Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Post In Progress

There was a Buzzard on my drive way this morning sitting on an overhanging limb. Bosco, the ever faithful giude dog, guideing me down the drive way didn't see it I think. She smelled something and came to a sudden stop. The Buzzard flew on to another limb.

It was that first weekend of October that I went over to Tennessee. I saw a Red Wolf on the way over, just the other side of New Found Gap. It stood in a pull over and the head lights caught it.

I saw a Dog being lead by a girl through town on Halloween day. There was somethng about it. I asked the two girls about it and what I thought was true. The dog was half Coyote. It had the body of a Coyote and the face of a sheppard and a reddish blond color. She said she was very good natured though. The girls were really nice about our enquireies.

While off in Coweeta a couple of wekends ago we heard a pack of Coyotes yelping about midday. The Hounds and Curs looked around, but, didn't pay much more mind.

Coyotes were in my yard Labor Day weekend. Twisters brother, Jamie, killed a Coyote this last weekend. Nice one.

Alright, post in progress
The Appalachianist

8 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

I don't think I could identify a coyote.

A friend got hit in the face by a turkey buzzard once while riding her motorcycle out in the boonies. The image of that never fails to make me chuckle.

8:25 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I have seen a few coyotes around here in south Georgia. Unfortunately you rarely if ever hear them calling around here. I'm not sure why.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hmm. Well, I hope she didn't catc the claws. That would smart.

It's probably a packing thing on the Coyotes. Around my house, I've only heard lone howls.

10:08 AM  
Blogger A.G.T. said...

A few years back we bought some acreage out in the county with a long range thought of building out there (3 acres were actually level!)

We'd go out and clear and cut weeds on the bottom when we had the chance and things were going hunkey-dorey until Mrs Gun Trash saw what she thought was the scruffiest dog she ever saw walk across the clearing about 50 yds or so from where we were sitting, taking a break. I told her No, dear.. that was a coyote.

Well, that was the end of that. She said she wasn't moving out there with her cats, no way!

At least we made a profit on it. A dentist bought the acreage and built a big, big brick home on the bottom we had cleared.

I guess it wasn't meant to be, me being a country squire and all.

Also, after that episode I thought it best not to tell her that on the county airport, a long stones throw behind us here in our little town of 1200, coyotes had been spotted. :-)

12:52 PM  
Blogger A.G.T. said...

Geez.. I didn't mean to be so windy. Need to do that preview thing first, I guess.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Over New Found Gap . . . you went the road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg . . . I guess it's the only way to get to New Found Gap . . . it is wild enough around there for a coyote or two or half-a-million. In New Jersey my sister (from Winnsboro and Fort Lawn, South Carolina) has turkey buzzards (from New Jersey) roosting in her back yard in scores. We bought an owl statue and they left when they saw it only to return when they realized it was fake.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Buzzards in a group are strangely amazing. Actually a little scary. When I lived in South Florida, on a canal, the bridge was being repaired. This created debris that fell into the canal and we ended up with a ton of dead fish. I came home from work one day and there must have been a hundred Buzzards spread around the common grounds/water. It was some sight!
Have a great week.
~xo
Lee Ann

5:26 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ha Ha, Gunner, that was a little windy for you. I don't mind though. Thanks, Interesting.

Bill, that's 441, the same one Tom Petty sings about in "American Girl". Didn't touch Gatlinburg, sad tourist mecca, it was Townsend. Yes, we did go to Cades Cove...Which, is nice, but not as big as a deal to me.

Lee Ann, thanks for stopping in. I suppose those fish smelled awful as well...

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home