Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Dawn Of A New Day


The first day of the year, the new day, it was beginning of the new...A new leaf. And then it was the ending. The first day was the last day. The last chance on the first, the last chance for the hounds to race the bruin, the last of Bear Season. The sky was clear, dark and calm. Squeaky, the Plott Bear Dog, lead to the truck, hopped up and into the box without hesitation. He seemed to know it was the last day, yet seemed as energetic as the first. Hounds loyal only to the hunt. Man and dog alike felt good and hopeful as it was the dawn of a new day, full of change, full of possibilities. Good songs were on the radio, the morning itself radiated a something in itself...Confidence could be soaked through the rays of sunlight shining over the ridges. In the gaps up on the high lonesome, high above the sleepy valleys, high above the suicide kings and drama queens and the unhappiness they feel intrinsic to their lives, the first winds were felt. The wind blew changes in itself. North winds blowing in bitter cold, blowing away the scents. We, the confident die hards, stood huddled around our trucks exchanging possibilities in places and strategies for the last race. The sun grew higher, the wind grew colder, the tracks older. We ran the hounds, ut not getting the race either of us wanted. With the ground freezing under our feet and the winds of change stinging our cheeks we knew it had ended. Yet, we had begun the year right in the dawn of a new day.

Let the Hill Billy Rave Begin!
The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Blogger JohnStanleysMom said...

Bravo! Nicely done on the post.

hugs~

10:10 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

The optimistic outlook leaps from the page. Good!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, Janie, Thanks, Gunner. Gunner, you sure you were not a teacher? Leaps from the page...LOL so do my typos.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

... high above the suicide kings and drama queens and the unhappiness they feel intrinsic to their lives, ...

If you borrowed that, it is outstanding. If you wrote that, it is astounding. I don't know if you were channeling Joey Ramone or Lou Reed or who, but I had to stop and re-read that line a number of times.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I wrote it, Ed. It can be said, part of it was borrowed from Soul Asylum's "Misery" the "suicide kings and drma kings". Though I've not listened to that song in several months. Otherwise, I wrote it. And both terms can be found in the Urban Dictionary.

10:02 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Powerful stuff App. Excellent.

yes Ed, I have wondered if he channels as well.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, Mew.

Joey Ramone?..."The KKK tok my baby away"

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home