Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Guilford Courthouse

After the Battle of Copwens, fought by Daniel Morgan in January 1781, Nathaniel Greene's Army made their way north to Virginia before Cornwallis could catch them. Greene recollected his force and went back into North Carolina. On March 15th 1781 the Battle of Guilford Courthouse was fought. Cornwallis claimed it a British Victory, though costly. Meanwhile Nathaniel Greene and his men marched on..."We fight, get beaten and fight again"

The Appalachianist

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter unable to easily name her third child . . . a daughter, asked me if Virginia Leigh Montgomery sounded too Southern. I was quiet for a moment and then answered her this way . . . . "Whyyyy Missss Elsie, I don't think Vaginia Lee soundsss tooooooooooo Soooouthern!" Well, on the way to my mother's house is a monument to Lord Cornwallis' stay in Winnsboro (a stay mentioned in the Mel Gibson movie, The Patriot). My daughter on seeing the monument concerning Lord Cornwallis slyly said of her now seventh month old daughter, "I wonder what Viginia Leigh would think of Cornwallis' staying here?" She probably would have said on to Washington . . . ooops, wrong waaaaaaaaaaaaa. Bill

8:53 PM  
Blogger sage said...

I've toured the Cowpen's battlefield, but never the Guilford Courthouse one (I'm not even sure what's there). Corwallis victory was hollow, the end was near.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, is there a such thing as being too Southern? That's not for a Yankee to decide either. Don't let them hold you down.

Sage, it was a hollow victory, shooting grape shot into your own men...I've only been to Kings Mountain, though having ancestors that were at Cowpens, and wanting to make the trek on Jan 17th for years, I've never done it. But it snowed like the dickens this year, you know the dickens, awfully snowy they are. I know that one was at Yorktown, so it's possible I had one at Guilford Courthouse too.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home