Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Wonder and Ye Shall Find Out

Ft. McCoy is a neat little post. The Cantonment area is laid out in a big lazy triangle. Mostly it’s WWII barracks with a few new buildings here and there. The Post Head Quarters sits in the middle. Every day three loud horns blast off the various Bugle Calls. None of them are in cinch, blowing as far as 10 seonds apart, the Flag never moves. Retreat blasts and the flag stays put. I get a kick out of it.

I don’t get to see much media here. I have seen a little bit of the TV News, finally getting to see the Zawrqawi Video that has caused so much excitement. Yep, that Zawrqawi is the Lion of the Desert. Blazing away on an M249 SAW, weapons malfunction and all. Apparently the weapon failed to cycle. One of his Lieutenants comes and pulls the bolt back for him. He looks pissed off as he walks away from the camera. I think he even burned his fingers on the barrel. One thing about our enemies, they sure can make some entertaining video’s. There was a comment about him wearing New Balance sneakers. What’s wrong with that? I just bought me a new pair. Here is CENTCOM’s link to it.

Being here training for Iraq must be setting into my mind, meaning that I’m getting used to it. I’m getting curious about home again. What’s the weather? Is the Sun shining? What’s the latest news around the County? Is anything changing? Flying out of Asheville I sat next to the window of that little Jet and watched Appalachia fade away into the clouds. There it was then gone behind a white veil as if it wanted a quick good bye. I didn’t see the Earth again until we were above the Ohio, where there was no hint that Appalachia existed.

I did get a call from the Reguvinator today. The day I left there was a Forest Fire near the Brevad Music Center. The day before I left there was one next to my house, but not nearly as big. There is a place called Silvermont in Brevard, belongs to the City or County one. It's an old mansion from old man Silverstein, he was a big buisness man, lumber, leather and so on. In front of it were great big Hemlocks. They were diseased and had to be cut down. They have been there all my life. He called me and told me the things I wanted to know. He lived in California He knows what it's like...small changes in a small town. Knowing stuff like that will make it easier to adjust when I get home.

I miss hearing Church Bells. From my house I can hear Church Bells ring from various Churches. To be off in the woods and hear those sweet bells! I can remember my Step Kids Hunting with me and the look of wonder on my Step Daughters face as we listened to the Bells. They play Christmas Carols during Deer Season. Someone once told me that every time I hear Bells ring that God is looking after me. I think that every time I hear them. I don’t think that I will hear any Church Bells ring across a Mountain side from far away any time soon. It’s OK though.

Today was a good day. The sun shined and it was pretty warm. It was a good day for Land navigation.

Some Politician will be telling you next election that our Armed Forces are the best equiped and best trained in the world. They've obviously never slept on and Army Bunk.

The Appalachianist...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please explain more about the ritual of the various bugle calls and the flag.

Very sweet your words on the Church Bells.

Take care.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Army bunk. Yeah, I got a kick out that one, A.I. Remember, all government procurement goes to the lowest bidder, so you get what you pay for. :-)

I believe you're close to Sparta. A good ol' Air Force buddy lives there. Keep meaning to motor up that way and see him, but seems I'm always too busy to do it.

Thanks for the rundown on ALICE and MOLLE. I sorta thought MOLLE was the new one coming on board.

Take care yourself and keep us posted and we'll continue to keep ya' in our prayers.

11:40 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I must be hard to be away when there are things like fires going on back home. I like your memories about the church bells.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Big Dan,
I have put my blog on hiatus. Too much else going on right now. Why do I tell you this? Because now I will have to live vicariously through you. So try to remember, you're adventuring for the both of us now.

Ed

6:16 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Janie, I Really donn"t have much time to get inot it. Sorry. I will try to when I have more time. I need to get to bed early tonight.

Yep, Gunner, I'm near Sparta. Actually got to go there for two hours. The Ground Round Steak House was good. Very good. Even if I did have to wait on my food. I wnet to Wal Mart after that and bought a pillow. I'll leave it for the next guy if I can't pack it.

It is kind of hard Sage, but it's not all bad. It is pretty exciting at times. I had a busy week with long day's. Good Training! Time went by fast though.

Ed, it's hard for me to get on here sometimes. I can check e-mail on a Gov't Puter, but, I don't Blog on one. I have to wait for the chance. Today has been my first time since Sunday. Then I have three e-mail accounts to answer. Whay am I telling you this? Living through me may be a little sluggish. Ed, I know you will Blog again...you will Blog Bravely!

Everyone else. Don't be afraid to e-mail me or comment. Anyone can. Just be patient. I appreciate your support.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home