Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

FOUR NINETEEN!!

Four Nineteen. The fourth month, the nineteenth day. April 19th. The shot heard around the world was fired on this day at Lexington Green. The Warsaw Ghetto , The bay of Pigs failure, Branch Davidians were burned alive by the FBI and then there was the Oklahoma City Bombings which we don't know the whole truth of, all happened on this day. All were fights for freedom or survival, except for the OKC Bombing. It was a tragedy, what ever the truth may be.

The biggest threat to our freedom's is ourselves, and it's best you remember that.

We've finally purged TND of the Air Force. First it was my mid tour OIC, then it was the worlds biggest player (USAFR), and finally the Texican and my initial OIC that had returned for a couple of weeks. Also the team that advised the Iraqi Base MP's rotated home. Just kidding. I enjoyed (what you can under the circumstances ) working with them. I've learned respect for Air Force "Cops". Though through different Military Cultures, and orientations,I didn't always see eye to eye with them they were professional and dedicated. They are all on their way home now...Boy's be good! Like I said, it's a small war.

People that I have seen come have left. It's Mile Stones. The extension you have heard about doesn't apply to us. We are Army Reserves, except my new OIC which is Active Duty Marine Corps. The extension was for Active Duty Army only. As of the 17th I've been Activated for one year.

The other day a couple of us noticed a bird that would sit next to a side view mirror on a truck and peck at it's reflection. It did it over and over. The next day there were two and they sat there and pecked at their reflections, and again the next day. They can obviously communicate.

My point is, don't take this day lightly, nor your freedoms. FOUR NINETEEN!

Fly me courageous...
The Appalachianist

9 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

I don't know, A.I., it sounds awfully fun to be just a couple of birds sitting on a side view mirror, finding entertainment at pecking at my own reflection. Now that is freedom.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Speaking of the youngest service, for his actions over North Vietnam on this day in 1967, Air Force Maj. Leo K. Thorsness was awarded the Medal of Honor - once he got out of his 6 year stay in the Hanoi Hilton.

You're short but keep watching your six, Sergeant!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I would suppose it is Murf. That and no one is going to lock you up in the nervous hospital for it.

That's a neat history tid bit, Gunner. I'll keep watching.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wesley Memorial Methodist are sending care packages to the 82nd- anything that won't melt in shipment to Iraq. I spent the morning at the commissary putting together my share with daughter Elsie. I'n thinking of getting back to Brevard soon and visiting Sliding Rock on 276. I went there before the bath house and changing room when a car filled with people had it to yourselves/themselves and could pretend to be the only one who knew about it- you and Daniel Boone. Come on home boy and keep your butt covered a few weeks longer and then be careful comin' round the mountain. Bill

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The biggest threat to our freedom's is ourselves, and it's best you remember that."

Amen and Amen

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am glad you will not be delayed..or if you are not by much...just a little longer and then...play time...

5:22 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Thank you for the reminders.
Stay safe cutie!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our church got a fair amount of things to send the soldiers in Iraq, and yet it looked so small given the need. We are a small church and we care deeply for everyone over there. Now stay safe and come home safe. I check in every night to read the posts and I agree with most everyone about that.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'll talk to you'l after my internet comes back up.

Kitten...make me blush:)

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home