Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Contracts, what can you do?

I figured you'll would get a kick out of this picture after our Tutu conversation. A certain someone with a feline associated nick name e-mailed me pictures of pigs in Tutu's. I think this is better than pork in pink. Those boots can't be comfortable. That's like cheating. Nice strong legs.

Some one is going to get a Medal for this. I've had three flat tires in three weeks, and I've had an accident twice with an Iraqi in a months time. One backed into the truck I was driving while I was checking Radio Logs inside their TOC. It damaged the hood, and the head lights were knocked in, but everything was pretty much OK. There is a problem though. Some one at the Iraqi Ministry Of Defense decided Nissan trucks should come off of the list of vehicles that the National Maintenance Contractor can work on. It's said that it was costing a million dollars a month to work on these vehicles. Now, suddenly, the contractor is no longer allowed to fix them, and, there are no parts. Getting them fixed is at the mercy of the Iraqi army, which is willing, but shade tree at best. Saving money...While vehicles fall into decline quickly needing replaced. An American had to be behind it and they will get a medal for saving money.

The other day some Armored HMVEE's went out, two to a flat bed, not chained down. They were only going a short distance to a staging area, but still... My Guards were making them roll out that way. I put a stop to it. I told them if it falls off and the Contractor delivering the vehicles had not yet signed for it then it would cost the Iraqi Army allot of money. I didn't go on to say that means it cost the American Tax payer allot of money. But, it worked, they fixed it.

I've heard rumor KBR has lost the contract here in Iraq. The subcontracted companies, such as RMS will stay most likely, if it's true. It's said working for them is not all it's cracked up to be. Most anyone I know that has worked for them say they would not go back to them. And, they are here now working for someone else. They are a very capable company though.

It's getting a little green in places, where grass can grow. Only in small patches. It's hitting the mid 70's everyday. We got hit with an unexpected day of rain. It' feels like May back home.

I know my posting is falling behind. I'm not apologizing though...Don't post for the sake of posting. I've discovered there are Hunting and Belly Dancing videos on YouTube.

Yeah, you'll got a kick out of the Tutu's
The Appalachianist

19 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Sorry. This quote is from the last post, but I liked it. "It's only like this 'cause we made it this way." Seems true enough.

I was trying mightily to get into a band called The Pine Box Boys. They were supposed to be some kind of morbid, dark bluegrass band out of S.F. If by morbid and dark you mean slow and stupid, then yeah. Anyway, I done give up on 'em.

I stood a lot of watches in my time,and I never slept on watch. That you can prove, anyway. Keep them boys in line. Better yet, get them boys in line. Then you can come home and leave the keeping of the in line part to them ownselves.

When I lived in Louisiana we had a little stupid joke when someone got back from a journey. We'd say, "You must be warm 'cause you've come from afar." (Remember, in Looziana, f-i-r-e is pronounced "far".) And what does that mean to you? Nada.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, Ed, that doesn't mean anything to me. But, I know now.

The Pine Box Boy's...Death Grass...Maybe Hayseed Dixie with a Rob Zombie (he's too pop) twist.

What were you going to play?

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acronyms for contractors. That brought a thought to mind. It doesn't change, only a different war. With us it was DZK (Dillingham-Zachary-Kaiser)in Thailand and RMK (Reynolds, Morrison-Knudsen)in Vietnam.

Somehow, I have difficulty comprehending bluegrass and S.F. being associated in the same sentence. I'm old-fashioned I s'pose. Bluegras means Martha White Self-Rising flour, Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Mac Wiseman, etc., etc.

Glad to hear your getting some spring over there, A.I. and are able to enjoy the "arts" on YouTube.

A.G.T.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I didn't know about those contractors, i guess here they are more involved. All the food service is subcontracted through Gulf Catering, Military cooks only serve as facilitators there and Gate Guards else where.
I don't associate SF with Blue Grass either, but, then I did see a Blue Grass duette in front of Starbucks at the fish market in Seattle. They were OK. It's caught on all over, but it still ain't the high lonesome you get from Appalachia.
Thanks Gunner.

Ed, one other, the "only made it this way" comment came from Southern Bitches, "Mark of the Beast". I can not take credit for it, but it's damn true.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok now, the pigs were cute...i bet ya that's a real nice gal wearing those boots..but you know there not for dancing..

4:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ms. Kitten, I'm sure she is a nice gal, helping little old ladies across the streets and everything. Watch one of the girls in pink be an anarchist. Pigs in Tutu's...Ha!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the heels on those boots look like they could lift the back end of a duce and a half off the gound. Soooooooeeeeeee! I reckon. I ain't never seen such thin, high heels, but then I've lived a sheltered life. I hope to stay sheltered a little longer, but I do get an education at Hillbillyrave.blogspot.com. Take care. Take real care. Spring's comin'and it's gonning to get better.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I don't know about a duece and a half, but they jacked that gal off the ground. She may walk the dog in those boots and help little old ladies cross streets. You've got to hand it to those Girls, being able to do that or just wear those boots.
Better than Bears in Tutu's.

Take care yourself, Bill.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So hunting and belly dancing videos are taking the place of keeping your loyal fans in the loop eh? Niiice.

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course she uses them to get little ladies across the street...that's enogh to stop trafic any place...i don't know, i still like bears in tutus, sugar bear..lol

6:50 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

"My loyal fans", I like the sound of that. Well, Anonymous, being that i do discuss Hunting here, that is technically a part of this here blog. you know Belly Dancing...Niice.

Lil' Ms. Kitten, Bears in Tutu's can stop traffic too...and tare open the car to get what food is in it out. You think she walks her dog in those boots?

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well App, I think the dog walks her. Did you know belly dancing back in the day was done by mid-wives in a circle around the woman giving birth to encourage the newborn to pop on out?

Send your loyal fans the links to the tubes so we can see how you are spending your time...

11:24 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I've never heard about that one. Yeah, I might link one or two. When I get to post. Which is in the works.

What kind of dog do you'l figure walks her or she walks either one...
I'd say a Walker Hound...

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

OOOh, yeah, those boots look uncomfortable. I am with you, the first thing I thought was...hey that is cheating!

You be careful over there cutie. No more accidents!

Enjoy the warmer weather.
~xo

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Standard French Poodle w/all the frilly flew/flew trimmings.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, you have to admire someone with the muscle control to stand on their tippy toes, or walk in them boots. I wouldn't mind being her shoe shine boy. Good to see you, be sweet.

Annon, did you know that Standard Poodles were originally Hunting Dogs? Maybe a Black and Tan?

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it's you or the dogs, i would bet she is going to get some drool on those boots..

11:45 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Spit shine...

12:09 PM  
Blogger Trouble said...

Those boots are hot. Wish I knew where I could get some. ;)

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home