Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Dog Box Confessionals

The Box

Everyone that see’s that Dog Box brags on it. It’s home made from a mix of bought and scrounged materials. It’s mostly ply wood with a 2x2” frame. Everyone likes the color, especially me (tell me you like the color). Some people question it, but, you can squeeze up to six dogs into that box. Four is ideal.

The angle iron frame is for “Rigging”, where a “Strike Dog” dog is snapped onto it and slowly driven along to see if they wind something. Sometimes it can be a useful practice. It also has uses of Hunters riding on it, a dog that is caught and won’t fit into the box or strapping a cooler onto it. I admit I’m hauling it around right now for not much, but, truth is put a step ladder on it while its in the truck and you can really reach the eaves of the house. I’ve been staining my house.

The Rifle
I did the Duracoat job on the Socom 16 (308 Winchester). It was color schemed in “grey wolf”, “sniper green”(OD) and “flat dark earth”, which I think is not all that dark, I darkened it up with some grey. That was the first time I did a digital Duracoat job and I admit it was a little difficult. Yet, it does make the rifle less detectable in the woods, and the polymer coating will add to it’s durability. It’s fitted with an Aimpoint short red dot sight. I just managed to get it sighted in last week. That rifle likes those 180 grain bullets, which is fine, I like a 180 on a Bear. Bears are not all that hard to kill, but they are hard to stop, and when it’s you and the Dog’s up against an angry, hissing Black Bear, you want to stop it.

One of the boy’s I hunt with some has taken to the 450 Marlin, which ought to do the trick. Still the 30/30 and 12 gauge with slugs are popular.

The Natural World
There’s concern this year tat they will be “Stove Pipe Bears”, lean from lack of food and will be able to run more (on account of the late freeze). From what I can see acorns are spotty. But, where there’s acorns, there’s acorns. There is a white oak down the drive way that is loaded. I’ve been told of a place on the Jackson County line that has “all kinds of acorns”. Bear, Deer, Squirrels, Turkey’s they all prefer white oak acorns over the others. Unfortunately, they bear every other year. Bear and Squirrels are at the advantage that they can climb after them, the others have to wait for them to fall.

You can do your best scouting right after the last season, but, you get to see the food supply in late summer and early fall. It’s time to get out and look.

I did say that the locust are doing better, well, that is spotty too. I have some here that have some leaves eaten, while, in other parts of Transylvania County locust tree’s are either eaten up or just as green as spring.

Attitude
Now, I know this post is a little…Mountain Nerd…But you’ve gotten a dose of…Mountain Nerd…Oh to be a Hill Billy Adrenaline Freak…Any way if It’s your first time here, “dance around the camp fire, hang around a while."

I just heard this song on the radio as I wrote the last paragraph. "It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else"...

Jimmy Eat World, The Middle.

Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out
Or looked down on
Just try your best, try everything you can
And don't you worry what they tell themselves
When you're away.

It just takes some time, little girl in the middle of the ride (over, and over)
Everything, everything will be just fine (over, and over) Everything, everything it'll be alright (alright)

Hey, you know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own (on your own)
So don't buy in.
Live right now
Yeah, just be yourself.
It doesn't matter if it's good enough
For someone else

It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride (over, and over)
Everthing, everything it'll be just fine (over, and over) Everything, everything it'll be alright (alright)
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride (over, and over)
Everything, everything it'll be just fine (over, and over) Everything, everything it'll be alright (alright)

Hey, don't write yourself off yet
It's only in your head you feel left out
Or looked down on
Just do your best, do everything you can.
And don't you worry what the bitter hearts, are gonna say

It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride (over, and over)
Everything, everything it'll be just fine (over, and over) Everything, everything it'll be alright (alright).
It just takes some time, little girl you're in the middle of the ride (over, and over)
Everything, everything It'll be just fine (over, and over)
Everything, everything it'll be alright (alright)hang around a while”.


