Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Notes

I found the movie the picture below is from, Premonition starring the lovely Sandra Bullock. I knew there was a familiar beauty about that face. So now we all know.

I've got the new dog in place. That girl is one fast eater. I've got pictures, I'll tell you about her later.

Tomorrow is the 17th of October, it will be a year since I left Taji to come home on leave. Honestly, right now, if it wasn't for Hunting Season I'd just assume go back. Maybe not Taji though. And honestly, and probably cruelly in some of your eyes, I have little sympathy for the Iraqis as a whole. So, honestly, on the other hand, I'd assume not go back. I was left off of Reserves Sunday afternoon so I could attend my Cousin's Husbands Memorial Service, where I met a Lady who's son is on Taji.

Nearly a year ago, I caught something in the Iraqi night sky...Shooting stars. Before I could formulate a wish the Iraqis we're telling me something I had to devote my attention to. One night last week I saw a shooting star, and then another Saturday morning as I waited for the PT Test to begin. No distractions, I made my wish. Both twice. Pray for rain until it rains...Those of us south of the Mason Dixon Line ain't praying hard enough.

I went Squirrel Hunting after work today. I had been told there was a good acorn crop in there, and there was sign of them. In a similar type of area terrain wise I found plenty last Sunday evening. Star was with me and she followed me around. Poor Pup. When I had heard tell of the late freeze here this last spring (I was in Iraq) I was worried about the acorns. I'm noting where I see them and whee I don't. I may discuss it with you one day soon.

I did see one Squirrel. I had heard him barking and circled around behind it. Once I got in place it hushed, then reappeared. Yet, there was too much foilage and it was moving too much for me to shoot. I took my Remington Model 29 12 Gauge, which has an 18" barrel, so I get up close with it. I could opt for a further reaching gun, but, I took slugs along just in case I encountered something bigger in season, hint, Bear or Hog. I like Hunting them when there are leaves on the tree's. I stepped in the creek and felt the moisture against my foot. It went through the leather, but not the gortex. It's time to put the Bear Oil to them again.

My cell phone is malfunctioning again. It fell in the water two weeks ago...OK, a toilet. A clean one though. It went crazy, worked...Kinda, Started working right again last weekend and now is working kinda. It won't display anything on the screen.
The insurance people before said it was an invalid number, then it worked. Looks like I have to wrestle them again.

The inevitable happened last week. My Step Son, now 18, called. He talked to an Army recruiter. Which fed him some bull. But, he didn't mention me to the recruiter, smart boy. He called me Sunday, and wanted to talk to me Monday night. Then called me Monday morning to say he decided "not to enlist for now." He cited his young family, which was smart.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day, and I'm really looking forward to Friday.
Go ahead, say what you'll have to say.
The Appalachainist

8 Comments:

Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I have a collection of squirrels feeding in pecan tree in the backyard of my old house. Of course, if you tried to shoot them, somebody would come along and lock you up.

10:32 PM  
Blogger JohnStanleysMom said...

If you did go back...what area would you like to work or be in? Just curious.

I love all the shooting stars in August-Nov(meteor showers) I so do love to wish on stars! ( :

My squirrels are citified...but come on get 'em!! Of course, the law would have some words about that.

I have had the pleasure(really) speaking to a few Recruiter's who have called a young man in this household. They push their sell...but I have not had any problem with what has transpired.

A good friend/Soldier who is now here in Wa State as a Recruiter told me, "The guys at the office complain that this is so hard...These guys haven't been to Iraq...I've done 2 tours in Iraq (Infantry)...now That was hard."

hugs~

11:50 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Three Score I would dare say that would be Pecan flavored Squirrel and Dumplings.

Janie, I don't know, if so not the same hole in the earth.

Recruiters do have it tough, but, he flat out told him something that wasn't so. With all of this Army Values stuff that get's preached, if someone doesn't have the base values before they get there, there was no excuse for that.
But in fairness, I didn't hear the comment and it could have been taken out of context due to wishful thinking. None the less, I set him straight on it.

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talked to SM Suberling last night and told him about the supper at Golden Corral. He leaves active service in December. Started to read your posting until I got to the prayer part and I just stopped. I sometimes feel I am not praying hard enough for rain or anything else. When I hear about someone's son's going somewhere it just stops me cold. No, I am not anti-army or George Bush or war or America. It just concerns, and I think there is someono else I must pray for, and yes, I do go to church, and God, I hope it rains, and I read a good huntin' story on this post. Take care. Bill

11:21 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

One of you saint's must have prayed for my cell phone because it's working right again. It shut itself off, I turned it on and well, it diplayed again.

Bill, CSM Suberling is a good man, it was good to serve under him.

Bill, I read your comment on my Dinner Break and pondered it. I think, I feel, yes, we should pray hard, if not smart, and then, we should seed the clouds as well. God helps those who help themselves.

it's a joke about the sain'ts, God ansewres sinners prayers as well.

Looks like rain now, pray. I saw Lake Hartwell the ohter day down at Clemson, it looked pitiful.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Model 29? That's an heirloom, A.I. I think they quit making that model before WWII. I think you've mentioned that particular gun before,... I think. Your Dad's? or sumtin' like that.

My 18" is a Mossberg 500 with an aftermarket bbl and loaded with No. 4 buckshot. It stays under the bed in one of those gun-sacks.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, from the serial number we believe it was made around 1930. It has "Trap Grade" on the bbl. No, it's not a family gun, I bought it off of a friend that had gotten it in a police auction. The story doesn't end there. It had been stolen out of a store that used to be down town (Buttholeville, AKA Brevard NC)that belonged to a fellar named Mikey Ayers. The thief had cut the bbl to 19" and sawed the stock off. my friend had recrowned it at 18", had it threaded for a Remington choke. It was a very fine Shot Gun at one time.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about CSM Suberling. About God helping those who help themselves . . . well, pretty much, and sometimes all you can do is pray especially for others if not yourself. Yeah, someone should seed the clouds . . . I wonder if the lack of rain has stopped the "smoak" in the Smoakies . . . those clouds of water vapor working their way skyward that gave name to the place. It is so dry. It makes me wonder. It ruined my garden. I just gave it up . . . forgot to water the Forgetmenots even. If it keeps up killin' a bear during hunting season might be considered a mercy killin'. It is that dry.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home