Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Monday


I’m done with that bohemian crap for now. Due to a series of miscalculations… And out dated information, I buried Star about dusk. Parvo again. She had been vaccinated, but unfortunately, too early. See, pups are immune through the mothers milk until six weeks of age. At six weeks they get the shot, then another two weeks later and four weeks up until sixteen weeks of age. Some of this information I got from my Ex’s Step Daddy who’s a big Coon Hunter, which correlates with what I found on line. I had taken star over the mountain to Tennessee with me Friday night and she started showing symptoms Saturday on the way back. Sunday she just layed around, I took her scouting with me, she walked nearly a mile. Monday it was clear. I took her to work with me feeding her Muscle Milk in a squirt bottle every half hour. I would have told you she was going to make it. I got up and fed her at 2 in the morning, she’s still hanging in there…At 0600, she was un responsive. I was told she died about 0900.
When it was discovered that the last litter had parvo…He had been given the mama dog, which had it, the boy was out of town. Another guy went and gave the new litter shots, but he did at three weeks of age. I had it mixed up. My Ex’s Step Daddy, Gary, reminded me to shoot her up but to was too late. She was at six weeks when I got her, she was no longer immune despite the shot. She could have gotten it anywhere’s from where she came from to Mikes with his youngest daughter handing her up to me to here. I’m thinking here, somewhere I didn’t kill it.

Yeah, it sucks, but I’m trying to take it in stride. I don’t know how Mikes pups are doing today. As soon as I told him he sent one of his girls out for shots. He had dealt with it before with his daddy’s dogs. Bohemian Like You is on the radio, I can’t escape Bohemianism.

I’m getting a new dog already, Bell, a Blue Tick bitch about 14 months old. Gary has not been able to hunt her much, and she’s to “mouthy” for him. He has six dogs but the way he hunts he only hunts a couple at a time. So, he’s given her to me. He say’s she tree’s, hates a coon, but she will need to be worked. So, I’ll see what I can do with her.

Now for the funny part is, I thought I left my wallet at home. I turned the place upside down twice. I went back to work at 2000hrs dumpster diving to make sure I had not put it in the trash. I found a 12Gauge 3 ½ “ magnum, a bandless Swiss Army watch and Tomcatkittens perfume in my couch. I thought I gave that back to her? My Mother calls…She had grim news, which I’ll touch later. I told her I’m looking for my wallet. “Well, your house must be getting cluttered”…This is not the time and place…nor hers…I got short with her. My Military ID, Drivers Licenses, Debit Card, Hunting Licenses, my Ranger Coin…How could I lose it. I had to borrow $20 from a coworker for gas. I’ve got Drill this weekend and I need that stuff. This morning it dawned on me, I had emptied my pockets at the scale at work to weigh myself. There it was laying on a pallet at work. I had to laugh…I’m in such a habit of placing it in the right place in the mornings…

Grim news…My Cousins Husband passed from Liver cancer. His liver shut down yesterday and he passed just before midnight. Jerry was always smiling and often singing. He was a True Christian and an Independent Thinker. As a teenager, I had recommitted to Christ*, and he informed me that there would be no more coincides in my life…He was right. Through him it was set in me to realize that God was a God of Love, though it took me years to realize he was not a God of anger. Through the summer Jerry was in allot of pain, yet, he was just as pleasant and nice to people. He understood the white wash of politics, he knew that everyone from the County to the Federal Government was pouring water down our backs, and, talked about it with a smile. Once at a family get together, I don’t remember what over, he said “Tamaetoe, tahmahtoe…Which is it?” The jest being just because you slap a label on something doesn’t mean it’s different if not in principle. Jerry Gunter was a man of principle, and he’s on the other side of that white light smiling and singing.



* In my more mature hind sight, I realize I was just not acting like I thought I should. There was no real faultier in my faith.

Fun Alabama Style


It's cool
The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sorry for your loss. both your family and star..i am glad your faith never faltered, may you continue to grow in a beautiful direction. allowing God to clear your path. heaven will not be devided into denominations, or associations of job, race,or politics. it will be the the harmoney of all God's children. and the harmoney of perfect love.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, thank you. That's the way it ought to be.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also sorry to hear that, A.I.

Being a believer he has the promise of John 20

And for the little pup, of course. I hate to see that happened.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, thank you. I really like that link. That's a cool resource.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

I can feel w/ you, not for you. I lost two of mine Wed of last week. And I lost my dad to bldr cancer.

Like you I am fortunate to have my faith. And the joy in knowing my dad, nor my dogs are in pain is a blessing and ajoy that is undescribeable. And memories, such wonderful memories.

I like the link to! You ahve such great freinds, I am always learning something here, and its awesome when an ol fart can learn :-)

Hugs to You.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

Maybe I should learn to spell, before I hit send :-)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Looks like the typo monster got you too, Sparkel. It happens to me pretty often. I'm sorry about all of that, and yes, I've got some cool folks that drop in. I've got my reasons to be thankful.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the pup and your family member.
Thinking of you.
hugs~

8:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Janie, really, I appreciate it from everyone.

So? How did yun's like the video? I thought the astraunot guy was pretty cool.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Sounds like North Carolina is in dire need of vets.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well. the guy took off the helmut,cause I saw it laying down...but didn't or couldn't see his face. Sure was hard seeing that piano get destroyed.... Probably cause I associate piano music and the look of that one with growing up. I had a few cringes.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, no comment. I know to people that had to go to court this summer for practicing veteranry medacine without a license.

Janie, I like the part where that shot it. The kids and dogs were cool too.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home