Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Beans, Bullets and Bull Shit

The days are getting longer, the times is getting closer, and, I'm aggravated.

Iraqi Society is a very abusive society. When they get something they abuse it, whether it be some form of goods to power, they abuse it until it is done. Things are managed with the throttle to the floor. Through out the country are piles of it's discarded past. Like the stereo type of the American South with cars piling up in the yard. When your done with something throw it down. The Iraqi Army was not a very Logistical Army during the Saddam years, and the concept is hard for them to grasp now. If a weapon broke, it went into a pile, a vehicle, robbed of parts. The Supply system, poorly accounted for, horded and traded for supply's. The majority of Saddam's ware houses were empty. There is no reason for the United States to gloat over it's victory over Saddam's Army. It was an army that maintained employment and some internal order...Otherwise it was in disrepair. That has been our mission here, to get a Logistical System up and going. We are here, doing our best and trying hard, getting up each day and taking on issues. Yet, the Iraqis don't quite grasp their own supply system. We have managed to keep up pressure on them to find solutions to their own problems, but as needy (0ne of my guys used the word) as they are, they want to depend on us.

Jinude are getting three 20oz bottles of water a day. That is not enough for my Guards that spend twelve hours a day on a post a mile away from running water. They need it for drinking, washing their hands and face as well as wiping their ass. The Iraqis buy water off of the market, the Americans have a water purification plant. I tell them to request more, that the Americans will not be able to give them water like the summer before, that there are many more American Troops on Taji for the Security Plan. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Slowly though some little changes are being made. I'm often approached by the Iraqi Enlisted to talk to their Officers about fixing their problems. One of our areas posted was shorted on water and a patrol vehicle. "They won't listen to us, they will an American". But, the Warrent Officer in charge of the area spoke to his leadership and fixed it.

One of the Guards took a turn to fast and ran his Uaz Jeep into the fence, before we could tell them to get it fixed, they came up with a creative way of fixing it (using a cargo strap to pull two fence posts back up).

And then recently, we had Jundis (Jinude) quit because they had not been paid in five months. I told the Iraqi Col. to inform these men of their progress on the matter. They insist they will come back, I told them I hope so.

I have an Iraqi Officer that is intent from leading from the Office, in the three weeks he has been in charge I've seen him out on the posts once, to chew ass. The senior Iraqi Officers are more concerned about ordering some Jundi to bring them Chai. They are out of touch, and don't want to be...But a few. A few deserve credit, but it's not in me to give it now.

Me and a buddy watched Deliverance the other night. He had never seen it and said it made him not want to go camping. It made me think of the hills and rivers at home. It reminded me of my Ex Father In Law building a dam that flooded his Grand Fathers land. But, it mostly made me want to be back off in those woods.

Ok You'll
The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds as though it's gonna take the patience of Job to get them up to a self-sustaining level and the American voters are not noted for their patience.

Hang in there, A.I., you'll be back in those mountains soon.

You're in our prayers.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did get to go to church, but it was in Cherokee at the Cherokee Babtist where you turn to go to the entrance of the Smokies east on up the road. A little old lady, a full Cherokee, got up to talk. My heart went out to her. She spoke like country people in my long ago youth. She is Southern and from the mountains . . . 'nuff said. If you can growel, you are doin' good. Take care. Didn't like the way James Dicky portrayed the mountain folk. It is just a film, but . . . . Take care.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! You known you are in a Southern church when they sing Amazing Grace in Cherokee! Bill

7:38 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, I wouldn't say the American Voter is patient. I do look forward to getting out of this flat, dry bed of clay and back to the red clay of Appalachia.

Bill, sounds like you had a good time. Amazing Grace in Cherokee...Could you follow along?

6:46 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

Unfortunately I fear our government is going to give up and pull out before you or your replacements can finish the job you have started. I wonder how long it will take for everything to fall apart?

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

camping will do you wonders for you when you get back...let you feel some dirt under your feet rather than sand.some real trees and a few deer..and you will feel good as new..

6:50 PM  
Blogger sage said...

thanks, I always enjoy reading your take on things over there.

Deliverence was the first R rated movie I saw--I was 17 and had just purchased a canoe and suppose I learned from it to watch my a**.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes . . . most of the time I don't know what to say, so I try to " . . .stay on the good foot" as Jmaes Brown used to say. Going out of Cherokee at the old homestead before you go up on into the Smokies there is a big open field. Right at dusk there were five big elk in the field. I refused to believe they were elk. Someone had to tell me, and then I remembered a year or two (?) ago the Park had released a small group of them. (Too few to call a herd really . . . .) They were beautiful. Take care and come home and see them. Bill

8:35 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

ExMI, good to see you. I'll have to stop by your place. Right now everything is speculation.

Kitten, this is true,it will do you good too. We'll make the best of it.
It's not sand here, it's clay dust.

Bill, those Elk were released a few years back, 6 or 7, over at Cataloochee. That is due east of there, so it's not surprising. I was there when i was on leave. I have some great pictures I should post.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Cataloochee that is.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, I feel for you cutie. I know your job is not easy. I certainly would not want to be doing it. You just stay safe while you are there!
Always thinking about you!
~xo

8:02 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, good to see you. Yes, problems are our business and bsiness is good.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home