Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bear Hunting is Gung Ho, Part I

Oooh…With a name like Zilda, she has to be good…

To let you heathens know, Bear Hunting is not the same as other Hunting. It’s not often done alone, it’s done in groups. It’s a networking thing. It’s everyone chipping in. It’s everyone working together. Mind you, this is Hunting with Dogs. If you don’t have Dogs, you better have a back. It’s also desired to be trustworthy and a Man about things. It’s also hard to get into a good group of Bear Hunters. The best way to meet Bear Hunters is to Bear Hunt.

Saturday started Thursday night when I called a fellar I had only heard of and asked if me and Twister could go hunting with him, something almost unheard of. We talked for a few, and he said to call him the next night. Friday night he told me when and where to meet them. It was a polite thing, but we had to show we had something to bring to the plate. We weren’t there to tag along we were there to Hunt. It was a big group, about a dozen or so, among us we had a little over thirty Dogs. The ice broke after a little and everything was OK. Everyone was good folk. Two of the boys were from Jackson County and had Hunted with Twister and the other boys I hunted with from Macon before. One had been present the day Twister killed his Bear over on Burning Town. I mentioned I had one of Jimmy C’s Dogs, and was mine now. The boy asked if it was Squeaky. It’s a small world amongst Men ad Dogs.

My contact pulled up in an old Toyota pick up converted into a flat bed with a home made box on the back. Ideal for Bear Hunting. He had about a dozen Dogs, Walkers and mixed breeds. It was a funny sight, but everyone of those dogs were getting along. We’ll call it the Twelve Piece Box. One of his Dogs caught the eye. He said she was part Kemmer Cur and Walker, she wasn’t much bigger than a Fiest. It was said she had ran a Bear from th head of Cathey’s Creek almost into Brevard before and was on it’s heels all the way.

We hunted both Jackson and Transylvania County. This time I managed to get Squeaky off the lead at least. It had gotten late in he day, about noon, a track was going to be hard to get. It was dry and the warmest of the day. We let the Twelve Piece Box loose along with my two running up a creek to let them strike a track on their own. And, they did.
On the other side of the dividing ridge behind us the Law was out searching for someone missing since the 20th of October with Cadaver Dogs. I’m glad the race didn’t head that way. It wasn’t too clear what happened, but the dogs were on a Bear, and the race broke. We didn’t get the Bear. It’s a little harder than the early part of the season, they are getting spread out. It was hasty, and if we had had time to get off in that country with the Dogs, than we may have gotten the Bear. None the less, the fellar with the Twelve Piece Box seemed to run things and he was thinking ahead of the Bear. He was a good fellar and we liked him.

Allot came from the day. This is just part of it.
The Appalachianist

4 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

That's good that you made nice with Fellar. Now he may invite you in the future rather than you having to beg and plead to join them.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

There wasn't no begging and pleading to it. Just being straight up and ploite.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

This was just in the nearby "big city" newspaper here in northeast kentucky - Running Kentucky's Bears

9:37 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hmm, I didn't know Kentucky was without a season. think leaving it to the "experts" wouldn't be beneficial, but, hey, it's your state.
It's as one Forest Service Employee told me about hogs in the Smoakies, the men there to work on the problem want to keep their jobs.
We "non experts" run Bear well enough in neighboring states. It doesn't cost the tax payer either.
Thanks Gunner. Time to scratch out PtII

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home