Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Split


She's pretty, ain't she? She's a Kemmer Cur [2] pup, eight weeks old. I picked her up down in Tate City Ga, which is a collection of houses on Tallulah River. I got her off of a boy who both him and his brother are well known for their Curs. I've decided to call her "Split" because the white splits her face. She's not a pet, she's a hunting dog.I'm having to keep her safe in my out building...AKA man cave...I'm still living by myself so the whole house is a man cave...Any how, I'm keeping her where the Coyotes won't get her. The other night they were howling right behind the house. Bosco must have been loffering. Squeaky is use to them, they were behind his kennel in Macon County. Bosco loffering in the night...well, it was the weekend...

Now you know I have a full bred Plott Hound, I don't have no intentions of mixing the two. I've still got my eyes open for a female Plott pup. I like Curs, but, I wasn't as interested in them as Plotts, however, the opportunity struck to get her cheap, so I did. They say you make your own luck, and when God provides an opportunity, you take it. When Heaven offers advice, listen. It took me a while to get to that realization.

Well, I am done writing for now, I'm going to get out in the yard and stretch my legs and mind.

The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, she's pretty, and she looks smart too. You can't have everything, but pretty and smart will go a long way. She'll even out the pack and provide the smarts for it. Yes suh . . . she looks like she'll do that . . . .

4:44 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

She's adorable. How can you not want to snuggle in bed with her, you hardhearted person? :-)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Unfortunately, I just buried her. Parvo. Another boy got two from her litter and one died the same way, he thought it was the parvo shot that did it, I held off for a week, Maybe I should have gave one to her earlier. I'm having to disinfect where she was and give the two other dogs boosters.

There's "ifs" in this...If I had done this or that...In a since I feel like I blew the opportunity, she was such a good natured pup. I do feel sad for her. Yesterday she was a healthy dog. I hate it. There's no sense in worrying about the uncertainties, worrying is just negative fantasy.

Goodbye Split.

I've never been called hardhearted before...

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I was gonna agree that you are hardhearted, how does one keep a beautiful puppy like that outside...and then I read you lost her. I am so sorry. One of my friends lost a great puppy to parvo and we were quite devasted. She had him just long enough to get real attached.

You might not keep your dogs in the house but you sure are great w/words. "There's no sense in worrying about the uncertainties, worrying is just negative fantasy."

Don't beat yourself up App w/the what if's...hard enough as it is. You loved her for the short time you had her, if you hadn't taken her she might have never had any love. I just lost my beloved Petey Girl last May and I still have not recovered. It was her time and she died in my arms at home just like I wanted. I miss that dog like words can't explain.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sorry you lost your dog.

It's alright, Annon. To add insult to injury, the darn tail gate handle on my truck broke as I was pulling her put to bury her. I've gotta grin...Fix it.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I will withhold sending you a 'Hunting Dogs Need Love To' bumper sticker until you get your next puppy. ;-)

7:02 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Ever since you posted this picture, I've been wondering...whose that sitting behind her wearing a shirt with a map on it and what is the map of?

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I tried to post the other day and for some reason could not . . . I just wanted to say I meant what I wrote initially, and I am sorry . . . it's life. She was and would have made a good dog . . . I think. Falls coming . . . listen . . . the hounds will be running soon. Take care. Bill Sipes

4:29 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf that would be Twister and the map will be Maine. He liked the place, I thought it was pretty myself. My Dad had to spend a winter there and he didn't like it. A story was told of a Hunter here taking his Cur's up there and someone called them "bird dogs", he loaded his dogs back up and headed back home.

It's alright, Bill, I'll get me a good gang of dogs going.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, that's a shame, A.I. She looked a fine pup. Guess it just wasn't meant to be.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Gunner, you shot down my "God provides an opportunity" thing. Darn I made the coffee strong...She had it before I got her, not much that could have been done. I suppose I learned a thing or two though, and she knew I was trying to help her.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home