Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, November 05, 2007

It Is Good.

Wile I was back at Taji word was out of a big reorganization of my Division. The 108th Division took control of all the other USAR Training Divisions. The 9th Division of New York State was being moved south, and my battalion, the 3/321’st was handed over to the 2nd brigade 98th Div, the “Iroquois Division” at the beginning of the fiscal year.

My unit is at the edge of Ft. Jackson SC, three and a half hours from my house. To make a long story short, five of us left a deactivating unit to be there. Through retirements and deployments we dwindled. I had become dissatisfied with it, and the traveling. While in Charlotte I was approached by a Captain new during the Train Up for Iraq about going to his company, B, 3/323 in Clemson SC, a Drill Sgt Unit.. I was once the Training NCO of the company. The unit had been Mobilized State Side a year ago and many of its members were promoted and transferred out. They were rebuilding the Company. I told myself I was going to find something new after I got back from overseas. It was one of several changes I wanted.

This weekend as I drove back from Columbia, I had a signed DA Form 4651-R by my Bn Commander. He wasn’t blocking my transfer. He’s a good man, and him and the CSM didn’t blame me. I’m going back on “The Trail” after being off of it 13 years. The Bn was being considered for a State Side MOB after the first of the year, but was passed over this weekend.

Recently, since I’ve come back from Iraq it’s been increasingly hard to find a place to stay at Ft. Jackson. Between gas and rooms, I spent nearly half of my take home drill pay*. If that’s not reason for a transfer then what? But, I do look forward to going back to B 3/323. It’s fun to build a company up. It’s a challenge, and people get tight. It gives you a sense of purpose. It’s a chance to cut out bull shit. I knew the CO and 1Sg from before and they have a no silly shit attitude. I appreciate that.

I’ll be taking a platoon there, probably 3rd. I’ve always been in the 3rd of something. 3rd Bn, 3rd Plt 3rd squad. As well, usually Bravo Co. I have been in a HHC, Alpha, and a Delta Company.

I felt bad this weekend that my Dogs, Squeaky and Bell (No, not belle ,look “bell” up in your dictionary) couldn’t hunt. Bosco, being a Yard Varmint…This morning half her snout as covered in dirt…does her usual. Bears are getting scattered out and harder to run. I’ve not gotten the dogs into a good race yet, only getting to hunt them two days. I am taking Veterans Day off to hunt. I got a raise when I went back to work, but didn’t get vacation. I’m not entitled to it. To just not work would be irresponsible.

Tomorrow I have to fast. I have a Annual Physical (Army Business) Wednesday and they don’t want me eating. I’ve not been that hungry lately no way.


*End Slavery! Contact your congressmen about voting the Fair Tax in.

This is about all I intend to say tonight.
The Appalchinaist...Making the South East safe for Appalachiaism.

9 Comments:

Blogger 1776 said...

Hey App,
Sorry the dogs couldn't get out and about, know they missed that. You can make it up to them this weekend.

Congrats on being on the inside of starting up a new company...I am all for cutting through the bullshit. I have no doubt you will be perfect for the job. 3's are good. I just finished reading We Were One, a Marine unit that started from scratch and got tight...an amazing group of America's finest. I hope you will keep us informed on how the platoon unfolds. I am sure it will be interesting. It's getting harder by the day to keep up w/units and BN's cuz they keep re-arranging themselves. What is up w/that?

Unreal that you have to pay for a hotel...where are the hooches? And no vacation at work? If I were a boss I would give my Veterans extra paid vacation, but that is just me. Excellent though you are taking Veterans Day off. Have fun in the hills w/the dogs.

You were correct Seattle is a good big city to visit, action packed vacation. I did see the mountain from the air and the ground. It's something else, magnificent. Lots of dry cleaners and bohemians in Seattle...they have their very own troll, do Appalachian bohemians have their own troll? Best part was the ferry and Chinooks fish and chips...better than sex. We met us some mighty fine Soldiers too! Now I am back in the south and grateful you are here for Appalachiaism and us.
Mew

11:28 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mew, did you notice there are lots of bright and neon signs there too?

There was some barracks we could stay in at first, but Ft. Jackson took them back about the time we arrived.

My Boss is a Veitnem Vet, he looks at it as fairness. It is. Something that disturbs me is the "us/them" concept here in America. That is what that would be. While it is a reason for relating with one another, it's not to cross the fine line of privledge. I did get a choice Holiday though, which was kind, so, I'll hunt Vet's Day.

I didn't catch the added comments on "Normal Again" until this morning. So, let me go check them out.

7:47 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Yes, I did see lots of neon signs, also was amazed by all the containers in the seaport. They were endless. The town has no handicap parking that annoyed the daylights out of me. At the space needle everyone has to have their photo taken before entering, I thought that was interesting.

Us/them...a Soldier/Marine is willing to die for me, civlians aren't. If that doesn't make someone special I don't know what does. Every time I meet a military service member in uniform that is what I think about when I look at their eyes. Your boss held your job for you and gave you a raise so that is cool, not everyone is so lucky. As long as you got a good holiday that is all I care about. You earned and deserve it.

Glad you are taking Veterans Day off for you and the dogs. I hope you get a bear and the dogs have a field day.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bosco, the yard varmit. I like that. :-)

Good luck with the new unit and just looking quick-like at a Google map it appears Clemson will definitely be a quicker drive for you than Ft Jackson and fuel being over $3 a gallon that's no small inducement!

Along with that fair tax lets tell 'em to drill in ANWR - now!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am trying to get out of the house this morning and reading the Appalacian Patria at the same time . . . an I am really enjoying the comments. What an adventure . . . the new unit got a good one . . . good luck . . . your comments made sense to me . . . sometimes going back to work can keep us . . . well, going back to work . . . it is a gift to us . . . not to bemoan a little R and R . . . I am looking up "Bell" and I cannot (but must) wait for the next hunt. A big "Yahoo" and take care . . . the adventures of the Appalachianist are great and I even feel a little protected down here in the foothills a little bit as long as I don't go on the Interstates. Take care.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey Youl. I'm a day behind.

Mew, there is no "dieing" for someone about it. Risking? Yes, the word fits better. But, it's not a duty bound this one is for the folks back home kind of thing. Ordinay people will rush into a burning house to save a baby. People of all walks of life have charector and people from all walks of life don't. Military life can be a hastle. It can be rewarding, it's really both.

Gunner, that's what Boco is. A yard Varmint. Tried and True.

We have amazing technology today, not to worship it, it can be so over rated. But, I beleive we should have a great ability to safely drill in ANWR. It would lessen our interst in the Mid East, which would be a pay off.
Yes, Clemson is allot easier, an hour and fifteen minutes max.

Annon, thanks hope you got to work OK. The Interstate is the devil.

Time for me to get gone.

12:53 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

App Gun Trash I got my AL Mag today! Thank You very much:) A nice surprise to get in the mail, made my day. I appreciate your follow up.

App we just gonna have to agree to disagree on the service member and civilian thing.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Alright, Mew, we can agree to disagree. I appreciate everything you ever done though. Especially Deliverance. LOL

7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UR welcome, Mew.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home