Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Video Friday V, Living for more

Those of us from the Mountains can read between the lines on this one. Appalachian Bohemes.

They were only searching for more.

We were meant to live so much more...

Switch Foot.

OK, work time
The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger 1776 said...

Good videos today App. Ya don't have to be from Applachia to get the first one, our great little town here in the 'Ville is the same as it is there. Everyone moves here for the lifestyle and the influx has changed it so much that it is no longer what the people move here for. All the beauty is slowly being taken away. Some days I feel the land's sadness and sorrow.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

I didn't know Keith Richards had a little brother.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I went up to the supper at the Golden Coral in/at Hendersonville, I meant to wear my Cruso cap. I saw in a USA advertisement that hundred thousand dollar lots were being sold betwen Cruso and Waynesville as building lots for million dollar houses. They ought to have lots set aside for local folks. Who can afford 100 to 300 thousand dollar lots. You ought to have certain mountain skills before you can buy a lot like that even if you have the money. It is just mind boggling the changes going on. It ain't all good.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

"...hoping that he's meant for more than arguments and failed attempts to fly." That is actually quite eloquent. I had never listened to Switchfoot before.

I think the first song could have used a few guitars or drums or something.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

OT - gave a friend a link to your site, to pass on to a soldier who has been home less than 2 weeks. Having a rough go. Hes in TN, small town. I know this blog will help him in some small way. Thks.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, and getting normal again ought to be required reading, Sparkel. Good going, I just hope the Appalachianist knows how much people (me) enjoy reading about the mountains and comin' home even if I manage to say "flatlander" stuff from time to time.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

LOL Bill - I enjoy reading this site and ya'lls responses. I truly learn alot. I remember the VN war (I am 51), but more importantly in my mind is I am STILL seeing the effects on everyone around.

I am a Yankee born and bred, who lives in the south cause I married a southern boy....so Mtn, Flatland, most of it is Greek, sometimes I have to go online and look things up to learn what ya'll talk'n bout! LOL

Ya all are absolutely great, and the Appalachinest
is awesome, inspiring, funny and incredibly honest.

Gives me hope for America yet.

Ya all ROCK!

(all typos are mine LOL )

2:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I know the first vid wasn't all that musical.

I think not everyone is getting the "Appalachain Bohemes". They did not bring suburbia with them. If anything they brought new genes for the pool. Oddly as to how they did, they tried to settle in and become part of the community. "The Locals" wasn't too sure of them. But through heart, and compassion, they seen something in them and helped them out.

I got up Friday morning and they were playing Switch Foot, and the DJ's were debating if they were a Christian band or not. I thought about the lyrics, I like the context of them. So, I put it together.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

You said you were a Yankee, Sparkel? That took courage. Kust kidding.
Thank You. I am again humbled. I just hope I'm not funny when I'm trying to be serious.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sparkel is a . . . a . . . a . . . Yankee? Oh! My! It's probably better than being a "flatlander" in the scheme of things past and present. Well, everytime I post I am making a mental trip up US 276 to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have seen deer and turkey and woodchucks and possums and chipmumks and squirrels and birds and trout but no bears 'cept at Cades Cove over the Smoakies south toward Gatlinburg and lots of color in the leaves this time of year.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home