Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cantrell Bridge



Dirty South
That is the “Canterll Bridge” over the West Fork of the French Broad River in Transylvania County NC on Thanksgiving morning. That is an isolated stretch of road through a section of the Pisgah National Forest, it’s Game Lands. There is a story that a long time back there was a murder in the county. The Deputies found the killer there along that stretch kicking the mans head up and down the road with nothing but hatred in his eyes. It’s a pretty stretch of road and peaceful along the river. You’d never know that something like that had occurred there.

Hatred
I got that look of hatred twice in Iraq. They hated everything about me, everything they perceived me to represent and everything I did actually represent. It was brief, seconds, but it was there, probably not as severe as a man kicking someones head down a road. I have people that don't like me, but that was seething hatred, not anger, not resentment, hatred. They weren't all like that, but that was hatred.

Last Post
To say Rush was the greatest out of Canada is a matter of opinion. But that was a note of my opinion. Music has fore shadowed what I meant to be a...hint...spark of a thought, without conclusion, that not all in this world is set in stone. But there is a constant, an undeniable fact that if you don't decide, a choice will be made for you. While there are times when one can stand back and see what falls into place, to accept the results is a choice.

It's storming and Bosco has come inside, keeps climbing on me...oh her breath stinks...
Well, that was last night and God has given us a beautiful morning.
Both my Dad and my Brother are working on a paper mill in south Alabama. They live in campers there during the week. That town got hit with a tornado last night. I hope they have campers left.

The Appalachianist

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now "hatered" would have to be that shade of red, sorta like crimson brick red. The kind you could imagine being from the pit of hell. The kind you see when you "see red" before you take a kaiser blade to somebody.

1:11 PM  
Blogger sage said...

interesting story about the bridge--I've seen real hatred only a few times--what's nice about it is that it's so apparent, too often our hatred is hidden and then it is even more dangerous... If our temptations only came from a red guy with horns and a pitchfork, we'd have no problems walking (or running) away from them... but they're more seductive than that... Don't know where this is going, but wanted to let you know that I posted the piece about my ordeal today.

Oh, I like Rush, but I liked Guess Who better...

3:11 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I seen it in them Twister, not me. Don't be picking on my boy Carl. Almost sounds like a Wargasm.

Sage, your right, it's something people really rarely see.
"If our temptations only came from a red guy with horns and a pitchfork, we'd have no problems walking (or running) away from them... but they're more seductive than that... " Well said.

Yeah, The Guess Who, Canadian men singing about American women. Thanks, I'll catch the ordeal in the AM.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That storm must have come over and through the mountains because it came to Columbia and rained all night long not just one or two hours. It was a long, soaking rain that was much needed . . . no reports of a tornado though. Hope all is well . . . ask Bosco to brush his teeth (ain't I smart). Bill

6:19 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, Bosco is a she. She can be a real playgirl.

I got word from my Dad that the tornado missed the campground by a 1/4 mile. It did a number to Wal Mart and K MArt, so he figures FEMA will inundate them with help. As long as it didn't hit the Bass Pro Shop...

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like to admit it...but I've seen hatred in my mothers family. Guess that's why I am here...and they are there.


On a different note...sent out several copies of the Sport Illus. Swim Suit edition that came out Wednesday to some wanting "joes". Have You seen it yet. Page 186 has Seattle's own Seafair Pirates modeling....with a girl of course!

Glad your family members a-ok.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Howdy, Janie. I don't suppose hate in a family is a good thing. I can't say that hate is a good thing.

No, I've not seen it. I didn't even get a a Wicked Weasel catalog this year. I still have Ms. December on the wall.

Oh they were not near it, it was their property that was at threat. It would just suck to have a 5th whell camper blown away. I don't camp like that, it's a bag or a tent.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Calendar I meant...catalogs are nice too.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Boy, I just looked up there and saw Libertarian Ads on the Ad Banner. At last something relevant!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

Someone actually hates you? Unthinkable. :-)

Maybe FEMA could give your brother and dad some of their leftover Hurricane Katrina trailers for a good price.

