Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Al Sallam Alla Wallacum

I've made it off pst for the second time. Before,it was a trip to Wal Mart and the Ground Round Steak House. I received a four day Pass while training lulls. I've rented a car, ended up getting a nice F150 four door Pickup. It's a nice ride. This will be my last break for a long time. It's my first, not that htere hasn't been slow day's.

Tomah Wi. is a cute little town. It's like Brevard used to be. It has a downtown that doesn't revolve around tourisim. I saw Amish Folk going down the road in a horse and buggy. I've never saw that. You don't have that down South where I'm from. No, I didn't gawk. But, I thought it was cool.

There are some of the Iraqi Culture/Language Trainers staying at the Motel I'm in. I was standing gaurd at a gate(yep, an E-7 pulling gaurd, that's OK, so are some 0-3's, we are a rank heavy task Force) and a van with "Iraqi Officials" pulls up. I have to check their credentials. A Michigan Drivers license. A couple of US offficail Contractor, a couple of females. The official guy is trying to rush me in Aribic and English while I check his ID. "Please be patient" I tell him. One of the women pop over the drivers seat and in perfect English pleasently announces what he wants to say, explaining she is his Interpretor. It suprized me(of course I know she lives in the US and may have even been born here)An Iraqi woman being so...engaging. I found her attractive, so, I had to refrain from making "googlie eye's" at her. I turn my attention to the Official, He understands what I say. Talk to the Individual, not the Interprator. I get clearance for them and let them through. Earlier, I had to try to explain to an "Iraqi Jundi" he had to clear his weapon before entering a building. He didn't speak English. He doesn't want to clear his weapon. Finally an Interprator shows. A "Full Bird Cololnel" allows him to pass anyway, just to calm the incedant.

I don't know Iraqi Arabic yet. I may know it at least some when I get back. Learning to pronounce something from a spelling doesn't allway's work. I don't prononce all of the English I red the right way. How can I do iraqi Arabic? These Iraqi Expatriots have been very helpful. They are making big money, but, more so they are very proud of what they are doing. "We are saving lives" they tell us. I hope they are.

I am a "God Father" now. I have a new Cousin. He was born this morning a little after 0700 Eastern. I can't meet him for months, if not a year. Congratulations Jellouise and Reguvinator.

The Appalachianist.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Hey, good to see you get a break every now and then AI and can get out and see the local scenary.

1:45 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I too have that problem of trying to pronounce foreign words when you don't aways get the English correct! Glad you're able to get out some.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Alright, thnks you'l. It's a pretty country. I went to the Black Rive State Forest earlier. Its hick with White Pines. Pretty peacful.

LOL word verify is spelling wimping

12:05 PM  
Blogger Cleveland Mike said...

Man traveling is sweet. I bet that the F150 you rented was sweet too. Wanna own one? There is a contest from Stylin' Concepts going on right now and you can win one. Details at my blog.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home