Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

I'm Off...


Me after Turkey Hunting with twister this Saturday. That's his Mossberg I'm holding. I've already emptied the Guns out of my house. Posted by Picasa
Until now I've been for the most part anonymous. Since, I have to register my Blog with the Unit once I go to Iraq, I might as well be in the open. Also, more family, friends and co-workers are now reading this.

I'm SFC Daniel Wilson, I live in the Quebec(Pronounced kwee-beck) Community of Transylvania County NC. My MOS's are, 11B, Infantry, and 92G, a Cook...Two of the worst jobs in the Army. I've instructed various Leadership Courses and I've been a Drill SGT. As many may pick out I'm a vet of 3rd Ranger Bn. I'll have twenty years in the Army this July.

Monday morning I will get on a plane and fly to a MOB site, Ft. McCoy Wisconsin. I will spend a couple of months there going through the premobilzation train up and then it will be off to Iraq to releive someone waiting to come home. In my mind, I'm prepared to spend fourteen months in Iraq. Maybe it won't be as long, but, being prepared won't hurt.

In the past I've had some pretty hard things to say about my Home Town, Brevard NC...yep, Buttholeville. We're not a pefect place. There is no where I'd rather be though. We have the coolest Street Preacher in the world. He just smiles, waves and say's "God Bless You". He doesn't scream that your going to hell based on the fact you don't go to his Church. He sets an example. People are good here. They look after each other. Since I received my orders they have been nothing but good to me. I appreciate all of their kindness.

There is more that I want to say. I just don't have time and room today. I don't know when I can post again. Apparently the Internet is not very accesable at Ft. McCoy. I will be busy there as well. So, check in from time to time.

"May the wind take your troubles away"

Daniel Wilson, The AppalachianistPosted by Picasa

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel,
I certainly will.

Thank you.
*hugs*

9:51 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Daniel,
If you have those days when you feel like you have also been thrown to the lions just remember that whereever you are God arrived there first and he is with you always. Be blessed my friend and know that you will be missed and that you will be prayed for.

10:41 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Daniel, Take care of yourself and know your being watched over by a loving God. I hope we'll be able to occassionally get a post or two from you. As for the turkey hunting, there's been turkey in the field behind my home for the past month-we see them almost every evening. Of course, there are some that say a turkey lives in my home...

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say...Welcome to north of the Mason Dixon line. I've never been to Wisconsin so I hope you don't leave with a bad image. ;-)

Hurry back.

xo

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way...do I get points for not saying 'My, that's a big gun you're holding?' ;-) Also, if you couldn't tell, I resurrected my old name for old times sake.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank you, Janie, Red Queen, Sage and Murf. I appreciate all you said. Sorry, Murf, i've been to Wisconsin before. I was just a little youngin.
God Bless you All.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

The thing I most remember about Wisconsin was that you could be out in the middle of nowhere and when you got to the next crossroads there'd be an Old Style sign with a bar situated nearby. I swear it seems there was a drinking establishment on every major (and minor) highway intersection.

I used to take a nip every once in awhile in those days so I noticed things like that.

But anyway, I'll repeat the other folk and also say you take care of yourself up there, Sgt Wilson and if you get a chance let us now how it's going.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Good luck and come back safely. Thank you for serving our great nation in this way.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Harold/AQ said...

Keeping a good thought for you, AI. Best wishes for fair winds and following seas.
I know you know this, but... take nothing for granted.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, gunner, EB, an AQ. I won't take anything for granted but the fact that in Wisconsin there are drinking places on every corner. They have pretty women here too.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home