Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Video Friday VII, Drive By Truckers

First, it's a long one, 7 minutes. But, if you have the connection and you have the time, listen. You've seen me qoute this song as recently as the last post. When you live in a Cartoon Town with a bunch of Cartoon Charectors, you laugh and you grinn. This towns alright with me there's nowhere I'd rather be.

BTW, I used to live in SC and went to school with the drummer.

Buttholeville is coming.
The Appalachianist

10 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Thanks for that bit of cowpunk there, A.I. I suppose if they ever added a a fiddle or dobro it'd be called punkgrass or sumtin' like that.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

What I have always liked about this band is that they don't pose as southerners and don't try to makke southern rock.

They are southern in both their concerns and in their sensibilities and it shows in their lyrics. Their lyrics, I believe, are deceptively simple and it is easy to miss how observant and spot on they actually are. (Sorry, I sound like a professor or something)

Songs like NEVER GONNA CHANGE, COTTON SEEDS, PUTTING PEOPLE ON THE MOON are dark, foreboding, and about as true to the Alabama backwoods mentality as I imagine you can get.

Plus, I love it when they crank up the guitars and rock.

But what do I know? I posted John Prine Viet Nam era anti-war songs today. They don't rock, they just protest.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, they've done it. Oh, but have you heard of Hayseed Dixie? Oh, yeah.

Ed, you are so right. For all the sunshine, the South can be a forebodingly dark place. To not say of it would be denial, if not a lie. They speak for allot more than Alabama.

When I get around to a better connection, I'll check the post.

I had a good Saturday.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to pass on the video until I read all the comments on the posting, and then, I had to listen. It was great . . . just listening and watching a group of "younguns" having a good time. You all are right about the South . . . may it always be so because it is about life and love and loss. It is just the way it is. For some reason I'm visiting Cades Cove in my mind and thinking about the readings on the graves there and the beginning of things in the video . . . I had to laugh and enjoy the young couple's reaction . . . there are times when everything is just great, and I got enough sense not to use Buttholeville to refer to someone else's town, and besides I like Brevard. I have even eaten at the Huddle House and lived to eat there again.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I know, "ain't you supposed to be hunting today?" I decided to postpone until Friday. We had a good day Satruday though.

Yes, I call my home town, Brevard NC, Buttholeville, partly for fun, and partly because there are plenty of assholes here. I didn't have to come back here, I came back on my own free will. It's more than my home town, it's where my soul is the happiest.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

So...what does it say about your soul that it finds happiness with assholes? ;-)

Happy Veteran's Day, AI.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

LOL, I'm not sure, Maybe that is for God to decide.
Thank You.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Murf, I was the anonymous who said he had survived the Huddle House. I am proud of Brevard. Don't be confusin' my buddy by askin' him those hight fullutin philosophical questions . . . like how does it or what does it say . . . I can't even get it right . . . I hate smart people and then to end it with a :) smiley face is just awful deep . . . please excuse me I am laughin' so hard . . . I hate those kind of questions . . . the boy is tring to tell you somethin' and you is pickin' at 'em . . . let them dogs howl Appalachian Patria . . . and so is Murf. I enjoyed the video . . . like I said . . . ain't people nice when they are happy. Bill

10:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, there's good folks down at the Huddle House. I can walk in there on a Sunday morning and they call me by name.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Bill - Technically it was a winky smiley face and AI is quite use to my picking on him after all these years. He wouldn't know what to do if I was nothing but soft and sweet with him. :-)

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home