Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, August 10, 2007

60 Days


I'm not sure what to write about. My mind is in different directions, usually is, but, a bit more so now. Iraq is there, I lay down at night and it's as clear as day. All of the faces, the voices, the sounds and places. Not in a bad way, just amazingly clear. There is of course my hobbies, keeps you young, then my mind wonders into the human. T.E Lawrence said that Arabs believed in people, not institutions. They did. I said before, here, that I can't blame them...Because, I share the belief. I developed the realization years ago. It's a part of my Appalachian up bringing, it's a product of my life. I owe the foundation of that to my dad and my late uncle Charlie, I know when someone is pouring water down my back.*



Over there no one trust any body. No one tries. No one tries to be trust worthy. I see that my old counterparts are up to their tricks. I never tried to change them, A leapord doesn't change it's spots, they have to come to realisations to change themselves. I tried to help them solve thier problems, sometimes succesfully, but more so futily. They would do so in face, with a smile, then revert to the norm...Smiling. Not all of them, the low rung guys would cooperate on their level, the higher up, the more stone walls(except a certain Col.). Cooperation was usually on a short term basis and you were constantly dealing with a new charector. Corruption is a part of the institution, a person has the good in their heart. Frankly, some people are leapords and don't change their spots, and these people thrive in the institution. It was chronic in Iraq and allot of nice people suffer for it over there.

If you dwell on bad you will get bad. You will believe a lie and deny the truth. If you affirm good, you will get good, see truth and the truth will set you free. Why did I post that picture of Tori Amos, because I appreciate beauty. I've always loved that picture of her. May the truth set me free. She looks so positive. And since I just got through talking about Arab Leapords it is nice to see a beautiful, smart, talented woman with a Manlicher across her lap...and muddy feet.

I began writing this on the morning of the 10th and finish it on the evening of the 12th. I've been home from Iraq for 60 days. Heck, I ain't fed Squeaky yet, so, I'm going to post this.

*Yes, I am hard headed, in the 2nd definition, but I'm also open minded. "I'm a wild hearted son".

Sua Sponte...
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

That's one of my favorite CDs that you have pictured. Not because I like her music but because of the one song that uses my name. Granted, in the song, my character kills herself and overall, it's a rather depressing song but after years of Boston's "More Than A Feeling" being the lone song that uses my name, I still embrace it.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You been home 60 days and ain't fed Squeaky yet . . . my goodness. Squeaky ain't been barkin' enough . . . he be too weak to bark . . . is Squeaky a she . . . I forgot. Good post. It applies to all of us . . . me especially. You know I'm an old man when I look at that picture and start looking at the wide wooden floors and the rockin' chair and the cabin. I'm kinda ashmed to admit that, but I'm gonna try and find that CD. One of the wonderful things about reading this post is coming across so much that I just don't know. It is a learning experience in so many ways for me anyway. I always said that Appalachia needs you back. Take care.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to sign it at 10:59 AM. I know you fed Squeaky>

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Not much on Tori Amos songs. I wanna like 'em, but generally, I don't. However, she has the one quality that overrides it all. She's a red head.

I too, am a wild hearted son. Except, I think instead of wild hearted, it might be more hard headed.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf and Ed, I'm not entirely prone to all of Tori's music, but, I do like allot of her stuff. She is a very smart and talented woman, and Ed, she is has more than red hair.

Murf, I've not actually heard all of the CD. Seems like there is an old 60's song that has Marianne in it.

Speeking of the 60's, Bill Sipes, you only seen a porch, the first time I saw it I saw thigh...Beautiful face then Manlicher. I suppose I will see you on the 15th of next month over on Wash Creek.

I believe you are, ed, and that is what I like about you, Hippy Soul and nobodies fool...

I had a liter of saline go through my eye at the ER last night. They couldn't find what was in my eye, but they sure got it out.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hopefully now that you are home, you will have the chance to enjoy beauty more often cutie!

12:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, that is nice of you, Lee Ann, beauty this morning was Bosco grinning at me as I left for work.

6:59 PM  
Blogger sage said...

hope she washes her feet before bed!

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home