Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sally



Sally was killed by a car Saturday. Twister had let her run at his parents house while he cut fire wood and she had made her way down to the road. Sally was a smart dog and had potential as a Bear Dog. She was good to follow other dogs leads and to stick with them. She did some funny things. We were off in Jackson County near Pinhook and she managed to squeeze out of s dog box as the truck was rolling down the road. She got skint, but she ran behind until another hunter picked her up. sally had been on a bear once. Hounds don't know borders. The world is a forest to them. A black top is not an over romanticized strip of pavement, it's something to cross. Hunting dogs are true to Woody Guthrie's lyric, "I saw a sign and it said not trespassing, I looked on the other side and it said nothing." She was about a year and a half old.

The World Is A Forest

Think of me what you wish, but, I believe God holds a place for dogs. A place where they run and hunt the wild animals. He gave them that nature. He made them and everything else as he did us. Why would he not?

A higher love that rises above
Rises above yeah a higher love
See the silver set beneath the stars
a hundred million voices that cry as ours



Bosco Race

I had no intentions of posting about dogs. But the day started with them. I let Bell run loose off of her chain this morning. I had Squeaky on a a lead. Bell got off in the woods. I hollered for her then as Bosco, loving yard varmin she is, went to loafing, Bell opened up. I looked down the drive way and Bell was in Bosco's face bawling. Bosco reared her head back and looked puzzled. Bell ran along in Bosco's face bawling, down the driveway and out across the creek with that Wiggly Butt Walker Dog in tow. I had to laugh. Finally I caught Bell and had to carry her over my shoulder all the way back up my drive way, about a third of a mile. Low and behold, it appears shes in heat, in February. I guess Bosco looks a little like a Bear. But Bell hasn't seen but one hanging. I've had some concern of her, but maybe she will do good. Right now she's locked up safe and sound.

To rise above it all above our hearts
she gave everything everything to me
See the silver set beneath the stars
a hundred million voices that cry as ours


The italicized words come from The Cult's song "Citizen", from Born Into This.

More to be said later...
The Appalachianist

13 Comments:

Blogger 1776 said...

App, I am so sorry about Sally. Gosh, that is very sad. I imagine Twister feels real bad. She was a pretty dog for sure. I know she was loved and that is all one can ask for.

I believe dogs go where people go, no one can tell me they don't have a soul. So yeah, I know when I cross over I will see my beloved dogs and cats that went before me. No doubt in my mind whatsoever.

Sending you big hugs from VA.
Mew

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwww, man . . . such a pretty dog . . . the story reminded me of every dog I ever lost crossing the road . . . it's a road tht runs through everyone's life . . . a cocker spaniel and a short haired pointer . . . a dog with such great potential . . . Tucker . . . well, I am sorry. I really am. At least, she is being memorialized on this blog. Bill

8:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mew, Twister was pretty bummed about it. Heck, I was myself. She was going to do good. Even if Red Bones do Coon's better than Bear. Sadly, he was about to get rid of her once he found someone to take her. He was going to take her to Ga to Hog Hunt her the next day.

Thanks for the hugs...

8:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, sorry I missed you...Yeah, it's a damn shame. Heck, I've ran over my on dog.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let Twister know that I was sorry to hear about Sally. Great picture of her. Animals...and cars on the road..sigh.... Have my own stories on such and still have twinges of the heart when I think of my own losses.

and more pics of you all doing the hunt.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Jannie, Twister looks at this about once or twice a week. He'll read it himself. She WAS a very photogenic dog.

Actually, pictures are scant. That's a resolution, more hunting pics...Got vids!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well darnit, sorry to hear that. She was a good looking dog. Glad to hear Bosco stays close and don't go for no foolishness like crossing roads and chasing bears.

:-)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh yes Bosco does, Gunner! She hates a Bear and fears no road. If a Bear steps in the yard, she's on it's ass.

sally was a good looking dog, bad to bark in the box and charge out on you, but she'd stick with another dog.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

Well, Twister must be relieved not to have to worry about finding someone to take her. You guys go through dogs like water and I don't mean that to be a compliment.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, I don't see how I could take it as a compliment. Yeah, losing these dogs has been a shame.

8:29 PM  
Blogger The British Bird. said...

Hello App, long time no see, I thought I would stop in and find out how you were doing this side of civvy life and low and behold I find you going through dogs.

It could be worse.

well, heres how I see it, from a womans point of view its all slushy and mushy. I love dogs, buried many a beloved pet in my old garden back in England. We had to tell the new owners of the house were not to dig or they would have disturbed many bones. Our dogs were family members who had rights to the sofa, and the warmest spot by the fire if they got there first. I still want to bawl I miss them so. They ran in a pack none the less, we called them The Hounds Of The Baskervilles.


So are you going to find another wriggling ball of fur to replace sally?

On the TV the other sunday was a program about English Fox Hounds and how they do not make good house pets as they are miserable alone and all they want to do is hunt. Is that true for your dogs? Coon hounds arent they?
BTW did you know the American Kennel Club now recognizes this breed? They had a coon hound competing in the Hunting categories.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Brit Bird, your an attractive lady, your husband is a lucky man.

Thanks for remembering me..BTW listening to a Brit band...The Cult.

Actually that was Twister, a friend that goes back to my days in 3/75, the late 80's, dog. He's out of the dog business, but, I'm still in.

There is no specific breed of Coon Hound, most hounds used for it came from...Jolly old England:) Now, speaking of the AKC, the UKC, which my Plott Hound, Squeaky, is registered with does not register "Buck Skin Plotts". It was once accused that many were cross breeding with Red Bones to get the color, but, it is really a gene thing. It was something that occurred in the old Plott Family stock of dogs. However, the AKC does register Buck Skin Plott Hounds.

I realize you may not know what I am talking about. That is one reason I need to hurry up and do a Book Review.
"Strike and Stay, The Story of the Plott Hound", which I recently read.

7:49 PM  
Blogger The British Bird. said...

How could I forget you? Besides I still have most of my faculties.

I adore the Cult have the last two albums floating around somewhere

I have true beliver and High Octane Cult.

Rumor has it theres a new one comeing out soon.

The Black Crows are another fav of mine, again a new album coming out.
I have to get off this thing or im not going to get everything done before I have to leave for work! Have a great day.. more later.
Bird.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home