Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Can you Beleive I'm Posting?

I have alot to say, this will read like a random Spot Report. Good to see all of you home folks looking in on me.

My Internet Account at home was shut down for a few day's. if you have e-mailed me there and was kicked back, it now works. The fine folks at the Telephone company and me had a miscomunication. We got it straightened out today.

I ran a PT test yesterday. I ran the 2 miles in 16:34. I hadn't had good sleep for the last two nights. I pulled Weapons gaurd from 0300-0400, didn't get back to sleep. The entire time it felt like my Tanto Blade was lodged in my throat. Today I have a real sore throat. I've been popping the Vitamin C, too.

Last week there was a big encouragment for everyone to put in a Promotion packet. I'm not going to do it. I came here to train up for War, not the promotion game. If I did that my old 1Sgt from 3/75 would kick my ass. I'm not knocking it, it just takes away priorities in my eyes.

We received our rapid Feild Initiative(RFI) issue day before yesterday. Alot of stuff. I'm not sure if I like the MOLLE gear. I'm going to gripe about it...give me time.

The guy in the room with me held te same position I did. We were once the training NCO of the same Company, he took it after me. my team Commander is from Haywood County, he's forced to live in Florida now. One of the other Sqaud Leaders is from Rabun County, he too is forced to live in Florida. Why am I telling you'l this? Well, I just am.

I have an M4 Carbine now, we're going to be using Aim Point Red Dot Scopes on them. i like that. I have never taken to the AR Weapons system too well, I wish it was a more powerful round. But, darn if the thing isn't handy!

I'm reading two books and a magazine. First, "A Purpose Driven Life", chapter a day, except for yesterday. Also I'm re rereading TE Lawrence's "Seven Pillars Of Wisdom"...and I did squeze in a PentHouse article. I know it's a funny combination.

A few people I know are going home. Someone will have to take their place.

I'm still waiting for another sqd member. it's been two weeks...where is he?

I wish I could write a real post. I wanted to last night, but, the training meeting of the Heads went on for a long time. I got the info late and gave it to my guy's at 2200(10:00PM). I don't know why it takes them so long.

I said I came here to go to War. I'm not going to War to kill and break things. I'm going to War to build, secure and susstain. I don't think it was a great idea for us to invade, that's hind site. But, i'm in this and I'm dedicated to the mission. That's all there is to it.

Soar Throat, Out.
The Appalachianist...

4 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I like A purpose Driven Life. Glad you can post.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Glad to see you online also, AI.

Speaking of firearms, young GunTrash came down yesterday from Dayton, OH area to advise me on wiring the garage (he's a electrcian). Stayed the night and we went over to a public range in WV and went shooting today. 1st time in long time. Took a couple of WWII Lee-Enfields, a Mosin 91/59 and my CETME. Great fun. He'd never shot 7.62 NATO before and doing full 20 rd mags thru the semi-auto CETME he got a real kick out of it. :-)

Course my thumb is sore from filling those mags. :-)

Anyway, speaking of M-4, there was only one other feller there and he had an AR variant in .308 He was just packing up when we got there, so didn't get to chat a lot, but he said he also had one in .223 and liked the .308 a lot better.

Did MOLLE replace ALICE? I never could figure out those grunt acronyms.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey, Thanks,Ed. Have you heard the new DBT? I'm still waiting on it.

Gunner, sounds like you had fun. I'm glad. as for .308 in an AR design, that's too big a bullet for that many moving parts. I would prefer the Garrand design. Stoners Gun's have come a long way. Oh, better find some speed loaders.

Murf...Where did you find that Icon? It's as cute as a kitten.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alternative Medicine In Rochester Ny http://cookinflorence.com/ - buy zolpidem Ambien is often very effective because it can help to induce sleep but doesn?t help the patient stay asleep. [url=http://cookinflorence.com/]buy ambien[/url]

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home