Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Solutions



"Sometimes you've got to loose yourself to find what your looking for".
Burt Reynolds as "Lewis" in Deliverance.

As a further thought of my former post, the irony of this environmental loss is the desire to renew it. This is done by true conservation, not the not the current "Environmentalism" that is polluted with political motivations.

Once throughout the large part of the eastern United States the American Chestnut was king. It often grew up to 100ft tall, and one was recorded as 17ft through. It bloomed in June when the threat of frost was gone, so it was able to produce more mast than any other trees of that nature. The chestnuts came in burs so they were in a chest of some sorts, hence the name. Chestnuts were high in proteins for both animals and people. Both the Indians and "settlers" burned off the leaves to expose the nuts to gathering or game/stock. Places in the Mountains of Appalachia named Yellow what ever were named for the chestnuts given it a yellow appearance in the fall. Early last century a blight brought in by the Chinese Chestnut wiped out the most of the species. They were pretty much history, only "Snags" standing off in the woods by WWII. The wood is excellent for about any use (Moonshiners used it for their fires because it didn't smoke up as much as some other types of wood). Wormy Chestnut came from these snags. The loss of the chestnut was a devastating thing culturally and economically. But the chestnut is a tenacious tree. I've seen them standing over twenty feet and putting out burs before the blight hit them. My former Father in law told me of one that was as big as a twenty year old poplar until the power company cut it down. A few are able to fight it off. But ironically the same tree that imported the blight that devastated it will be the one to contribute to it's return, thanks to the American Chestnut Foundation. By crossing the two a hybrid will be reproduced that is blight resistant. I've been involved with the Asheville Chapter and it's something I plan to be involved with again upon my return from this dusty wasteland.

The thing is, people see the issue and address it with a reasonable, scientific approach.

Once the Appalachians had big game not only in deer, bear and turkey, but elk and buffalo too. The buffalo, for whatever reason were a fading thing upon white settlement. I'm personally not sure why, I've read things that indicate this, but no reason given. Elk were throughout much of the region too. They had been recorded as far south as Greene County Ga. by William Bartram prior to the Revelution. But, through loss of habitat they died out. It's often said a species is over hunted, but, I personally feel that is an over statement...Look at Alabama's Deer Population, something I remind North Carolinians about Coyotes and Deer...I've seen many more Coyotes in Alabama than Western North Carolina and they have way many more Deer than the latter. Over hunting can be a problem at certain stages, but habitat is as much an issue of everything. Elk have been reintroduced to Appalachia at a place called Cataloochee. I was there when I was home on leave. Me and my Father took a ride up there, we took some great pictures I now have on disc. This was an effort by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Friends of the Smokey's, and others. It was rough for them at first, but they are coming along. So is the Red Wolf. Elk are also in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky.

Hogs are non native and I'd kill everyone if I could. They root up the woods and crowd what belongs there.

As I said before Farm Land and Private Forest Land are in rapid decline. The North Carolina General Assembly is making an effort to reverse that. It requires $1 Billion in Bonds, which unfortunately means taxes. As much as I don't like that, I'll take it. It would all be gone if we waited for something to reverse the trend.

Iraq news...I just sometimes don't feel like talking about my day to day...The Jinude get three little bottles of water a day, as I said, not enough. I talked to the Iraqi leadership about getting "water buffalo's" at the posts. All of the ones in stock (some are very cheap ones bought from local contractors, who rape the system) were promised out. The other day I was checking if they had the posts straight when they came handing out 5 gallon Jerry cans of non potable water for washing...An Iraqi Solution. I have found if I continue to express the problem, they will find a solution.

That top picture is of Transylvania County NC, those are Chestnut Logs.

Wake up Appalachia, it's time for you to solve your problems...
The Appalachianist.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is not a thing wrong with your post. I stopped at the entrance to the Smokies at Cherokee and walked aroung the homestead there at dusk. It was dark when my son and I walked through the barn. A bat flew down the breezeway esaily missing us. We walked up to the house that had been relocated there a long time ago as an example of an older framed log house. The logs were huge, split, shaped and matched. It was truly an act of love of a man trying to build a fine log house for his wife. We might not think much of it, but it was importent to him, to her, to them, to their time. It needs to be remembered and kept. Read between the lines of the sign telling how the house was built. It is importent to us. What a history the Smokies have of people just trying to live their lives. Thanks, stay safe. Bill

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see my sense of humor more than anything in my posts because I am naturally upbeat and the world rightly amuses me.

But, you have known me to lament the paving over of Florida, a place that can be beautiful if left un-raped. A guy regularly hangs a homemade plaard on a speed limint sign as you cross over Tampa Bay (which is water and not a city)that simply states "CONDOS SUCK". It gets removed just as regularly.

Our politicians have introduced a bill to stop localities from enacting conservation/preservation regulations greater than that of the state. What little restraint shown in the pillaging of the land is due to local law, not state law, so you can almost see the beady-eyed developer whispering in the good pol's ear while handing him a check.

