Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rothko Chapel

Today I heard what I thought was...Is, a way cool song on WNCW. Just as I was getting to work, I had to sit and listen to it finish. It's by David Dondero and the song is "Rothko Chapel". It's an MP3, so, if you have dial up, be patient, try it late at night. It struck me. There is a Rothko Chapel, I found, way down in Texas. I couldn't find the lyrics...Shucks, I beleive Charlie Parker may be the Jazz legend, yet, I'm not sure.

"If you don't live it it won't come out of your heart, chances are you'll never be reborn".

Yeah, I know, rockabilly hill billy nerd...
The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Correction, "If it down come out of your horn", not your heart...Better clean my ears...

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right - I think he was a Jazz "Great" from the 40s and 50s. Seems there was a movie Clint Eastwood did that honored the guy... I could be wrong about the Eastwood thing.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I didn't know Clint did one. Honestly, I didn't know who Charlie Parker was until I did a google search. Gunner, your just so full of knowledge.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

I hope you have a wonderful weekend cutie!
~xo
Lee Ann

10:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, it's Friday, you have a good weekend too, Lee Ann.

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but it's the truth. I just wish I could get there . . . reborn. I'm still tryin' to understand some of it on my clear days . . . but I can't get much further than Standin' in the Need of Prayer or Amazing Grace, but it is said that there is Hope even for me. It made me angry (not directed at you) because I/you/we don't have to put down, excuse, or turn up our collective noses at hillbillies . . . sorry my slip is showin' . . . but you can stumble on the truth in a lot of places and hillbillies are pretty good stumblers . . . me too. The English Chappel/Church up 276 . . . doen't it have services? I want to go there for church service some day. I promise to sit in the back and be quiet and listen and watch. Oh! I hope you weren't late for work . . . it is hard (I thought so anyway.) to come off active duty and adjust to "work" time. Take care. Bill Sipes

2:29 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey, Bill, I'm not sure what you are saying made you angry. The song is not sacreligous in my opinion. When you have relation, not religion you find God in non traditional things. To me he see's the girl as a blessing. But it is funny, me and my co worker think, that her heart is a "somewhat comforting" "Cold dark void". woo hoo! My kinda woman! I'm not going to get into religion...
Yes, the English Chapel is still a going. It's Methodist. I'm Baptist(was in a Methodist church last month ought to post on that)Since Baptist can read so much now, there ain't no real difference in the two...Joke.

For ya'll reading this, it is an old rock church on Davidson River inthe Pisgah National Forest inmy sick, but beloved Transylvania County NC. It sits next to a camp ground.

Most everyone in Southern Appalachia are Baptist or Methodist, but, being true Hill Billies, not all of us always agree with the churches we attend.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home