Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Troubled Ground

Before I left for Ft. McCoy I had a mess of gun and hunting stuff sitting on top of my gun safe. When my mother came in she got a plastic tub for some of it to go in. I opened it up and I think the bottle of doe in heat scent came open. I closed it real quick. I might have to sit it outside and air. It sure ain’t none of that Elizabeth Taylor stuff.

Sunday I took a ride up Davidson River* and got out and walked along it some. I saw allot of dieing hemlocks and that scares me. It wasn’t nearly as bad before I left. Back in the spring a fierce wind storm came through and blew down quite a number of trees. This has been gong on with various storms the last couple of years. I noticed something beautiful about it though. Where the trees blew down sun light is hitting the ground providing spots for new growth ad different species. That’s actually a characteristic of old growth forest. The sun has to hit the forest floor some. Appalachian Forest are out of whack, they're a little out of order. For one they aren't supposed to be choked in laurel and ivy. Some of the "virgin forest' still exists, it's just in slithers off in remote areas.

The little places where trees came down will help some with wild life. The Ruffed Grouse for one. They like young growth and borders (ie. grown over roads) mixed with the older stuff...Variety. Grouse have a high chic mortality rate. Expecting Cherokee mothers would not eat grouse or grouse eggs fearing it would cause complications. Back in the mid 90's I flushed them all the time, I don't so often any more. The males like to get up on dead logs and "drum" by beating their wings against their chest. This is supposed to attract the ladies...It will sound like a generator cranking. I about shot one off of a log once, but, he got clear by a fraction of a second.

But the hemlocks dieing leaves a deep wound. Their shading of ground and the slow dripping of rain from their limbs keeps streams cool for trout. Appalachian Forest are a concerted effort. Their unique...And in trouble.

I took this here kissing test on line (my lap top is all smeared with virtual lip stick) and this is what it had to say...


Your Kissing Technique Is: Perfect

Your kissing technique is amazing - and you know it.
You have the confidence to make the first move.
And you always seem to know what kissing style is going to work best.
Sometimes you're passionate, sometimes you're a tease. And you're always amazing!

Are You a Good Kisser?

All of those bikini models don't know what they've been missing...

"33"
The Appalachianist



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see your getting back into the woods, A.I.

"33" ? That was (and probably still is) a Vietnamese beer.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, it's good to be back off in the woods. I'll probably spend a little more time there soon. I've seen "33" on French beer cans from years back. I've been told the meaning, but we can leave folks guessing.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

A.I: Part environmentalist, part show off.

8:26 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I saw a lot of strained trees last week down in NC, assuming it was the drought. you're right about how we're all connected.

can I cheat off your kissing test so I can get a perfect score and brag to the women... on second thought, that might get me in trouble

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so..were you sniffing the doe in heat before you took the kissing test?...lol..no, as far as i know estee lauder has yet to come out with their own versions of doe in heat, strut in the rut. or any of those really funky natural smells yet...lol

7:07 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Correction, Murf...A.I: Part conservationist, part plain spoken.

Go ahead Sage, but make sure you get all of that virtual lip stick cleaned up before someone sees it.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, kitten, simultaneous comments...No, they haven't. Pete Rickards hasn't come out with something nearly as sweet smelling as that stuff someone sent me over seas...

9:57 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Ahhhh....you and me both!
:)

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home