Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Not Too Bad

Hello all of you Mortals,

Good News
I’ve shot my M4. The little thing shoots well. The M68 Close Combat Optical(An Aimpoint Red dot Scope) works like a charm. It scared me at first though. I had a hard time getting it Zeroed. When Zeroing you first shoot a three round shot group and ensure that it’s within four centimeters. Group twice and adjust the sites from there. The M16 doesn’t shoot like other rifles. People that have shot all their life have to readjust to M16’s. In order to get a good site picture with the rear aperture site, you have to get your nose as close to the charging handle as possible. For me, my nose has to be right on the charging handle or I don’t get it. So, while shooting the M4, which is a little shorter, I had my nose on the charging handle…just like a good boy. I was all over the place. I usually zero the Weapon in in 12 rounds, with two adjustments. It wasn’t happening and I was getting real discouraged. What was wrong? I shoot better than that. Now, I’m talking Iron Sites, not the M68. So, after discussing it and reassuring myself, I took a lighter to my Sites, re oiled the weapon LIBERALLY, backed my nose off of the charging handle about a ½ inch and had it zeroed in 6 rounds…no adjustments. It looked a little high, so I dropped the front site post a turn. Then put the M68 on, “Lolly Popped” it to the front site post, where the red dot sat on top of the front site post, went out, shot it, 9 round Zero, no adjustments. Shot it on the qualification range, where you have 40 pop up targets at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 meters. 20 rounds from a foxhole, and 20 from the prone. I managed to knock down 35 of them, not Expert, but, just shy of it. I knocked down all of my 300 meter targets, but, for some reason I had a hard time with the 150’s. I think if I could get a little more range time, I could do better. I would blame the wind, but, I did kill the 300’s.

Like a Boat Anchor
It took some getting used to wearing the Body Armor(IBA) with it’s two Ceramic Plates and shooting. While in the prone I could feel the back plate cutting into my neck. It weighs 35 lbs, and fit’s around your torso. I told a fellar today I feel like Robo Cop with the thing on. Well, it could save my life.

It’s about time
My Digital Camera died on me, otherwise I‘d have pictures for you. I figure it’s about time. It’s been a lot of fun over the years. An old Olympus 1.3 Mega Pixel. They have a decent little variety over at the PX, I figure next Pay Day I’ll break down and buy a new one.

Not Fun
I was one sick Puppy over the weekend. I had come down with a cold and it gave me a severe ass whoopin. I think it was Saturday I fell asleep right after Training. Got up long enough to get the “poop” at the Team Training meeting, give out to my guy’s and back in bed. Hacked and coughed my lungs out on into Tuesday. Shooting with the IBA is bad, hacking and coughing with it is as bad, if not worse. Gave me a heck of a sore spot, right on the right shoulder blade.

Bible Characters for $200
I got to pondering today. The saying..”As old as Methuzla”…Now, I know he was in the Old Testament, but, exactly who was he, other than being the oldest living person? I know Adam was 930 years old. I think Seth lived longer. So, this Methuzla fellar had to live an awfully long time.

Sucks
One of our young E-5’s had his Wisdom Teeth cut out today. The boy was all over the place, drugged and trying to communicate to us in his best possible manner. I convinced him to sit down, relax and he fell asleep. I went over to the PX and got him an Ice Pack. A few hours later and he is pretty coherent. I remember having my Wisdom teeth cut out, all four. Frankly it sucked. I remember coming to and seeing the Penrose Quarry from lying down in the back seat. I was in the company of my the Girl Friend, who took very good care of me. I don’t deal well with being drugged. This poor Boy was here in the company of us Virtual Strangers, stumbling around confused, bloody gauze in his mouth and a swollen face. No privacy, just his corner of the open bay. But, he’s OK.

I figure I’ve typed enough. I’m going to use MS Word and cut and paste my posts. That ought to be easier.
The Appalachianist…Head High, Clear Mind and Just Plain Happy To Be Here

6 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Heh, good to hear you doing okay and got over the Badger flu or whatever it was that got you.

I had a Red Dot clone on my High Point 9mm Carbine and never could get used to that thing. Took it off and gave it to the step-son.

Also, from you last post, I noticed the bit about MOLLE. I'm curious, did MOLLE replace ALICE? Or is ALICE still in use?

9:01 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Glad to hear things are going well and you getting your weapon sighted in. Your armour sounds like what a knight might wear--but they were on horses.

As far as Methuselah is concerned, he lived 969 years, which would mean he would have been born around the time of the battle of Hastings, if he was living today. He was Noah's grandfather. See Genesis 5

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see Your ponderings.

You are thought of most kindly...even if I don't understand all that fire-arm talk.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, to answer your question abot ALICE and MOLLE, Alie is slowly fading out. I, so far, prefer the ALICE. I don't like ALICE clips, we used to tie ours down with 550 cord(Parachute chord)in addition to the clips.
Once you learn to shoot with both eyes open, a red dot is a cinch. It's great for siting in on something quick.

Thanks, SAge, Wouldn't you know I would mispell Methuselah.We were figuring he lived a 1000 years. I'll read up on him tonight.

Janie, Murf, Sorry tht you don't understand the firearms talk, Ladies. But, thanks anyway.

Yeah, Murf, Highlander makes you think twice.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose I could have faked it with a few comments like...

Did Molle and Alice have a drag out fight when Alice found out she was being let go? Was she afraid she wouldn't leave a legacy and just fade away in body and spirit? Was it because she didn't like being tied down like Molle who liked it real well especially when the SFC used those clips?

Anyways, great hearing about it all...and that You are keeping those eyes open. ( :

1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ranger Dan et al...it's me, twister! You should see the DPMS .308 flattop M16 derivative my brother got! I shot it and I like it. It's got a Harris bipod, Mueller 4-16x 50mm scope (but he prefers his Eotech HUD sight and you should have one too-it's better than Mike's Bushnell-the Eotech having reinforcement and water-proof circuitry), 3 different kinds of grips (Hoag is in there although I think he discarded it in favor of another-he is looking for the right one), 16" barrel, no-turn pins, no-rattle spacer, ambidextrous selector switch and special sling studs. He is customizing it,in other words. All he needs now is to find out what it prefers to eat. It is heavy 'cuz of the thick target barrel but it is well balanced, solid and silent. He sez he will get a .223 upper next and then perhaps the Grendel whenever ammo becomes seriously available. The 6.8 mm SPC does not hold a candle to the Grendel according to his research so I think the DoD should reevaluate their procurement plans just like they shoulda done with the SAW. The Singapore version was available then. Mike and I ran 3 trotlines last week at my late Granny and Papaw Raby's and was very successful. He does not want to see catfish for awhile. I got a good story about what Mike seen the Littrel Brothers do Sunday but I can only tell you in person-it was cool. Here is a hint-sssqqquuueeeaaalll!!!! I was busy finishing up cleaning my house in Morganton to get my deposit back at the end of the month-no help from Rob. Got a 4.0 for Spring semester and now I am on my final semester now with 11 contact hours this Summer. I knew I could commo with you here and you'll see it. I have missed you two or three times according to the answer machine. Glad to see you are in good shape over there. Right now I can tell you when not to call and that is between 3pm and 6pm although sometimes, like right now, I have to stay here at SCC (or SICK not to be confused with the SUCK) and do homework on the computer. In closing, I would like to say that Janie's last comment was very clever.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home