Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

All Backwards and Dysfunctional

A few nights ago the Air Force MSgt and Marine Lt. caught some Jundis sound asleep on post (I've woken up more US Guards than Iraqi myself). The Jundis got in trouble for it of course. They were about to get kicked out of the Army, but got extra duty instead. The morning after the day shift Guards that I work with were saying one had taken Valium for hemorrhoids. WTF? "Valium?", I asked. "You don't need Valium for that, they make a cream. Where did he get this?" The clinic they told me. Later that day I spoke to the Air Force Major that advises at the Iraqi Medical Clinic..."Oh no, my guy's are better than that! They will take anything they get their hands on." A pill is a pill to them and there is a pill for everything. It's either that or they just fell asleep.

We convinced them to do a Radio Check every hour...The guy that was knocked out for three days, he will do one every half hour sometimes. I can't get him to stop. at least he's doing it.

You'll know I'm into that "Hick N Roll". "Hill Billy Grunge", or "Gritty Mountain Rock". You can order something through Amazon and get here in a week or less. I got the new Southern Bitch, Strong Medicine, which I am listening to as I write. It's as good but not as spoken out as Snake In The Grass. Which is fine, but indoctrinate yourself in Political Reality and listen to Mark of the Beast. Another good band of that nature out now is....No, not The Drive By Truckers, but yes, them...The Dexateens. Just listen to Naked Ground..."Selling Holy Land for a slice of the pie"...Sounds like Appalachia...

Poor old Appalachia, being whittled away into sprawl, "Exclusive" Gated Communities and Meth Labs. No one grows corn on the river any more. They grow Sod for Suburbanites to put between their concrete. Private Forest Land is disappearing right along with our independent spirit. "It's only like this 'cause we made it this way."

The other morning I sat in an S2 Brief at BDOC. The Chaplain gave a quote..."If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow", John Wayne.


It's all backwards and dysfunctional
The Appalachianist

15 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Sprawl. I despise it. But, that comes with everyone being employed, making decent money, being mobile, and wanting to move on out to the open spaces. Only thing is the open places are filling up, just like you mentioned.

Someone wrote "You can never go home again" and there's a ton of truth in that.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner so true. It's gotta stop somewhere though.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in transylvania county the sprawl is not because of everyone working and doing well. it is trophy homes being built on mountain tops. there are very few "locals" left.local town folk can't afford to live here. the ones that are left are in nursing or building, or some other survice job.if you don't have family land here you are out..there are no young adults here because they have had to move away to find jobs that pay more than menimum wage. the city council caters to the tourists and retirees..and no jobs have been created here to keep peoples children in the area...this county has been called a dieing county as long as i can remember...i better stop here before i really get going..

8:02 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Your right about Trashylvania, Ms. Kitten, the same goes for our neighbors in other counties. it's plain to see. I read on the Hendersonville Times the other day about Brevard courting tourism...It's like the dumb ass's can't figure anything else out...It's a band aid, when things catch up to folks every where else, and they will, the Tourism Dollar is going to halt. People are going to come and see the Mountains, everyone should get a glimpse of them sometime, and they are going to go. Something of substance should be sought. It's an endless thing...cuddle bunches.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Valium for hemorrhoids? Hmmmmm!
I am amazed that you can order from Amazon and it gets there that quickly, and not to mention....when I type this, you will get in a matter of minutes! Wow, the world of internet!
Chaplain seems like an interesting guy!
Be safe cutie!
~xo

11:09 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I know Lee Ann, it's like someone said in the Staff Meeting, they better have an operation.

It is a wonder, I can talk to home over the phone, ad though staticy it's in real time. The Chaplain made no further comment on that..

I hope your feeling better, Lee Ann.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who isn't backwards and/or dysfunctional?

12:36 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Anonymous, I assure your not...you can rest easy. Seriously, I think maybe the Japanese...except for that endless apologizing stuff.

3:56 AM  
Blogger sage said...

the whole of the south is becoming sprawl! it makes me sick every time I go down there. btw, I'm flying down to God's country on Thursday, but will only be in the eastern part of NC.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I would need valium just trying to spell hemorrhoids.(I sm in class substituting at White Knoll High Scool. . . valium sounds good to me . . . the kids are wondering why I am laughing. I don't know what is going to happen to Appalachia either. The mountains are precious, and all in our own way can help maintain its traditions. Listening to you express your love of for the region is one of the many reasons I find myself reading all of you so often. I grow more in awe of what I don't know. Anyway, take care. Bill

2:19 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage,I hope you enjoy your trip. Sage, Bill, yeah, the South is getting all sprawled out and we are losing ourselves with it. Things morph.
Some things are gone. Time does that. People change, but, their core doesn't. They should be recognizable.
Thats in danger for us though. We won't be recognizable.

The last man on earth will be an Appalachian Hill Billy somewhere between North Alabama and the middle of Pennsylvania. "The Last Hill Billy Standing". Of that I am convinced.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

hello cutie....just saying hello!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Alright, Hello, Lee Ann, 11:54 your time...YOu up late girl, but thanks for stopping in.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i found a bloom in your field ai...

8:53 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

A bloom in my field...Well, alright.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home