Anyway I, like you, have a great respect for the past. I have a love for the southern culture, warts and all. And I, like you, get filled with a meloncholy at the thought all that is quietly slipping away from us. I feel you, brother.

Ramblin' Ed

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy in the above post hangs a homemade PLACARD on that speed limit sign. For some reason I accused him of hanging a "plaard" on it, which, as any fool knows, is not the same thing.

R'Ed

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello ai,,don't worry you wont stay lost for forever..and i am pretty sure you have found what you are looking for..i love the photos..i have a lot of black and white but not much that documents any events..great touch..

7:05 PM  
Blogger sage said...

That's a darn good post! Thanks, I learned a few new things about the chestnuts--like using the wood for stills since it didn't smoke. BTW, about two weeks ago I wrote about a great uncle of mine who did some moonshining. Actually, the moonshine industry was good to my family--providing jobs on both sides of the law, as I had a great-great granddaddy who was a revenuer. Keep safe!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey You'll, I can't reply specifically to everyone ye, my power cord is dead and I'm on battery. But I appreciate yuns.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too . . . about preciate youns. . . -er, yuns. Hope that is your most difficult problem of the day. Hang in there . . . another day closer to home. It has gotten cold again for Easter. I am to take my grandchildren on a train excursion. I asked my mother (their great-grandmother) and she said, and I quote, "I can walk faster than that train." Later the real reason came out when she said, "The last time I road that train (at Christmas) I almost froze to death." Well, I hope it is not that cold. The passenger cars date from the twenties of the last century. Cover your tomatoes. Cover your tomatoes, and keep -em covered. Bill

10:19 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

So, you spend a lot of time in Alabama? What about Birmingham? How about the burbs surrounding Birmingham?

Hope things are going well over there. Stay safe cutie!

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you.

Was 78 degrees here in the city yesterday....our one day of summer sure was nice. T-shirts, flip-flops and halter tops and shorts ruled the day.

hugs~

12:07 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Happy Easter over there--we got snow up here--I can tell I ain't in the Old North State today

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter sugar bear!!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Easter! It is cold this morning as I am on my way to sunrise service. Thanks. You are busy. Take care. Bill

4:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Howdy you'll, this is my chance to reply to everyone as specifically as I can. My lap top is without a power supply so this here blog thing is backburner.

Bill, I doubt he could keep his bride if they lived in a leantwo. But, it is a well built house.

Ed, I knew a fellar that would take for sale sign s and throw them off in the woods. What you are saying points to the fact that not only is the big looming Federal Government a threat to us, but the Local Governments as well. A little place like Alibaster Alabama (Yes, Lee Ann, I know it, been there)condeming houses so a developer can get the land. It's true people have to have a place to live, but thay have to have a place to breath too.

Kitten, I lost myself at my early twenties. I was reffering to Eroding Appalachia, not myself. Yes, that picture hangs in the Court House, but, I got it off of TACF's web site. One of them on that log is a McCall.

Sage, I'm glad somebody got something out of it, I got some e-mail repsonses too. I've not been able to reply to them. It's good wood, very rot resistant. The Indians who had them in theb areas would use the bark for shingles, as best I know, they kept pretty dry. That was documented by William Bartram.

There is always a cold snap about Easter. It was in the 90's here. Back home they got snow. So, Bill, did you go?

Lee Ann, I wouldn't say I spend allot of time in Birmingham, about once a year or so. I am familiar with the south end below Cahaba River, Inverness (I remember when everything on the other side of 280 was woods and hunting clubs), Chelsea, Wilsonville, Columbiana, pelham, hoover, calara...I have Transplantylvanians right down the road from there.

When I was in the SeaTac area I noticed that when ever the sun popped out, the women popped out in the shorts and tank tops just as quick. LOL, that was in June. And, I know SeaTac is a town, but a cool abreviation. Anyhow, I hope you'l enjoyed it while it lasted.

A post happy Easter wish to you too, Cuddle Kitty.

Bill happy Easter...Happy Easter, now that it's gone, to all of you.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Wow, you are familiar with the area I live. I am right behind the Colonnade off of Cahaba River. Right in the middle of the Hwy 280 congestion!
I think it is sad to see these big Old beautiful trees cut down for new development. I give Kudos for any developer that really tries to preserve as much of the nature as they can.
Have a good day cutie!
Stay safe over there.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know which mccall it is was..or which family of them it was for around here? apparently there was rosman mccalls and brevard mccalls..they don't claim eachotheir so it is hard to tell how or where they started here...there are several families like that here. mine included

10:41 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, I probably know it when I see it, but I'm not sure what you are talking of. If one day you hear someone hollering "HEY LEE ANN", going down 280, then it could be me or someone that just read this. Lee Ann, be careful what you put out. But, yeah, I know the area some.

I can't remember Kitten. It's labeled on the courthouse wall. The picture hanged near th tax office. The McCalls, Galloways, all of the big family names were all once one family, they just got populated to that point. That's not necessarily the case with Wilson's though. Some moved in years back from elsewhere.
LOL, so goes the descendants of the Pioneer families...

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home