Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Weezer in the Dust

I was looking for a shots fired incident YouTube that occurred on Taji during my time there and found this video of a dust storm. I saw several of these storms and may have been in this one. When this happens all you smell and taste is dirt. The Iraqis would walk around in it because it cooled things off a degree or two. This video is just over a minute and a half, so it's fairly dial up friendly.

Good 'ol Taji Iraq. Both are four letter words.

I've not resumed looking for the shots fired incident.

I dig Weezer. I think Weezer is so nerdishly cool. Now some of you heathens, and gentiles alike...Remember gentile is a kinder, more gentler word for barbarian...Want to be entertained. I'm not in the mood. I've been writing on something else, I don't feel like writing on the blog. Now I realise you need a break from this election crap. I heard this on the radio the other night so I thought I'd throw it up here.
A couple of years after this song came out on what had been an impromptu date to Bele Chere I quoted this song to the girl...OK, I sung the chorus...It went over her head like a tent. So nerdishly cool.

Every body give it up for Weezer and their hit, Buddy Holly!


Don't be dissing my blog.
The Appalachianist

15 Comments:

Blogger Murf said...

The sand storm was amazing. It made me thirsty just watching it.

Buddy Holly is overrated. I prefer Hash Pipe.

9:05 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

This gentile heathen is grateful for the reprieve from the election crap.
I wish we would put a time limit on it. They get 6 months to run and that is it. Wouldn't that be nice?

I had a Soldier that asked for some Weezer, I did not know Weezer, I went by memory and started looking for Weasle and couldn't find any. He found it amusing, when I told him I couldn't find any Weasle. "No, It's Weezer" "OH!"
Doy.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hey Murf, amazing, yeah. It makes me taste that filthy clay, which being Taji had who knows what in it.

I'm not going t argue over Buddy Holly and Hash Pipe..."We're all on drugs". I like all of those songs.

Mew the thing is they go on and on about a free election, it's dominated by two parties that might as well be twins.

10:15 AM  
Blogger sage said...

I've been in some dust storms out west, but that's amazing!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Love is just a four letter word, also. I think Dylan has a song with that line in it.

Man, that's some dust. I bet the powered equipment takes a beating operating in that stuff.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, that makes two people to use the word "amazing". I suppose that indeed it is. One of my 'terps told me there were three types, the orange one, red and black. In the black one it will black everything out as it was night and when it passes everything is blanketed. Not just covered.

Gunner it does. It also grounds aircraft.

Love is another four letter word. I think Dylan did say that. Dylan also said "when you have nothing, you have nothing to lose". Lose is a four letter word.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still am not back . . . back is a four letter word . . . the video would send you back to a dust . . . four letter word . . . experience. I like Buddy Holly and who knows where he might have gone or where he is now . . . but I can't compare him because I don't know the other groups. I'll try to get busy . . . another four letter word that has left me in the . . . can I say it . . . dare I say it . . . dust and well, Snoopy ain't a bad change-off . . . there was a song about that that is appropriate for most things I have been associated with in my lifetime . . . yeah, but not like my cousin who died last week. They called me at 5:30 in the morning. He was a combat medic in Vietnam. God bless Richard Ladd . . . run the mountains Appalachianist. I was trying to get another cousin to log on . . . they hunt and hunted with a fellow Plott . . . kin to the ones who raised the dogs. Take care and anything you put up is appreciated. It's a good blog. Bill

7:59 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill you seem to haqve a propensaty to use four letter words here. I like Buddy Holly too. I'm sory to hear about your cousin.

7:42 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Bill, very sorry to hear about your cousin. A combat vet in Nam, God Bless him.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Sorry, been gone a while, so let me catch up.
AHFTBL, you said "It's ok to Ramble Ed we all do it, well, maybe not all of us, but the kindred and warped do. You lived in the 'Burg? I have had many a good time there, I am just a squirrels jump in the 'Ville." Ummmm, I am completely unable to decipher the question, so I will venture a "no" for my answer. I live in the southernmost borough of NYC, aka, Tampa.

Not a big Weezer fan, but despite that fact, I do have alot in common with them. See, I too am nerdishly cool. I mean, as long you don't expect too much in the cool department.

Please send me the name of them that have been dissing your blog. I'll whoop 'em. Or perhaps, whoop their kids. Or ruin their credit or something.

By the way, AHFTBR, AI actually is a big fan of weasels. Wicked ones, anyway.

9:17 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Fredericksburg...R'ED

Nerdishly cool? Ummm, that's an oxymoron!!! LOL!

Wicked weasels...I have known a few.

Where is App? Ya still working on your other project?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Ah ha. Yes, close to F'burg. More precicely, King George County. Lived in Ninde and worked in Dahlgren.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I'm a fan of the ladies who wear them...

3:35 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Did anyone see on the History Channel last night the documentary on Hillbillys? It was pretty good.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ah Heck...If I'd known...

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home