I've got an appitude...
The Appalachianist...
















14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appitude is better than attitude . . . I guess. I always enjoy hillbilly nerd or whatever. There is so much I don't know from nothin' and I just enjoy reading about all of it. White oak is special you can spit it easily and use it to make all kinds of things. I have a split white oak basket my step-father made before he died . . . made one for everyone of us . . . a memory from his youth and a memory of him now. Keep it alive and pass it on . . . it's important.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thats right Bill, I've got an appitude. White oak is good wood, has alot of uses. They tend to be more solid than the Red oak which has to fight the crown die back, which comes from poor ground.

Will do, Bill.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the scout rifle setup, right, with a pistol scope mounted forward? The ol' Lt Col (Jeff Cooper) would be proud of you, A.I.!

I tried that setup on one of my M-44s and just couldn't seem to get the knack of looking through a scope that far away from my eye. It might be age that's the problem. :-)

But definitely a nice setup. I like the looks of that M-14 clone, for sure.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I like the color and for a hunting dog box it's a Jim Dandy of a dog box. However, I hate dog boxes when I see them I get this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. From what I know of you I trust that you love your dogs and take mighty fine care of them, but around here the people I see using dog boxes well, let's just say how I see them treat their dogs in those dog boxes makes me very sad. It's disturbing in more ways than one. Here nor there, you are quite talented in the handy man department.

Is that the rifle from some posts back that you were talking about painting? It's looks nice, you did a job well done.

If you don't have a good attitude then I would think you wouldn't have good appitude? Maybe not, dunno.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, it is a Scout Rifle set up, you look through the scope, which is not magnified, just a red dot, with both eyes open.

That M44 would do the job, can't complain about the caliber.

Annon..I assume to be MEW, I don't know how you see people treat their dogs, but, most everyone I hunt with are good to their dogs.

Yes, that is the rifle and I do have an Appitude...

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you take care of your dogs. Now, have I missed a picture of Squeaky? Now that's a hound right out of the history of Appalachia and you are as pleased and proud of that dog as can be . . . it's in your writin' so there. Why you even like Bosco and some of the women you've dated. (I am laughin' so hard . . . I just had to do it. It was the devil that made me . . . was it from the Devil's Courthouse up on the Blue Ridge goin' toward Cherokee . . . that's the right name, right?) Randy is still workin' on a meal. Take care. Bill

8:21 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Alright, Bill, you and the devil...No, I ain't posted one of squeaky yet, Bosco is too camera shy.
The women I've dated don't want to be associated with the dogs, I'm sure.

7:20 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Never hunted bear--thanks for the primer! Maybe I'll get around today to posting where I was yesterday--did you see what App State did to Michigan?

5:09 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I don't usually keep up with it, but, I did hear. Everybody thought that was going to be the other way around.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only saw the news highlights of about the last two minutes of the Appalachia State vs Michigan but it was a game by itself. Wow . . . and a good ending too. Sometimes the mop flops your way . . . once in a great while. It is a little cooler in Columbia . . . hope it makes the training easier.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike just told me his .450 was still at Buck's but said it'd be October when it got fixed. He aims to get a pup out of the 3 we saw yesterday. Says you shoulda been riggin squeaky sunday too and that we shoulda turned loose monday. He wants me to put corn in his 2 feeders tomorrow-it'll be after dark.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bil, about the only thing I really have to say about that game is good for the under dog. Otherwise football doesn't mean that much to me. Like Tom Petty said, "even the losers get lucky sometime".

Twister, done gave us away...We spent a couple of days training dogs. With all of that being said, remember, that was discussed. I would with another good dog there, I know there are more than one bear on that creek. Next time we'll let 'em go.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you know how I felt when he kept on tellin me that after I'd done told more than twice. Howzat pup? You named it yet?

7:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Certain people come here and read comments, we're going to lose them...le'me post about the pup.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home