Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ant Poison

Let me tell you about my ants. There's millions of them. They're mean, hungry and as persistent in annoying you as the day is long. Some have claimed them "Allegheny Ants", I don't know what they are called, I'd like to call them dead. These ants don't belong here. They don't show up just any where in the county. The only other place I ever seen them is in Washington State. There they build hills head high. Here, they build in much of the same fashion, but never get as high as your ankle. They make paths across the ground, but not as organized as the ones did in Panama. My theory is that some one unwittingly brought them back from the North West visiting home. As, I've told you long time readers before, allot of people here have relatives out there, including myself. They went out there to cut timber and only came home to visit. And, as I think, someone brought those ants here.

The winters here are harder than out there, at least on the west side of the Sierras. So, they can't build like they do out there. But they will take over what ever they can; including my house. Every year I see them crawling around and then in days their little crumped bodies on the floor. I've already put out an entire bag of "Bug Be Gone" and they're back. Maybe because it was dry when I put it out and I didn't spray enough. I hit them with different things. They were slower to come this year, and are proving harder to kill. For a few days they weren't showing up like before. I killed the ones in the yard, but not in the woods.

Hard rains seem to slow them down. But, that's all it does. This week I'll throw out another bag of ant killer and see what happens.

The Appalachianist

7 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Ever see that old horror movie, set somewhere in South America, about ants eating everything in their path. just asking... :)

9:24 PM  
Blogger pipsqeak said...

maybe you should try some Torro?

P.S. deer head in a bucket of tide for a few days seems to have worked only moderately well. Next step is hydrogen peroxide bath. I'll keep you posted.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Pipsqeak, the smell is that bad? I hope hydrogen peroxide will do it. I would keep boiling it.
Now, I can try torro. I don't think we have.

Sage, I don;t think I've seen that one. But, it could happen, darn things are vicous.

Right now they're keeping the bears around. The dogs have been in a fuss for about three days and I saw sign of where one tore some roots out to get to the ants.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Hannu said...

I remember those huge ant hills made out of pine needles at Ft. Lewis, WA. There are so many of those ants, it looked like the ground was moving. And the range guys always cautioned us about destroying or messing with them. I have tens of thousands of ants here at Choreless Acres in central Oregon. But, they work in the ground and typically the mounds are sand and about 1/2 inch at highest. If I decide to put some grass in the front and back of the house; then I will have to wage war on them.

Take care, Hooah !

5:20 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hannu, that's about how they build here. They are not native. The winters here are wet and cold. We saw a month of below freezing temperatures this year. Not the drizzle of Tacoma, but, pour downs. Here local, about 100" a year. 15 miles away it's 60" a year. I don't think that they can build constant like they do there.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got an uncle who shot an aunt one time . . . maybe we can get him on work release . . . don't you just hate this sort of comment . . . ;>), but I live on the backside of the mountain . . . in fire ant country . . . at least they don't seem as bad as those "army" ants in some areas . . . I wonder when we will see those ants marching in their millions? I have wondered if some of these "new" species are not being brought into the country as a kind of environmental terrorism. Perhaps much of it is just due to stupidity as in you buy something from a pet shop with a handout to Bubba who can't read telling him to "don't release yo maneatin' fish in the local pond in the summer time during . . . er bubba's breedin' season while you, bubba, is skinny dippin' in da pool with da fish. I know the ant problem is aggravating . . . good luck with it. You may remember Bruce Baily. He came by to visit me yesterday and stayed an hour. We had a good time. Take care Bill

7:47 AM  
Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I think I can get along with anything other than fire ants. Around here in Georgia we have little wingless wasps that look like furry ants about three eighths of an inch long. They don't come in hills, but don't swat em by hand.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home