Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Closer To The God's

The Black's north of Asheville, mostly in Mitchell County are the tallest range of all of the Appalachians, home of Mount Mitchell. I had heard that the Catawba Indians would climb up onto them before War in order to be "closer to the God's". Most likely it was the Sara, wich joined the Catawba's after being decimated by Small Pox. How true that may be I don't know, I don't have but so much knowledge of the Souxian People's east of the Mountains. This is not the veiw from the Black's, it's the Balsam's. Devil's Courthouse to be exact. From here you can see the waters of the French Broad, the head Rivers of the Savanna, the Tuckaseegee, and even part of the Little Tennessee. I wasn't closer to the God's, just God. Looking out over his country.
There has been a number more of good bye's. At least some of some sorts. My now retired(and proud of it!) NCOIC treated me to Dinner(that's the noon meal) Saturday. Several of the retired guy's of my old Instructors group came. My old Command Seargent Major(CSM) came all the way from down at Greensboro. He had spent seven months in Iraq(and two tours of Vietnam as well) and had som good advice for me. My retired NCOIC's son in the Gaurd just did his second tour of Afghanistan(also one of Iraq, the Gul War and Panamma too). It was really good to see everyone. They are a great bunch of guy's and I'm glad to have served with them. One of the guy's that is still in is wondering why he's not on the list to go. Give it time and he will be. Just because we're ot together anymore doesn't mean that we're not together, if you know what I mean.

It didn't stop there. My Mothers side of the family is pretty big, Aunt's, Uncles, Cousins, second cousin's, and a few little thirds. There's a bunch of us. They had a get together for me. It was supposed to be for my Aunt's Birthday, but, it was a suprize for me. I knew for sure when those don't usually come to anythng was there. And, my Aunt reached over my head and put a cake down in front of me. They had all gotten me something. A new pocket knife, a modified 5.56 cleaning kit, enough toiletries to last me for some time(two of my Cousin's and an Aunt was already planning a schedule to send them to me), a CD Walkman, Crosss Word Puzzle Books(I've never been big on them, but, I beleive they will be very mind occupying from time to time), a Crucifix(my Uncle said it would be a little protection) and one of my cousin's got me a Penthouse Magazine. LOL! Leave it to him. I was sitting next to my Mother when I opened it, I knew of it was from him I better peak first. I noticed there was a little yellow ribbon on the cover. Also, yep, you guessed it, a little reveiw of The Drive By Truckers inside of it! It was pretty good. I've not been hugged by so mny men before in my life. I know I'm sick of good bye's, but, I try to look at it as an "I'll see you when I'm done".

My Ex's Aunt came by to see me and gave me a four leaf clover. She also gave me some good advice about keeping my house from getting too damp while I'm gone. Remember, this is Transylrainia. It was really sweet of her. They're good people and I'm glad to have know them.

Today was beautiful as you can see from the picture above. But, unfortunatly, it was tragic. One of my Second Cousin's had a Drug Overdose last night. She was taking off of life support today. She was young, pretty and sweet. She had a little Boy, and a new Husband(wich I nothing about). I don't know why. I don't understand it. I was thinking about her hte other day. She was working in a gas station I frequent one time and I hadn't seen her. I think she was 25. May God rest her sweet soul.

There's another picture below.... Posted by Picasa

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there...
It's great to hear your peers and family are taking time for YOU by showing their love and support. I'm glad you have that because That love and care is what you will carry with you to Iraq. In times of highs and lows...you will remember.

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family with the death of your 2nd cousin. Sometimes the pain you feel just gets to be too much and leaving the world behind is so seductive. Prayers for her little boy and her husband.

(Hugs)

10:57 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank You, Janie

6:49 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I spent a lot of time in the Black Mts--we often went to Montreat--nice country which you'll be missing. Since I'm not there to give you a going away present--like a jack knife or sunscreen, I'll post a picture after my staff meeting this morning. Recently I had some old slides copied--the picture will be of the sunset taken from Max Patch, along the Appalachian Trail between I-40 and Hot Springs, NC.

btw, what happened to the boots and pistol? I'm sure Murf will be excited seeing your mug!

7:54 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Hopefully someone will give you a spare duffle bag to haul all that stuff over there!

:-)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Hi there, I thought you might like to see what I posted today. I am really torn about knowing you are leaving but I know this is something that is that must be done. Stay safe and know that we bloggers will be praying for a safe and speedy return.
http://haloscan.com/tb/skwriter/114466158192079088

11:06 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I finally got that picture posted!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, Montreat is a nice place, that's Billy Grahm's hang out. I've been up on them, but, not in years. The Back range is not nearly as big as The Smokey's, Balsam's or the Nantahala's, But, they are the tallest. There is that one in New england disputed to be taller than mt. Mitchell. I'll have to check the pix of Madison County you posted.

Murf...I just keep knocking you off balance.

RQ,I'll make sure to get by htere and give you a read. Thanks for the well wishes and the prayer's. That means alot to me.

Gunner, your not kidding, I can only take 120 lbs of stuuf other than my carry on. I may have to have it mailed to me. I think I can make it fit though.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Hey! I was just thinking about you and you stopped over at my place.
I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers...Stay safe!

1:49 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Yeah, Billy Graham lives there (a Baptist in the Presbyterian Mecca--but his wife's a Presbyterian).

There's no mountains in New England close to the height of the Blacks or even Clingman's in the Smokies.... The tallest peak there is Mr. Washington (I've climbed it, the AT goes over it's top) and it's just barely 6000 feet (about the same elevation I lived in UT). The tallest in Maine is Katadhin which is only a mile high.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, ambiguity is my middle name...even if I spell it wrong.

Lee Ann...Your psychic..Well, maybe your not. Thanks a bunch for the thoughts and prayer's. Just stop in once and a while.

Sage, thanks. I couldn't think of the Mountain there. I've been in an argument over it before.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home