you, and as always stay safe. Bill

10:11 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey Bill, I like girls in tutu's...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I intend to talk about my growing interest in WWI next post, but, who knows. I ain't started writing the thing...and such a subject would not be complete without Twister, who is wayward right now.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Annalis said...

Hello, A.I.

Never a dull post...glad you are OK. Take care!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Annalis, good to see you. yeah, I'm fine. it's about 5am here. Time for me to get going. Thanks for dropping in.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tutus?,,(lol)there just is'nt any place you not willing to go is there?? you know some dancing bears look cute in tutus...

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My granddaughter is going to look good in a tutu. At three, she is almost ready to take those dance classes that so many little girls take almost as a rite of passage, but what would you'ns do if you met a bear in the woods wearing a tutu. Well, it depends on how long you have been in Iraq. I shudder to think. I may have to make an emergency visit to the Smokie Mountains National Park to warn the bears. "Moma bears, hide your children, . . . er cubs."

11:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kittens look better in them than Bears. Sissy road side attraction bears wear tutu's...What do you take me for, a domesticated hairy lump of sugar? I oughta...But, I bet you would look good in a tutu...

Bill, that's great about your grandaughter. Little girls can be so much fun until right about 10 or 11...Raising a little girl that ain't completely raised yet, adjusted my attitude about women. Not that it was bad.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

just hello for the cutie!
~xo

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i could care less about the domesticated part,,but i do call you sugar bear for a reason...i can hear those hounds now..

9:27 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, hello pretty lady right back at ya. It's time fr another post isn't it?

I should call you Star sometimes, Kitten. And, not because your out there floating around in space. Your not going to domesticate me, I know you want even try. That's where Kittens fear to tread.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Stay safe. There are still hogs to hunt somewhere (I saw a magazine with a picture of Hogzilla 2 on the cover, of course it was from Georgia.)

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(lol)..Na, this kitten just don't think it's much fun to turn a bear into a house cat...

6:58 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I saw him on the internet, 3score. Quite a hog. There ain't no shortage of them.

Kitten, you couldn't no way :)

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord, you leave all this for a day and people are talkin' aboout kitten, hounds, bears, and hogzilla. Boy, it's gonna be the devil when you get home. All this and a tutu? Which one are you going to put it (the tutu) on first? I can see you runnin' (yes, runnin") through the hills waving the darn thing. I am truly just having a good time with all of this. I hope no one has been offended by anything I might have said. Someone from the torn tutu society might read this or maybe there is a bear who will refuse to wear one. Personally, I would leave Hozilla alone. I ain't smart, but I don't drink, so I'm only half stupid. Take care. Readin' the posts is a good thing, a good part of the day. Bill

4:12 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Bill, I think Hozilla is different from Hogzilla. I saw Hozilla outside a honky tonk on the other side of town, smeared lipstick and a short dress.

Hogzilla, I assume is a big pig.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what she said her name was . . . and she kept my tutu too. (Quit pickin' on my spellen! I'm sensitive enough without all the stressin.) Actually, it reminds me of a story about the night before I went on active duty in August of 68 (Yep!) when me and Nancy Spanski (Yep!) turned out the Fiesta Club at 4:00 AM in the morning. I have got to give her the credit (actually, it was her red dress) though. Saved for another day . . . Hozilla my . . . I have laughed so much this afternoon. Thank you for keeping me humble. Take care. Bill



































































9

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home