Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Post Deer Season Post


The Sun rise reflecting against Sam's Knob, Pisgah Game Lands, Pisgah National Forest, Haywood County NC.

If I was to go into detail of my Deer Season, I’d put you to sleep. Other than running into that one Skunk, it was pretty uneventful. I did not see one Deer. Hold on, I did catch a glimpse of one Saturday morning in the head lights.
I was to meet my partner, Ray, at the Pisgah Fish Hatchery at 0500…I was a few minutes late…He changed his mind once I got there, he wanted to head up to the Grave Yard Fields* and Shining Rock Country. That is the highest of the Balsam Range. Like about any part of the country here, it was once logged over and trees grew back, but, back sometimes in the 40’s or 50’s it fell to a wild fire. The result was a higher altitude savanna. Some areas were “bald” already, but it opened it up. Hunting there is long range shooting. We got there about 10 years too late. It was once covered in Deer, now they are very scarce. We did not see one Deer, where you can see hundreds of yards.

The last day of season is “Doe day”, the one day you can shoot a doe. But it has gotten so scarce of deer here I decided not to shoot a Doe if I seen one. It’s illegal to shoot one in the Shining Rock area anymore. Traditionally, Doe day is a bad day, it’s pouring rain, howling wind, driving sleet…It was down right warm this year. It was 45 degrees at 0630 at the Grave Yard Fields. The wind was fierce. We sent a few hours “glassing” Sixteen Canyon and moved on. We did see a black Coyote above Balsam Grove.

I was unable to hunt last Saturday because I found myself in Columbia SC for the day. It was to be my last Drill there. Long story. But, it never fails, I lose a Saturday of Deer season to the Army Reserves. Being that I returned from Iraq, I did not get vacation to use for Hunting. I’m doomed to Saturdays, unless I want to take a day without pay, and that would be irresponsible.

Sadly at one time about any where you went on the Government Land, you stood a reasonable chance of seeing a Deer. The deer population has been in steady decline for some years. Henderson County was hit by “black tongue” this year. I do know someone that manage to kill four in Mills River.
There is much speculation as to why this has been occurring. It has been blamed on the migration of Coyotes, but, I reject that. I know of places, Alabama for instance, where there are way many more Deer and Coyotes together. There is not that strong of a coyote population here anyway. Macon county has more Deer and Coyotes, you hear Coyotes pack there, but, extremely rarely here in Transylvania. There is the argument of food source, in the Shining Rock Country (Haywood County), food sources have remained pretty constant**, you very rarely see a Deer there. Word is, that that Country had a great deal of Bear in it this year. Anymore it’s smothered in hikers. That doesn’t affect it either, other than sometimes being uncooperative to Hunters.
Why this is so, I can’t exactly say. Other than to make guesses at it, what is needed is real hard data. Of course, more food sources could help, but there appears to more to the picture.
Nature follows cycles…

Season is always better when it opens on the fourth week o November. It opened on the third week this year. I see more sign of rutting Deer after deer season than I do during. Sometimes around the first of the year, a time when the rutt is getting in swing in Alabama.
My partners had more events than me, mostly with other people. Ray ran into some Mexicans doing “drives” and drinking beer. Twister had someone try to tell him to go hunt some where else…On Public Land. Funny enough, they were blocking a Forest Service gate and after he reminded them that they can’t block a gate, they changed their tune. He also saw a Dog running a Deer. Dogging deer is illegal in this part of NC. It is legal…and a method, Down East.

Monday reopens Bear Season. It gets harder in the second season. The smart and mean Bears are the ones left.***. It wasn’t a good year, just have to accept that….and work on the next.

I keep my dog food in an outbuilding, where I have a radio. I turn the radio on while I feed the dogs. Friday night The dandy Warhol's "Bohemian Like You" was playing..the part where he says whoo hoo hoo, Bell howled. It was really cool..I danced...Uhm, you had to be there. I was feeling pretty bohemian, the dogs were feeling pretty bohemian...It was cool. Feeding the dogs, "just a casual casual easy thing". I really like the uncensored video to that song, but that would get me in MilBlogger jail. You can find it on YouTube.

* Called so because the burned tree trunks had bleached white and it looked like a Grave Yard.

**To remain a savanna it could stand to be burned. The Balds are getting grown up and could burn.

***Bears can have very large ranges, unlike deer, they do not stay in one general area. Bears being killed, dieing, opens territory to Bears, that are constantly looking for food.

