Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Random Shots









I don't believe I showed any of these pictures while I was in Iraq. It's just a few random shots. It's five years now and I think we fight over it here about as much as they do there. People have a right to their opinions. Allot of folks on either side just jump on band wagons. That doesn't do nothing but distort things.

The Appalachianist

9 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Pretty desolate looking place, Dan. Is that a Soviet made tank that Iraqi (I assume) is in? T-54, maybe?

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I got a side . . . the army's side. I don't try to . . . well, I just pretty much agree with you. It may seem strange because I cannot do a thing about it, but I worry a lot about people I know who have been deployed. My daughter's husband works at the post office. He told her of a mother who puts a duck (picture) stamp on all the packages she sends to her deployed son. It is her reminder to him to "duck" and stay safe. The story upset me pretty much because I wish it were that simple . . . no politics involved or judgement. . . just a parent's concern. The story got to me. Don't read anything into this except a hope and a prayer for that soldier and his mother. I am not upset at any of our people top to bottom . . . God bless them. My daughter and her family are going to Pigeon Forge on the last of the off-season, and I have been invited to go. I am going. I have been told and I hope to see the statue of Dolly Parton in front of a closed Dollywood . . . I think you rub her nose for good luck . . . er, is that true. I hope it snows while I am rubbing the statue because I will be the hottest old man in the mountains . . . maybe. Bill

8:37 PM  
Blogger sage said...

thanks for the photos--you didn't post too many from your time in Iraq--that place looks very desolate!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, Sage, desolate is the word. In the landscape picture the Tigris River is off to my right. Between it and me are guard towers a dirt burm and fencing then date palms for less than a quarter mile.

That is a T54 with some add ons. They have welded turrets and I could almost stand up in one.

Bill that was pretty creative of the mother. I can't tell you that Dolly's nose is akin to Buddha's belly. In reality Dolly is some lady, so if she could give anyone luck, it would be her.

I'm not sure if I'm out of blogging exile or not. I hope everyone had a good Easter. And a happy first full moon after spring.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I think I'd rather be on the bandwagon than on the back of that truck.

Happy Belated Easter! Is it springtime there yet?

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right about Dolly. God bless her. I meant no disrespect. I was . . . er, having a little . . . er, no a lot of fun at her expense, but I admire her a lot, and I am in awe of her because she is so quick witted, and besides, unlike me, she can sing . . . better than me and Porter . . . may he RIP. See, I am a little country. I didn't see it last night, but I was told that the moon was especially pretty and full. I bet it was real special in the mountains. Bill

4:01 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, the Easter Bunny dropped me like a hot potato when I grew up.

That truck belonged to Universal Security. It had been hit numerous times. It's B7 armored and cost about $100,000.00 new.

Bill, the moon was nice.

Now this is like blogging all over, back to exile.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Been holding my comments until I was sure yoou were out of, as you put it, blogging exile". Didn't want to disturb your solitude.

Be sure to announce your full return, OK?

I was in Charlotte a couple of hours yesterday. It was cool, but you could feel the spring. Rhode Island and New York haven't gotten the memo yet.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I'll let you know.

Spring is springing...Let Freedom ring!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home