Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Like I said...

I was going to post it...Buttholeville...The Drive By Truckers song that I adopted to my home town, Brevard NC. The song is really about Muscle Shoals Alabama, Patterson Hood's hometown, he wrote it, I adopted it, he doesn't mind the publicity. Me calling Brevard Buttholeville is part poking fun. Small town people tend to think that beyond their horizons are great wealths of whatnots waiting to be had. And there is a degree of truth to that. People tend to think they can get away with things too...They're not being rude, they're being buttholes.

Now the sound ain't great, but you will hear it. Interestingly, this was filmed in Asheville NC at The Orange Peel.

Now thats a seven minute ordeal, so you inpatient dial up heathens, here are the lyrics.
BUTTHOLEVILLE
Tired of living in Buttholeville
Tired of my job and my wife Lucille
Tired of my kids Ronnie and Neil
Tired of my 68 Bonneville
Working down at Billy Bob’s Bar and Grille
The food here tastes like the way I feel
There’s a girl on the dance floor dressed to kill
She’s the best looking woman in Buttholeville

One day I’m gonna get out of Buttholeville
Gonna reach right in Gonna grab the till
Buy a brand new hat and a Coupe deVille
lay a patch on the road that runs over the hill
There’s a beach somewhere where the water’s are still
Gonna lay in the sun till my skin peals
Drinking the best scotch whiskey, eating lobster and eel
and I’m never going back to Buttholeville

Never going, never going, never going never going back!


The only thing is, noone is running me out of here.
The Appalachianist

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drinking the best scotch whiskey, eating lobster and eel in Ashville at the Banana Peel . . . whoops my bad . . . at the Orange Peel. Well , I couldn't help it. The song drives itself. You were right about the sound, but I listened to what I could hear. To me, it is not bad. It could get you stompin,' and it is like a young man's anger and angst so full of energy and life. It is all true and not true at the same time. I liked it . . . the energy of it. The irony of life is that perhaps Butttholeville leave you before you leave it . . . there will be a time and you will wonder where it all went whether you stay or go . . . and to rage against it all like the lead singer does is a young man's game . . . and he did it good . . . I wish I could still drink (never did too much of it) so I could understand what I'm writin'. I enjoyed it though . . . there are times when those kind of songs are just great. Hope this makes sense . . . but then that's the point of it. I liked the song what I could hear and feel of it.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Not bad, like bill says, definitely some energy there. But, like my dad told me, no matter where you go, there you are.

Here's one I found recently

10:06 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, good one. But the wondering where it all went, that time has come and to accute observers it can be seen where it went and what is salvagable. Every small town, has a peice of Buttholeville. Some a little more than others.
I've not been one to drink either, I figure for one that if I have to to make myself interesting or to make things more interesting, I'd be a pitiful man. I used to fear it for having an alcholaholic uncle, that I never saw drunk. But then you'd ask me another day and I would tell I just didn't care for it.

Good find, Gunner. We have our own 88.7 here, convienantly linked to your left, that broadcasts out of Rutherford County and with a tower on one of the Blacks (Mt. Mitchell's range) The two may bump heads in North West NC.

I'm glad you'll liked the energy of it, because as long as such energy exsists, there is hope for every little down south Buttholevile.

Tommorrow is the last day of Deer Season. It's the 7th of December. It does no good to rememebr the event if we don't rememebr our lessons.

Sua Sponte

8:02 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Buttholeville! Just checking in on you. I hope you are having a good holiday season so far.
~xo
Lee Ann

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never going, never going, never going back . . . that's a lot of like . . . er, never going back. It reminds of an old girlfriend or something you just shouldn't do, but you keep on doin' 'cause bad habits are hard to break . . . er, maybe it's a good habit like checkin' in to read postin's on the Appalachian Patria on a Saturday evening. I'm just waiting on the cold weather to get here and another postin' on the ruminations and collected thoughts of the Appalachianist. Bill Sipes

8:25 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Lee Ann, Holidays/Schmolidays...It's Hunting Season.
Thanks though:)

Bill, I don't know about collected thoughts, but I'm about to post some uncollected thoughts. LOL, a bad habit like an old girl friend or reenlisting in the Army...
Can a person be a habit? Can the Army? Can Blogging be a bad habit? Those are things don't want to worry about.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all comes and goes as our life/lives and in between times look up at the sun coming through the mountains and clouds and you are better off not worrying or thinkin' too much about it. I wish I could get there . . . read the rest of Where the Red Fern Grows. It is a gift . . . it really is . . . a man who was part Cheroee living on the Cherokee strip in northeastern Oklahoma . . . it will make you think about . . . well, maybe good habits. Remember, I can talk about it cause my grandson is part Choctaw . . . he's authentic and on the rolls . . . we just can't figure out which part is Choctaw . . . I think it's his ears. Anyway, you're ahead of me . . . keep movin' Thanks. Bill

12:31 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

I prefer to call it the "HOLIDAZE"

And yep, a person can be a habit, sometimes as in a bad one...

4:08 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, thanks again, and I will start reading it soon. Reminds me, I have a plan for a children's book about a "underBeear Dog" that saves the day.
I'm working on others first.

Mew, I know that is you. I agree..HOLIDAZE.
Talk about bad habits, people getting bent out of shape over Christmas traditions.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home