Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Here it is

I've not meant for it to be a week for me to get a post again. I've had Internet SNAFU's, or SNAFI I might say, I for Iraq. Honestly, this place is a four letter word of it's own, spell it and count the letters for yourself. There ain't a thing here that is easy or works as designed. Except for weapons, and they don't always add up. So is war, it's a contest of wills smothered in fog and blood. What does that have to do with my internet? Well, I buy internet from an Iraqi (Iraq is a "third world" country, some may argue fourth) in a war zone. While the man does business on an American FOB, he is under guard the entire time he is here and he goes home when the clock strikes 1700. Something else you need to realize about Iraq is, while it has had some very good weapons come into it (on both sides), it has also been flooded with some very cheap goods on the civilian market. So it is.

There's some boy's from Tuscaloosa Alabama called The Dexateens. I'm listening to their newest CD, Hard Wire Healing as I write this. I had first heard their song Red Dust Rising (2005) on the Athens Station I pick up back home on the Mountain. Listening to that station's Sunday night radio show, Local Noise, has turned me onto The Drive By Truckers, Southern Bitch, a few others and I admit a crush on Juicefer. I didn't look into The Dexateens until I saw them linked on DBT's web site (I was hoping to catch a show after I get back home). They are like DBT, if you hear something like "My Sweet Annette" off of Decoration Day, you wouldn't know just how much these boy's can rock. The song "Red Dust Rising" is just that, then getting hit with Diamond In The Concrete throws you around. Both songs from the CD "Red Dust Rising". The boy's are plainly Southern, energetic, raw...Powerful "Hickabilly" sounding.

That's all I'm saying this lovely Arabian Evening.
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am always blown away by so much you have to say about things. I just don't know much about music. The men's group at church had a speaker the other night. He was the drummer from Hootie and the Blowfish. He admitted to being an alcoholic- a recovering alcoholic and gave a wonderful, strong and heartfelt witness. He has not had a drink in two and a half years. It was an interesting and emotional night. I am going to check out some of the music. The good news is good news from a four-letter word you said then stay good or gooder as they say. Take care.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Hickabilly, I like that. Reminds me sort of Carl Perkins' Rockabilly. Regardless, good to see you posting again, A.I.

I bet that was powerful testimony, Bill Sipes. That ol' Devil Rum will definitely get ya' - I know!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I kinda met the boy once, oh, say twelve, thirteen years ago at Five Points there in Columbia. I also met a psycho nurse that night. Personally, I don't care for the band, but that's me. Heritage, not hate. Decent fellar though.

Gunner, Carl beat all of the other Sun Record acts to a hit. I believe if Carl were here, he's like this stuff.

Holler at yuns later

10:44 AM  
Blogger sage said...

a country with the best of weapons and the worst of consumer technology sounds like a good definition of hell. Keep safe

12:49 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I wish I could get the Athens station you speak of.

I remember buying REM's Murmur album (recorded in Charlotte) and going, "Great music, but what's up with the mushmouth??" Since then I have decided WHAT'S THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH, LOSING MY RELIGION, and about 10 others are the best songs ever recorded.

I am a fan of Steve Earle, Johnny Cash, The Tubes, Todd Snider, Jason Aldean, The Bangles, Black Oak Arkansas, and kids on American Idol.

David Bowie? Check. The Ohio Players? Check. The Mavericks? Checkamundo, too.

Anything by Chris Knight or Niel Young will get air time with me. Cat Stevens wrote OH VERY YOUNG for my personal pleasure.

To sum it up, whenever I am asked what type of music I like, I reply, "Yes."

7:05 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, it could be a whole lot worse. Consumer hell...No that's Wal Mart...Living on the FOB is like living in a fortified KOA Camp Ground with occasional incoming rockets and mortars.

Ed,I suppose you said it. I like a fair amount of them myself. You can listen, look down my links to "The Rock Station" 1900 sharp on a Sunday Night. WNCW linked there to has a big variety, try it on a Saturday night. You can listen on line to either one.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i tried to follow your link, it wouldn't let me look at it..that's ok...soon enough you can just let me listen to it..just four letters?..when i can't talk with ya, i think i use a few more than that..lol..take care sugar bear

5:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitten, soon enough you will. You us allot of eighteen letter words you know. I love ya, Kitten.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home