Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Conservational Soap Box

Appalachia, much less any wild place anymore faces a number of threats. One is pretty obvious, urbanization. Land for the sake of land can be hard to hold onto. One thing is you've got to pay taxes on it while meeting other requirements. On account of "Spectacular views and blah blah blah" poor ground has high value. Then there is the increasing threat of the Immanent Domain Monster, where the Town, County or State will take your land because they would get more tax's out of someone else. Two things disappearing quick in Southern Appalachia is Farm Land and Private Forest Land. Conservation Easements can help with such a thing. Now, that ain't the in all answer. Allot of folks are afraid of them because they feel they would lose control of their land. People need a reason to hang onto their land. They can get a tax break for having a Forestry Plan in pace, but they should for maintaining Water Shed.


Another that is more hidden in the disease and insects that have been imported throughout the years from non native species. One that poses a great threat is the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid. It's a small little bug that eats at the Hemlock Trees. Hemlocks are evergreens, grow out by their lonsome or in groves. They are good shelter for about any bird or animal, but, their long branches and needles help the ground water too. They slow drip it. That and they cool the water below them. The loss of them would be catastrophic to "trout" waters. I was happy to read this article on Beetles to battle Wooly Adelgid and right there in beautiful Buttholeville. There is also the Pine Beetles that plague The South all over and heading north. South slopes that get good drainage and sun are good for Pines. I know quite a few now that are covered in dead Pines where they have been attacked by the Beetles. We need to get them too.

It's a shame to me that no more Controlled Burning takes place in either the Pisgah or Nantahala National Forests than does. Which is fractional. When the White Settlers came to the area the Red Settlers burned the woods on regular basis. Not necessarily a yearly thing but often enough. The Piedmont of North Carolina was a big prairie it burned regularly. Of course there was some woods, but east of the blue ridge was a swath of grass land. The woods of the Mountains varied from open woods to the sun loving brush. Hard wood ash puts base back into the ground, not as good as lime, but it does. Fire cuts back on crowding brush, letting sunlight in and making way for beneficial plants and trees. Pines love fire, some can't release seeds without it. Cherry Trees like burnt ground. There are a number of reasons for it, but man power to controll it seems to be an issue. And, personally, I feel like the Forest Service is afraid because it wouldn't be pretty to tourist. The woods have become thick in underbrush, such as Ivy*, that fires can easily get out of hand.

We say that we will never see the end of it. One thing I've learned over the last couple of years and my trip here to Iraq...Never say never.

The Appalachianist
* Mountain Laurel, we call it Ivy.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw the sprawl going into Brevard. Coming home on the Blueridge Parkway from Cherokee at its southern end to Mount Pisgah to take 264 down to Brevard there were a lot of dead trees in and among the trees that were just putting out tiny green shoots. It will be a fight to save the parks for sure. Someones has to do it. Someone has to love the mountains. Stay safe. Bill

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day ai,,i don't think they will really do anything about it till we have some big fires in our dry season like they do out west..one of those someones got to get hurt things..the sides of 280 are now up for sale out near the line,,i guess what was left of the lobdell land they didn't use in that development..i know it was all old family land for the longest..probably can't pay the taxes on it anymore, or would just rather have the money..

4:29 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, not meaning to contradict you, but it could be the ones you were seeing had just not put out yet, some trees do earlier than others, like Poplars. Then, some may be dead. I can't tell exactly what you mean by the way you said it. Oaks are suffering from Crown die back, which is partly caused by bad ground. It all depends. The Locust are being attacked in the late summer by a bug that eats the leaves and they turn brown.

Lovely Ms. Kitten, years back when the "Sons of Liberty" were wanting to set up a range David Lobdel offered up a portion of his land for that. He wanted the Tax's covering the land, which was over $1000 at the time. He didn't want his wife to be burdened with it after he was gone. It's sad, David is probably face down in his grave kicking. I wouldn't mind having a piece of it myself.

I may have to tell you'll the Sons of Liberty story some time. "Don't tread on me!"

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like hemlocks. We've 7 big ol' tall ones out back along the property line. I mean real tall, they must be 60-70 foot. But they've grown into each other over the years and I think we're going to have to thin a couple of the runts out.

In fact, a fellow with a bucket truck quoted us $1500 to take down 2 of 'em. I told him I'd think about it.

We're starting to see kudzu around here. I guess it travels with the railroad. Can't imagine how else it got here.

10:10 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I love the sound of wind in the hemlocks. You forgot to add the Chestnut blight which changed the forest long before either of us came around--back in the early 20th century--wiping out an incredible tree. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail, there were several sections in Virgina where the gyspy moths had eaten miles of folage--those mts get pretty dang hot when there is no shade! Take care over there!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, I don't know the conditions, but $1500 seems a might steep. I know your thinking about it.

sage, I didn't get into allot of things. If you look over on my links, yuo will see the American Chestnut Foundation. Did you know there is a chestnut forest in Wisconsin? It is an amazing tree. I've seen some put out burrs. One does on Waya Bald on the Appalachian Trail. That's all another post.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i remember dad talking of the chestnut getting wiped out. since our family did it's own milling some of that wood ended up being used in the cabins and line shacks we use now for hurnting. unfortunatly most of those have gone to the ground now. but some were smart to at least save back a little from these buildings..i have a planter made from the wood of one of these,just beautifull..

7:17 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, my out building has hand hewn chestnut rafters in it. It is said to have come from slave quarters. My aunt had a room lined with wormy chestnut, beautiful. There was allot more to them but wood though.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all living in a time of tansition- change. I guess you just have to pick the things you can save to hand down what you can of your memories of family, the land, and what is important. I wonder if we understand anything, the future, the past, or even now as we try to live it and sort it all out. Whatever it is, it is more than just money. My in-laws sold a kitchen made of logs from the 1840's and gave the money to their daughter. There is not enough money in hell for her to get her act together and the log kitchen is gone as is their savings and now they are gone too. I wonder about those cabins up at Cades Cove when I walk through them and think about the lives those people lived. It is so hard to save anything.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a trade off for us. back in the day our land had a overseer. he made policy for the land and you didn't argue it. there was one for each of the sir names vested in the properties, most of the time their policy ran close..just kept the family in line about land use..the land was in big tracks,,divided out to these familys and they shared it. as time went on and wills became popular more of the land was placed in clearly defined names and familys..the overseers policy became weaker along with his word..but the trade off is that now the gov. is less likely to step in and try to take the land. thinking they only have to take on one person..we still follow a lot of the rules on the land.we offer it to family first in a buy out and stuff, but some of the younger ones abuse it.

4:53 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I suppose your right. We are living in a time of transition, and, that doesn't have to mean loss. Not loss of land or culture, which, the two go hand in hand in my parts. It's like that for those cabins in Cades Cove or some fallen down shack off in the woods.

Kitten, it's fortunate that some of that still exists. Land went oout of families for several reasons, the biggest was being sold off to logging companies around the turn of last century. For a good local(Transylvania County NC)is Davidson River, which later became National Forest. Now we have over priced land and it's under use. Allot of those original holdings in and east of Transylvania were grants from fighting in the Revolution. I'm not as sure about west of the Balsams, during that time it was still Cherokee holdings.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Oh yes, that is definitely something I have learned as well,
never say never!!!!

Stay safe cutie!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You know it Lee Ann...Be sweet girl.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home