Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Bear Season Pep Rally


It's that time all of you poor Earthlings have been waiting for...Just a few hours to Bear Season. I'm not sure what this will mean to you. It doesn't really matter, my Bear Hunting is about me. Me entails lots of things, more than just being a Hill Billy Adrenaline Freak. I know that it fascinates you...OK maybe that is a stretch, it catches your interest, so, I may write on it. You want to read some cool Bear Hunting stuff? Read this. When your out in those woods theres no "oneness with nature" or any of that sappy stuff, it's simply primal. A pure, simple, primal beauty. It's within, not without. It doesn't make you feel sentimental, it makes you feel good. Its in your soul. It just is.

I had Drill this weekend. I drove to Columbia SC Friday night. The National Guard Center was out of rooms, so I got one at Comfort Inn. I skipped the cheaper Motel 6 because the one time I stayed there the pillows really were to be desired. OK, they sucked. Comfort Inn's weren't much better. I did have a big 'ol bed. Big enough to sleep a man and three of his favorite female celebrities. It was about a dozen yards from the train tracks though. Yes, at 0200 the train came loud whistle and all. Got up, went and took a PT Test. Yes, I passed and I could have done better than if I had wanted to. I did surprise myself on my run. Weighed in, got taped for body fat...Made it. Looked at the new people I'm in charge of, one of which thinks everything I say is hilarious...Nice guy...Hardly any of them are there. Hmm...Have to check into that.

For some reason I always reach into the drawer and pull out the same pair of PT Shorts. I've had them so long the stink is permanent. The reflective "ARMY" lettering has turned brown. I've got newer pair, but grab the same ones. Are they subconsciously my favorite pair? I don't know. It's about time for them to retire though. Why did I tell you this? It crossed my mind. I'm also hoping it made you gag.

Speaking of gagging. I'm a gagger. So the Dental Exam Lady said the other day in Charlotte. She wrote "major gagger" on my card after she repeatedly jammed the great big huge cards into my mouth in order to X Ray my teeth. She said I gag real bad. Before I went to Iraq while I was at Ft. McClellan a Puerto Rican lady narrowed her eyes on me, pointed her finger and said in her heavy accent "you have a dangerous tongue". I don't like people sticking sharp things into my gums. Actually the Charlotte Lady was real patient with me. The Puerto Rican Lady put a hex on me I think.

Jason Isbell, formerly of The Drive By Truckers, CD, Siren's of the Ditch", song, "Try". (BTW, I didn't realise it when I added the video to the post it's over seven minutes long, dial up beware)


I've said all I intend to say tonight.
The Appalachianist.

17 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I guess "I'm a major gagger" is more than we really needed to know.

By the way. You KNOW there was a second part to this comment. I re-worded it several times and then just removed it completely. Like you always say, it's a family rag. :-)

3:49 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yes Ed, I know there was a second part to that comment. I was man enough to say I'm a gagger and you were man enough to almost tease me about it. Remember you said labels are inconclusive...Hex's are not. Really, they need to do something about those uncomfortable sharp cards at least flavor them. I hate getting my teeth Xrayed anymore. I do have a response but, I'll e-mail it to you.

To say this is a family blog is a stretch. I guess it's R rated.

I really like every thing I've heard from Jason Isbell's "Sirens of the Ditch". I'm listening to "Try" on You Tube. It's also opening morning of Bear Season and I elected to work though no one would mind if I took the day off.

What the heck, I'm going to add "Try" to the post.

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, let's see where to get started...and where should I go with this..
Is this your picture you posted...cause if you look there is a womans face made from the branches and leaves.
I can only imagine what you "boys" are talking about!! ha! I have a very small mouth; I don't gag...but it takes time to get it right!
Happy Bear Season! Be safe!
hugs~

9:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, that picture is actually from a movie, I can't rememeber, it is in the picture title. I found it on a web site discussing Arch Angels. I thought it was cool.

Now, if they were to rap those cards in velvet...No, I still wouldn't like it. And, yes, me and Ed had a laugh.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You is puttin' yo army draws on backwards . . . best I can tell from the description . . . you know I had to do that . . . well, what was your time for the 2 mile, old man, excuse me near 40 man? I ran that thing until I was 57 and am now 64 and can only dream of running it . . . at least the weather has cooled . . . and hey, it does look like a woman's face in the picture . . . bet you didn't know that . . . take care.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill I ran a 16:34, the last time I ran for time was right before I got on the bird for Iraq and I ran a 15:50 something. Yes, I' 39.

I know it looks like a womans face, she's serine.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Try is my favorite on the album. Also the one about the girls a looker and dressed like a hooker and is mad at daddy 'cause he won't let her date.

Just can't warm up to Chicago Promenade though. Oh well, 10 out of 11 ain't too bad.

Did he quit DBT or is it just a side project?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I l"Brand New Kind Of Waitress" and "Dress Blues". That is all that I have heard.

He did leave the Truckers, Shonna, his Bride stayed with the Truckers though.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I meant to say I like "Try"...

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it with dental techs making judgements and classifying folks into some dental sub-category?

A few years back I had one tell me that I had very active saliva glands. I thanked her. She didn't reply, just nodded. Then later, pondering on it, I thought, "Maybe she didn't mean that as a compliment."

I asked the next visit. It was a compliment, says she. Maybe being a major gagger was a compliment, also?

Did you ever have this one happen to you while they was cleaning your teeth?

Dental tech (as she's picking away): "Oh!..... I see we had popcorn last night!"

You grin kind of self-consciously and nod your head "Yes" cause you don't have the heart to tell you that the last time you had popcorn was 3 days ago! :-(

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It should have read "...to tell HER that the last time you had popcorn was 3 days ago!"

9:14 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No, Gunner, I've not had that one happen to me. I don't eat pop corn that much.
Maybe it was a compliment. "Wow, SFC Wilson, your so feircly independant you don't let anyone stuff cards in your mouth." At Ft. McClellan the dentist said I had "great, wonderful teeth", which meant in other words, your teeth aren't stopping you from going to Iraq.

We had a 58 year old man brought in from American Somoa. They pulled 20 something teeth from his head and sent him to Iraq.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

A.I., Janie and I would like to hear more about your dangerous tongue. :-) And bear hunting stories are all right, especially if they are with a picture of your boots.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I think if that Puerto Riccan Lady had a clothes pin she would have clipped my tongue to my upper lip.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwww man, this dental stuff is . . . er, well, I see you had popcorn last night, and . . . er two Snicker's bars, three bags of potato chips, and four ears of corn . . . well, I think the beer was Black Label . . . do they still make that stuff . . . sorry all, if I write about those darned x-ray cards I will gag writing about them. Ain't dentists fun? (There is a joke about the drunk who called a cab and asked the cab driver if his cab could hold all of the above . . . tell it later.) Go get dem bears . . . .

6:48 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, all I know right now is Twister left a 7 minute hunting story on my answering machine.

(Sally did good)

7:01 PM  
Blogger JohnStanleysMom said...

Murph~always is a pleasure those boots!(as long as he's in "em!!)

I want a picture of boots,man and pups! ( :

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home