Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Counting Snows

I believe today was the 9th time I've seen snow this winter, maybe the 10th. I did Deer Hunt in one in the late fall. And snow has been laying in some places since the week before Christmas. No matter, the rivers are well fed, they're fat. The water table is healthy again after the drought and the rivers will have a good current for some time.

The Appalachianist

12 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

This has been a snowy week, with 6 inches on Monday, an inch or so on Tuesday and probably another six today!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous A.G.T. said...

And they said that global warming was bad for us. Hah!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

A.G.T. reminded me of something I saw on the news on Tuesday about a senator wanting to bring Al Gore in front of them and be grilled on this supposed "global warming" thing. That would be fun to watch.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I don't think anyone but the Discovery Channel believes in that stuff any more.

Sage, that gives you 13" on top of what you've already got. Getting deep?

Gunner, long time no see. How much snow have you'll gotten?

8:31 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

But global warming doesn't mean actually warming per se. It has to do with more extreme weather.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous A.G.T. said...

We normally get 2-3 inches of snow in the winter. But I think we've had about 16" so far. That's a lot of snow for the northeast KY foothills.

Actually, the snow is preferable to the freezing rain that we get hit with every other winter or so. That stuff really plays havoc with the power lines, trees, and roads. So as much as I detest snow I'd rather have it then the freezing rain.

But I'm about tired of winter whatever the weather. We're starting to go stir.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Maybe it's time to open some NC ski resorts. Just might help stave off some of the other development.

You could call it Wail, Carolina and compete with Vail, Colorado. You don't got anything against "the beautiful people" it would attract, do you?

9:49 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, that would make it Global Extremeing.

Gunner, I know what you mean about ice. I've got broke limbs on some of the trees. It was pretty icy here. We got where we payed it less mind.

Ed, we don't have ski resorts in this part, except Scaly Mountain, which ain't much. Above Asheville, there is Wolf Laurel and some other, then Cataloochee in Haywood County.

Last night me and a friend were talking about the housing boom here being done. The get rich quick real estate crowd try's to keep it on. Builders hope, but, it's done.

1:14 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

All roads lead to Rome? I have found that to be completely untrue. Which is unfortunate because I would like to have some better Italian food in my life.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

All rivers lead to the Ocean.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh! Everyone is back! It sounds as if the snow has put most indoors and back on the computer. I wish it would snow in Columbia. We did have a day of snow. It was beautiful and gone the next day. I have enjoyed the stories. Bill

9:39 AM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

Bill, I'm glad you enjoyed your snow. The freak snow that fell in Aiken, SC was completely wasted on my grandmother (who lives in Florida and was visiting family). She apparently does not miss what we used to have back home in WV.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home