OK, your turn...
The Appalachianist

17 Comments:

Blogger 1776 said...

well App, sorry your season wasn't quite what you hoped...but you did get to go out and play, so that is a good thing. We have deer right here in the city where I live. Perhaps they should be transported there because I think it's sad people have taken over their living environment. My guess is they would like the hills there better where there is no traffic to worry about. Thank God no one goes around deer hunting in the city. I am waiting for the day though. It wouldn't surprise me.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, sorry to hear you didn't see much deer or get one. But, you got out in the mountains and that's good. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it.

Did you get any of these when in Irak?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mew, I think they should be transported here too. When deer get concentrated so much in one area, it usualy turns bad, disease will set in.

Both of yun's, I did get out, and that is a good thing.

I got some stuff sort of like that, but not one of those. A few things from Churches. It reminds me, a letter from a kid about 12. He seemed real apoligetic, like he was a burden. I failed to write him back. I wish I had.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

Wow, this Yankee girl now knows what Grave Yard Fields, altitude higher than savanna. I'll have to try it out at work :-)

I would like to have seen you doint the little dance while feeding the dogs and Bell howling, thats inspiring a smile.

On your Wed post, just have to not I've been to Brevard and all the surrounding towns on our many trips up the Blueridge

I'm w/ you aall on rounding up the deer. At least they would be enjoying unpopulated nature (so to speak)before they became dinner, stuffed and mounted.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Good to see you, Sparkel. I think their might be some confusion, the "Grave Yard Feilds" is a high altitude savanna. About the whole Shining Rock Wilderness Area is. Maybe it was the wording, I apologise.

It's not like the Hunters take all of the Deer. Deer have a high reproductive rate, and they are just not reproducing. Down your way I heard black tongue hit hard the other year. Dry weather contributes to that.

Yep, it was cool, all bohemian like.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

There, not "their"...I mess up.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Sparkel said...

No apology necessary, I believe it was my bad typos, that led to the confusion, I saw them all after I posted. Bad me was in a hurry and didnt check. And I knew what you meant w/ there, you only had one typo. Bad Me.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The NCWRC wants to reinstate the doe day for the Shining Rock area for 2008.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures are just great . . . the high savannas . . . I wonder if anyone ever got cows that high? It gets pretty wild behind the fish hatchery I guess . . . took my kids there when we visited. There is just so much to see . . . is that what you meant by "glassing" the mountains? The history of it all . . . the last 100 years of it is pretty interesting.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sparkel, OK, I know about that hurrying stuff. Not a problem.

Anonymous, from what we could see and the other Hunters we spoke to, I don't think that is a good idea. Where is it you get your information?

Bill, I would imagine that before that was all Forest Service that cows did make it up into there. They were free roaming.
What I meant by glassing the mountain, we were watching with bionculars and scopes.

The ancient history would be just as interesting.

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The area burned in the 30s. Your grand dad told me he saw the smoke and someone told him the "Balsams are burning". A lot of logging slash on the ground so it was very hot. There was a lot less growth when I was a kid than now.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks for setting me straight on that, daddy. I know remember him saying it was the 30's and I think he saw it from See Off.

I know the Firs were used to make wood for airplanes in WWI, I don't know if they logged them there for that purpose.

The white stumps are gone now. It would help if it burned again, just not like that.

He really is my dad...I didn't think he read this anymore...

6:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

OK, I found a reference to two fires. I do remember Granddaddy mentioning two fires. The first was in 1925 and then one in 1942. The first came from a logging train and the second didn't list a reason. I have heard tale that one was started by a poacher that had been caught. I don't know how true that is. Of course there has been some fires mostly from out of control camp fires since then, but they did not burn so much.
My Grand Father would have been six or seven at the time of the first fire. In 1942 he was gone off to service.
I'll post the reference in my next post.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

H20. Create a uniform Introductory Either-Sex Deer Season for all of Pisgah
Game Land by opening the areas of the game land that are currently closed to
either-sex deer hunting.
Justification: The deer herd on this game land can support the additional
hunting opportunity.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Annon, thanks. This information obviously came from an offficial web site. As for Shining Rock, I don't think it is a good idea. Could you do me a favor and give your source?

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.ncwildlife.org

It's a proposed change to the hunting regulations

They want to open the Shining Rock area of the Pisgah Game Lands back to doe hunting.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can leave comments online:

http://ncpaws.org/regulationswebform/ContentPages/RegulationSelection.aspx

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home