Dogs breath knows no cure although of the two, I think cats are worse.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh yeah, Murf, I am disliked in a few circles. I don't think anyone hates me though. But, in the situation at hand,it's unreasonable for us to be in a quasi state of war with someone for years, bombing and killing a great number of them, then invade and occupy their country and not have someone hate us. Now on the other hand, despite all of that allot more could hate us, but has an alternative feeling or attitude toward us. That's just the way that it is.

No, they can avoid FEMA, it didn't hit the campground they keep their trailors in. My brohter was going t take a trailor down to New Orleans and called the guy and never heard from him.

How is Big A's Arabic coming along? I got to practice some the other day.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I don't know, A.I. I think I could persuade people in countries that we are invading and bombing to like me. If not, I will just tell them that I'm a Rush hating Canadian.

He finished most of the first section before quitting due to an inadequate instructor. He thought that the guy needed to learn English before he can teach Arabic. There is a second section offered but unfortunately, the same guy teaches it.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I am proud I did get along with my Iraqi Counterparts. I got an e-mail from an interpretor this morning. It was a forward, but it was an e-mail.

I met several Ex Patriot Iraqi US Citizens from Dearborn. Someone is around to teach him. But, it is Ironic that the guy doesn't speak great English. One of our lesser terps was a son of an English teacher. He didn't have the grasp that others did. You could tell him one thing and another be told. My counterparts realized it. We lost things in interpretation.

A couple of weeks ago I encountered a couple from Jerusalem and exchanged some Arabic with them, well the lady, the guy was busy. I hate to admit it but I could not get "shukran" out of my lips. But then occasionally I will have Arabic slip out.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

I think I'd find it entertaining to hear someone with a southern accent speak Arabic. Do I dare ask what you were thanking her for? :-)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

She was serving me food. A Gryo.

10:07 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

Parsley helps w/a dogs bad breath. Also check the teeth for infection.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

So an Israeli who spoke Arabic was serving you Greek food? Only in America.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That's a thought, Mew, but her breath has always stunk. Darn Yard Varmin.

Yeah, Murf, it is sort of funny. She was a Muslim, they closed on Friday. Ethnically, she may or may not have been Arab. She was pleasently surprised to hear me say "Salam Alacum".

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I knew that Bosco was a girl dog. I think that threre are some dog biscuits that can help that. I ain't got nothin' to say just checking in and reading everyone's wisdom and thoughts. Remember, a catalog is a good thing . . . especially a Sears catalog . . . Mother Joad in the Grapes of Wrath picks one up cleaning up the cabin and says " . . . might come in handy some time." Spoken like a true Oaky once removed from tha South. Salam Alacum Bill

6:31 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

The Grapes of Wrath...
Masahlama Bill.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rivioni said...

hey I'm Elizabeth Burkett, My family were Mitchells and we're kin to the Cantrell's in Transylvania County that bridge is a part of my Family History, thank you for posting it. I've heard that story too. Rumor has it it's true.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Elizabeth, fortunately I remembered to subscribe to the comments on this one.

I suppose you also know of Cantrell Mountain?

I don't know any Mitchel's, but, I know the other names you mention.

Anyhow, have fun, "dance around the campfire, hang around a while".

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Kitty said...

I'm from around here and live across the mountain from Cantrell Bridge, but have never heard that story. Do you know anymore details about the story?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Kitty,

I admit this blog is about dead, but, thanks for coming by.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you who the men were or where the murder took place. I can't say when it took place.

If you ask around, particularly with people in there 60's you'll find someone that knows more than I do. I've heard parts of the story from different people through out my life. I'm out of the county now (the other side of the world) and I don't know who I could e-mail to ask.

My former in-laws mentioned names once.

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye. Thank you very much.

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what I do for this company and what they do for people, makes beats by dre homes. He built consensus in the region and introduced a シャネル 通販 authors Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen share with you that moncler jackets Outlet are parked in a safe place; this will help reduce the risk for
and effective way to get your mower off the ground and hold it Isabel Marant Shoes details that would be difficult to do with a knife. But if youd NFL Jerseys the cards are shuffled after every hand. Several other types of ルイヴィトン財布 these services please visit our website. You have probably walked
exceptional type when they buy Jack wills & Fitch goods. Chaussure Louboutin line that begins to curve down and continues that way for NFL jerseys be seen in the Irish Sea Pioneer, a 4-legged jack-up which was christian louboutin paris they marveled at its size and at how easy it was to carve. From

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home