Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Another Week

This last week has been a busy one. High OPTEMPO, as we say in the Military, meaning Operational Tempo. The Training went on for 12 to 18 hours. It mainly consisted of Convoy Training and was topped off Saturday with a Live Fire (live rounds). There I was fortunate enough to send 7 magazines down the barrel of my M4 at pop up targets. For the most part of the training I was a Vehicle Commander, and then I was a Turret Gunner. I liked pulling the different positions in the Convoy. It gave me several angles to everything going on. Patrolling by convoy is something new to me. Way back when every thing was Dismounted Patrolling, which is a science, that I have seen almost in art form. Mounted Patrolling is more restricted in movement, but, covers more space. Over all it was a learning experience, my time went quickly and we all had fun. The only thing is I would like to do more and expand on it.

All through out the training there was interaction with Civilians On the Battlefield, COB’s. You may have seen that sort of thing on the news. It makes it more interesting and a better learning experience. It’s actually Civilians being paid by the Army to play the part. They get paid and we have better training…It’s a win win situation. Now the thing that has been aggravating is the weather. Mother Nature has taken a turn here in Wisconsin. Wednesday was sunny, and warm. Wearing the Body Armor, Helmet, gloves and knee pads inside a buttoned up Vehicle was rather stuffy. Sweat soaked my Uniform and rolled out from underneath my helmet. The next day was relief…on the extreme side. It turned windy and cold…Then it started to rain. I better not forget the sleet and snow. That was brief though. On the night run there was ice forming on our windshield. Friday we didn’t do any Convoy Training, but, there was a wind chill of 23 degree’s Fahrenheit. Saturday was more rain falling intermittently through out the day. I was trying to knock down pop up targets while wearing rain covered goggles over my Oakley Ballistic Glasses. While at the halt, I pulled my goggles off in order to see the things better. I have long eye lashes (Girls eat your heart out) and while wearing the combination of ballistic glasses and goggles they press against them. It’s uncomfortable. I suppose I’ll have to deal with that.

I spent a part of the morning crawling in the wet sand and mud. Doing the low crawl you have to have the side of your helmet against the ground. Now, I know better, but, I failed to tighten my chin strap enough. The metal mount for the Night Vision cut me across the bridge of my nose. It was minor, but, if you never get cut, scraped or bruised, you’r not training.

The day I went in the Army, nearly 20 years ago, I had a zit right on the same spot. I was miserable. It hurt like the Dickens (the Dickens must have been an extreme family; every thing is like the Dickens). Right before my Service Photo was taken I was told to step through a door and stand still, where two guys pumped boosters into both of my arms. My nose hurt worse than my shot filled arms. Then I had a Green Coat put over me and a Garrison cap slapped on my head. I was sat down in front of bright lights and a big flash. My nose hurt, my eyes watered. You can’t see the zit in the picture, but can see the look on my face.

On to other things…

The Appalachianist

3 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

yeah, welcome to the north. My parents came up from NC this weekend, just in time from all this crappy weather--cool weather and rain--they think I'm out to get them, like the time they visited me when I lived out west and we had a snow storm in mid-June.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Ah yes, springtime in the upper Midwest. They definitely have the 4 seasons up there and I remember at times it seemed they weren't all the same length. In fact, winter seemed longer than the other 3.

Good to hear you're hanging in there, AI. Keep us posted, when you can.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

long lashes...

~sigh~

not fair!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home