Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, March 09, 2007

The Post You Have been Waiting For

I've started writing a time or two and got distracted by one thing or another. Just some of my thoughts...

What Me and My Buddies are saying...

Me: Good Morning, it's another stupendous day in paradise
Him: Morning. What did you say?
Me: An outstanding day in paradise
Him: Oh, I didn't understand you
Me: Sorry. It's another day closer to leaving
Him: That's right. One day closer. I wouldn't lean as far as calling it paradise though...
Me: Yeah, but...
Him: I don't know about paradise. I wouldn't go as far as hell...somewheres in between.
Me: Purgatory?
Him: yeah, purgatory...a good one.
Me: Another stupendous day in purgatory then...
Him: Home will be paradise after this...

A Change
I was tagging along on posting Guards this morning. The Guards coming off all wanted to hop in the back of my truck instead of the big Ashok. A few got in the Ashok. They were laughing and joking. A month ago it was fist fighting...same crew.

The Iraqis finally got smart and moved a Guard Shack that was extra at one point. This was done without us saying anything. It's good when they find their own solution.

Once upon a time in Appalachia
I've been hearing tales of "Big helicopters" buzzing around back home. Back in 1995 the Air Force was using The Upper French Broad River Valley, which is cut between the Blue Ridge Escarpment and The Balsam Range, for OH53's doing nap of the earth. They did that for months. That summer on Bele Chere weekend (A big street party in Asheville) me and a girl sat in the back of my truck at a place called Bennet Knob and watched a meteor shower. We'd spent the day together in Asheville. An OH53 came across us maybe 20 ft above the trees flying blackout...It brought back memories of my Ranger Bn years. Me and her counted twelve stars that night. Damn I thought the world of her.


Some things don't change...
The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can probably see more than 12 stars where you are looking out at the night sky, but it ain't heaven. You know that 'cause you ain't lookin' at it from Bennet's Knob. They say that's where you can see a little piece of heaven, but that's true of most of the hills and montains of Appalachia. It's just that way, ain't it? See, if I get to writin' first before all the hugs and kisses I can say somethin' almost poetic like take care of yourself on the down hill. The Blue Ridge Escarpment is a beautiful view if it is at the Green River Gorge crossing at I_26 to Asheville. Is that it? Bill

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still like "embrace the suck" for Iraq...very fitting.

Glad to hear the Iraqi's figured something out on their own. Now if they would just figure out they could the shining star and land of abundance in the M.E. if they would just get their act together. Laughing and joking is better than fist fighting.

Good Morning to you App... Southern Style:) Glad to find you on the blog this morning. I feel better now. Have a good day.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill I killed allot on Bennet Knob, mostly time but a Deer and a few messes of squirrels. The Blue Ridge Escarpment is the Blue Ridge itself. So, Green River Gorge is on the south end of it.

Good Morning Anonymous. It's nie of you to give me a southern greeting, being your not from the south. Respect that. They figure things out on their own when there is something they want. This was a simple take care of the troops thing, nothing to gain. They often tell you thy could be the shining star of the Middle East. You have a good day yourself.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Just doing a drive-by today, AI. Nothing of note and not even anything stupid to say is coming to mind.

I know you're not a big sports fan, but I'm a big ACC basketball fan. I tuned in to watch NC State in the ACC Tourney (being held 9 miles from where I sit) and darn if they didn't keep winning. I've tuned in 3 times to watch their "last game of the season" and all 3 times they've won. Playing the Tarheels for the ACC Championship. Who'd have thunk it?

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fine night and a good memory that you'll always have, A.I. from that night there in Asheville.

But, are you sure those were USAF choppers? We normally like to knock off around 1700.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the good thing about finding heaven is, it's always there,,it's just waiting for you to find it again...i am sure some of those stars are still there just waiting for your return.

8:03 PM  
Blogger sage said...

It must take a heefty dose of positive thinking to consider Iraq as paradise! Keep ducking and stay safe.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, you are obviously a good luck charm. A talisman of great fortune...They could put you on a key chain like a rabbits foot.

Gunner, I'm sure. it wasn't the Marine version. but maybe they ere flying to a party or something.

Kitten, those stars still shine brightly. They are just waiting for our return.

Sage, you've got have a sense of humor. No, Iraq is a big trash dump. Garden of Eden in Retrograde.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James Dickey, the poet who penned the novel Deliverance, talked about the stars in an interesting way. He put emphasis on the space, the blackness between the stars, that made them so special. Like Tomscatkitten says, "The good thing about heaven is, it's always there . . . ." (What a nice thing to read. We forget too often.)Perhaps the stars remind us when we have found it. The stars will be there when you get home, but in the meantime wear your tutu and cover your . . . .

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know wear your "britiches" and stay safe. I had to be "smart."

1:35 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Dickey made an interesting point, Bill. It's good to know it's there.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do think honey chile you have your annon's confused...I am as Southern as they come...born and raised...just a lil' ol Southern Belle.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home